JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive Your First Child (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/)
-   -   when to start charting bbt? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/2592786-when-to-start-charting-bbt.html)

Ms_Friendly November 6th, 2012 08:49 PM

when to start charting bbt?

I was just wondering when to start. I started my period november 2nd night and ended today..so when should i start taking my bbt? and how do I know when I ovulate? This is all new to me! thanks :)

kbpeanut November 6th, 2012 08:55 PM

Re: when to start charting bbt?

You can start charting and temping anytime. Be sure to use a basal thermometer, that is, one that records your temp to the .xx degree. You can use a regular one, but basal is more accurate. Fertility Friend is a great free charting site to use. You can record your temp, along with many other signs to help you pinpoint ovulation.

Temping alone will only allow you to confirm ovulation after it happens. Once you see a temp rise or shift that is sustained for 3 days, that usually signals ovulation occurred. Many ladies also like to use ovulation predictor kits as well. These will allow you to determine a window in which you should ovulate, before it happens.

There is a lot of info out there...and I hope that some other ladies here will chime in with some more info for you. Things like cervical mucus and position can also be good for tracking.

Hope this helps!

plan4fate November 6th, 2012 10:08 PM

Karen covered it well.

I always started on the last day of my period, because my flow is so heavy. Once my eyes are open it's a race to try and keep any mess contained... laying in bed for a min to wait for a temp isn't going to happen :)

Jen@FirsAve November 7th, 2012 03:20 AM

Hi, Karin covered a lot of what charting entails, I personnally dont start charting until around day 10 of my cycle as i like my sleep but I have been doing it for long enough now to have a better idea of when ill likely O. As your starting out, if you have a BBT (basal thermometer) i'd say start today, it can take a while of getting used to doing it properly (it has to be done at the same time each day) so your chart will likely be wonky for a while but try and stick with it!

Fertility Friend, the website Karin mentioned does have loads of tutorials available too which will cover the basics of charting. I would also recommend a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility

Hope this helps, :gl:

Nicholle ttc November 7th, 2012 04:58 AM

:ditto: to Karin and the other ladies. Each cycle varies for me, I usually try to temp everyday, but I'm a bit more lax at the beginning of each cycle. Good luck! :dust: