JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive Your First Child (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/)
-   -   A little confused (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/2645573-little-confused.html)

Mbwebb11212 April 24th, 2013 07:12 AM

A little confused

Hi everyone,

I have a question for you ladies. I knew I was going to get my period this morning and I meant to stop at CVS after my dinner date with some friends but I completely forgot. I went this morning and bought the BBT and the Clearblue fertility monitor sticks. I know you're supposed to take your temp as soon as you wake up and use your first urine of the day. I just took my temperature now and was going to use a test stick but did I screw myself up?

Also, do you guys recommend using the sticks twice a day?

And considering I just noticed that I have the test sticks but not the actual monitor (I thought the sticks were the monitor, like a pregnancy test). If I go buy it at lunch is it too late?

ArmyWife28 April 24th, 2013 07:17 AM

Re: A little confused

I'm probably not much help but I haven't used the sticks yet. I've oly used the BBT and it seems to be pretty accurate.

left_field April 24th, 2013 08:11 AM

I don't chart or use opks....I just notice CM so I'm no help, but wishing you luck

SmilingSam April 24th, 2013 08:11 AM

Are you talking about OPK sticks? You won't need to start using an OPK until CD 10, although the Fertility Monitor starts you taking them at CD6. OPKs may be taken multiple times a day. Some women will advise you to use first morning urine (FMU), second morning urine (SMU), afternoon pee, evening pee, any pee, dehyrdated pee, you cat's pee....okay, not your cat's pee, but you get the idea. Ashley (Plan4fate) has an example of how she will take multiple OPKs in a day because her LH surge (which is what OPKs measure) is very short.

In short, no you have not messed up.

Mbwebb11212 April 24th, 2013 08:21 AM

Thanks ladies. I'm sorry, yes, talking about OPK sticks (I lol'd at the cat pee comment) the package says I'm supposed to start on the first day of my cycle, isn't that the first day of your menstrual cycle?

Oh wait, you know what, I have a fertility monitor kit not the OPK, I thought I had the right one.

Jen@FirsAve April 24th, 2013 09:42 AM

With the bbt there is no problem with you missing the first day (or a few in between for that matter) but it mustbe when you first wake up bbefore you get out of bed or do anything.

The cb fertility monitor is similar to an opk, you pee on the sticks and put them in the monitor (the monitor is pretty pricey btw - just incase you hadnt realised when ypu grabbed the sticks). The monitor should come with instructions as to when it wants you to test. I *think* it needs fmu but dont quote me on that. As your only cd1 you do still Have plenty of time to figure it out though so don't panic!

Hope that helps!

plan4fate April 24th, 2013 10:44 AM

I've never used the fertility monitor, DH and I just didn't see the advantage to it.

Everyone gave good advice, but I'll repost the picture the girls were taking about with my opks.

bottom 3. 11am, 6:30pm, 10something pm. voila...

http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...f291d6d861.jpg

In total, that's 4 days worth of opks. From Wednesday at 1am to Saturday at 10pm something

girlsofsummer April 24th, 2013 11:58 AM

What Jen said, especially the part about not panicking :)

Ashley, thanks for sharing that picture. It's a really good point of reference.

Mbwebb11212 April 24th, 2013 12:19 PM

Thank you everyone, you ladies are awesome. I'm assuming the fertility monitor will be pricey. The sticks alone cost me $62 and that's for 30, I couldn't believe it.

So, Jen, does that mean you had an LH surge at 6:30pm? I'm guessing, judging by the sticks, that when you have an LH surge the strip on the left will resemble the color on the right? The last strip is very light though, so does that mean the surge doesn't last for very long?

I'm sorry, I meant Ashley in regards to the OPK's

plan4fate April 24th, 2013 12:49 PM

lol. correct. I caught the lh surge at 6:30pm. When I tested less than 4 hours later, the stick was back to negative.

Yup, the lines need to be of equal color, or the test line (line on the left in this case, usually I take them with the strip in the opposite direction) will be darker, as in my case this time.

I have a very fast surge. Some cycles it's been long and drawn out getting to the positive opk, but I go back to negative with in hours.

momology April 24th, 2013 01:10 PM

Sounds like the other ladies have already given you great advice!! Just wanted to second what they said. No problem at all about missing the BBT just start tomorrow and make sure to take your temp before you get out of bed or drink any water etc. OPKs can be started around CD10.

Best of luck to you!

ImALittleTeaPot April 24th, 2013 06:48 PM

:ditto:

Good luck! :)

Mbwebb11212 April 25th, 2013 06:14 PM

Thank you everyone. You guys are awesome :)