JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive Your First Child (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/)
-   -   Featherbabies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/2635480-featherbabies.html)

ImALittleTeaPot March 17th, 2013 12:17 PM

Featherbabies

DH and I have been talking for almost a week about getting some baby chicks. Since we live in a rural community where we can have chickens in our yard and can't have indoor pets and don't really want outdoor cats or dogs, we thought that chickens would be a nice alternative... We have to keep them inside as chicks to make sure they stay warm and are eating/drinking, but then when they get bigger, they will also provide us with eggs. Win-win! Plus our landlady LOVED the idea... she's probably going to get some too.

Yesterday, we went and got two little featherbabies -- Assorted Bantams.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...62626033_n.jpg

Their temporary names are Stripey (weighing in at 17 ounces) and Yellow (a whopping 24 ounces!).

Night 1 was rocky to start... Stripey had a nasty case of pasty butt (her duct was clogged and we had to unclog it or it can cause severe illness -- even death). We cleaned her up and she's doing great! They're noisy, but cuddly and will attach to the first "big thing" that makes contact with them and adopt them as their mommy/daddy. It's definitely filling a need that we both had.

Next week, we'll start making plans to build a coop outside!

plan4fate March 17th, 2013 12:45 PM

Re: Featherbabies

:) too cute!

I don't do birds.... and chickens hate me. Dh's parents have them in their yard, and they don't bother anyone... except me. I think my SIL's trained them to do it.

Boolajoojoo March 17th, 2013 01:17 PM

We have a coop of a dozen chickens, but none of them are really socialized with people. I have heard that Bantams can make great "pet" birdies if they are well adapted to the presence of humans.

I have been thinking about getting a rooster this spring, but TSC won't sell chicks in quantities of less than 6. I just want one! We already have more eggs than the two of us can keep up with eating and we're selling a few dozen eggs a week to various coworkers.

Yay little chickies!

Boolajoojoo March 17th, 2013 01:17 PM

We have a coop of a dozen chickens, but none of them are really socialized with people. I have heard that Bantams can make great "pet" birdies if they are well adapted to the presence of humans.

I have been thinking about getting a rooster this spring, but TSC won't sell chicks in quantities of less than 6. I just want one! We already have more eggs than the two of us can keep up with eating and we're selling a few dozen eggs a week to various coworkers.

Yay little chickies!

Jen@FirsAve March 17th, 2013 02:26 PM

oooh so cute! I cant say i've ever spent any quality time with chicks or chickens but they look like you could give them a cuddle! Please make sure you keep us up to date on them!

butterfly721 March 17th, 2013 02:26 PM

So cute! I always had baby chicks when I was a kid.

ImALittleTeaPot March 17th, 2013 02:44 PM

We are crazy in love. Every time they peep a little too loud, we run to see what's wrong! In fact, DH just notified me that "Stripey" just pooped! (This is such good news since she had pasty butt last night!)

ALSO, I just noticed a typo in my first post. They are 17 and 24 GRAMS, not ounces. They are TINY TINY baby birds!

My grandma and papa had chickens, and I loved visiting their little "farm." I'm looking forward to our little ladies! (Still crossing our fingers that they are ladies! And Amy... if one of them is a rooster, you can have him!

ImALittleTeaPot March 17th, 2013 02:44 PM

We are crazy in love. Every time they peep a little too loud, we run to see what's wrong! In fact, DH just notified me that "Stripey" just pooped! (This is such good news since she had pasty butt last night!)

ALSO, I just noticed a typo in my first post. They are 17 and 24 GRAMS, not ounces. They are TINY TINY baby birds!

My grandma and papa had chickens, and I loved visiting their little "farm." I'm looking forward to our little ladies! (Still crossing our fingers that they are ladies! And Amy... if one of them is a rooster, you can have him!

Cait&AngelAbove March 17th, 2013 03:32 PM

They are toooo cute!

Boolajoojoo March 17th, 2013 03:42 PM

Haha, I'll take im, but shipping a live rooster might be impractical.... I have seen ads on Craigslist "I am sick of this rooster, come and get him and I will give you $5"

Hopefully they are both girls, if they lay a dozen eggs a week between the two of them, you'll be in pretty good shape!

Don't you wish you were a chicken and could ovulate every day? :whistle:

Boolajoojoo March 17th, 2013 03:43 PM

Haha, I'll take im, but shipping a live rooster might be impractical.... I have seen ads on Craigslist "I am sick of this rooster, come and get him and I will give you $5"

Hopefully they are both girls, if they lay a dozen eggs a week between the two of them, you'll be in pretty good shape!

Don't you wish you were a chicken and could ovulate every day? :whistle:

ImALittleTeaPot March 17th, 2013 05:33 PM

Haha! I couldn't imagine shipping a chicken! I'd be so terrified the entire time! Luckily, we have a few families around that said if we get overwhelmed at any point, they will take any/all chickens that we need them to, including roosters. So that's nice!

And yes, ovulating daily would take the guesswork out of baby making for sure!!!

ImALittleTeaPot March 17th, 2013 05:34 PM

Haha! I couldn't imagine shipping a chicken! I'd be so terrified the entire time! Luckily, we have a few families around that said if we get overwhelmed at any point, they will take any/all chickens that we need them to, including roosters. So that's nice!

And yes, ovulating daily would take the guesswork out of baby making for sure!!!

momology March 17th, 2013 07:12 PM

So adorable!! They look so soft and sweet :smile:

Nicholle ttc March 18th, 2013 06:45 AM

So cute! Enjoy your little chicks! :D

SmilingSam March 18th, 2013 08:23 AM

I love this! And I'm so envious that you will have fresh eggs! That's also funny that you guys were excited for a chick to POOP!