JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive Your First Child (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/)
-   -   Update on doctor's visit - not good news (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/2647693-update-doctors-visit-not-good-news.html)

shakou May 2nd, 2013 10:46 AM

Update on doctor's visit - not good news

So the Doctor just confirmed and put a name to something I've instinctively known I've had since I was 15 years old - I have PCOS. This essentially means, my ovaries aren't dropping eggs, which means I can't get pregnant without medical assistance. Obviously I'm not happy, but I'm relieved to finally have a name to my problem, and can act accordingly rather then just guessing. I'm also borderline diabetic. WEEEEEEE!!! :D The doctor prescribed something for me called Metformin, which I've heard is suppose to be good for this.

Please spare me the "OMG I'M SO SORRY". I'm sorry too. I guess I'll be moving onto the PCOS board.

butterfly721 May 2nd, 2013 10:57 AM

Re: Update on doctor's visit - not good news

I know that the PCOS board is a great place, but you are always welcome here, too.

BabyBirdies May 2nd, 2013 11:10 AM

I've heard very good things about Metformin in treating PCOS and pre-diabetes. I've also heard good things about the South Beach diet for helping with that.

Good luck with where you're headed next. Several of us straddle both the TTC-MA board and here - no rules saying you can only be at one :)

girlsofsummer May 2nd, 2013 11:26 AM

I love that you are being proactive about this, so I will spare the pity party :) Agree w/ Jess, hope you continue to post here!

momology May 2nd, 2013 12:05 PM

Best of luck to you - hope the Metraformin works well for you. Ditto Jess as well - feel free to post on both boards!!!

ArmyWife28 May 2nd, 2013 12:34 PM

Hope the Metformin will help and good luck on the next board.

epsilonbeta May 2nd, 2013 06:50 PM

((hugs)) I'm right there with you, I'll go look at your PCOS post. It's good you know what is wrong so you can take the right steps to improve your odds and long term health.

Jen@FirsAve May 3rd, 2013 03:02 AM

Im also in the camp of preferring to have a name for a problem as it means there's a good chance of fixing it. As the other ladies have said you're more than welcome to stay here as well as joining the PCOS board

I hope that the metformin works for you :gl:

Nicholle ttc May 3rd, 2013 04:58 AM

:ditto: to the other ladies. Pcos is very treatable, it just takes a bit longer to get pregnant, but many ladies have been able to do so. I don't have pcos, but I've tried I'm definitely part of the ttcma family. If you need to vent, feel free to pm me. :hug:

Sapphera May 3rd, 2013 09:10 AM

Just lurking and wanted to echo the other ladies..

PCOS is definitely treatable, even if you can only treat the symptoms. Metformin is fantastic, though you want to make sure you have the ER version (extended release), since it can really upset the stomach.

I'm considered pre-diabetic and there are a lot of diets that are out there that work for PCOS, I follow the GI diet myself (which also works for diabetics) - and if you lose 10% of your body weight (if you're not a skinny pcoser) you can actually start ovulating on your own. And if not, there are things you can take to help (like clomid).

And don't be discouraged about TTCing with it.. the medical assistance sucks since it makes it all very clinical, but the end result is definitely worth it :D

If you need to talk/vent/whatever, feel free to bug me.. I'm always around!

Nicholle ttc May 3rd, 2013 11:36 AM

We miss you Michelle! :wub:

Sapphera May 3rd, 2013 12:00 PM

Miss you all too Nicholle! :sneak: Though I read almost every post in here still... teehee :)