JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive Your First Child (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/)
-   -   Let's have a debate! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/2647717-lets-have-debate.html)

girlsofsummer May 2nd, 2013 11:48 AM

Let's have a debate!

I found this article today while, well, not doing a **** thing at work.

Diaperless Babies: 'Lunatic' Or 'Positive' Parenting?
Are You Ready For Diaperless Babies? : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

I'd love to have a spirited chat about this.

Typically, my attitude is, if it works for someone, let 'em do it. What's my cup of tea may not be yours, and vice versa.

But...if I'm sitting at a picnic, and a mother puts her baby over a bowl and lets him do his business, that's affecting me. And in that case, it would really gross me out. I just don't think this practice is sanitary.

Just my two cents. What do you think?

momology May 2nd, 2013 12:15 PM

Re: Let's have a debate!

One of my SILs best friends does this. She said it is a TON of work but they really liked it and that it worked really well. When my SIL went and spent the week with them she said it did work but basically consumed their lives. They also did not use a bowl ever but used the toilets wherever they went and just hold the baby over it. That seems more sanitary to me than a bowl. . . I had never heard of this before SIL was telling me all about it and I have to admit I was surprised and intrigued. This is not for me and not something I would consider doing but it is interesting. I completely agree - everyone's parenting style is different and I really try to never judge people.

AshleyO May 2nd, 2013 01:07 PM

Ditto to Elle, definitely not my cup of tea. I am like girls of summer and I don't judge other people but if it starts affecting me then we have an issue. It is highly interesting and when I showed DH the article he was laughing his butt off!

plan4fate May 2nd, 2013 01:32 PM

*comes out of lurking*

It's not my cup of tea... but it's not my place to say anything about what anyone else does. I would hope that they would purchase a potty for this purpose, and use the little potty bowl. In reality, an infant urinating or defecating in a potty bowl is no different at all than a larger child. And is no different than someone changing a diaper near you. Anywhere you'd change a baby, is fair game. While adults would do these things in a bathroom, there just isn't time when doing it with a baby.

I would hope that people would at least remove them selves from the group to do it... but think of all the places you change a diaper. if I'm going to change a diaper on the grass at a park, why can't another kid pee in a bowl?

I am also a big advocate of "what I do is my problem, if you don't like it, that's your problem." things that make me uncomfortable, are not wrong, or gross... but they are MY issue, not the person who is doing it.

I'm just way too lazy to do CE. The fact that we're intending on CD's is just baffling because we hate laundry. But.. we like saving money.

butterfly721 May 2nd, 2013 02:12 PM

I wouldn't want to go diaperless, but if someone else wants to do that, more power to 'em.

Boolajoojoo May 2nd, 2013 05:17 PM

The first time I heard about this I thought it was absurd, but now I'm thinking it's got to be more convenient than dealing with cloth diapers, cheaper than disposable diapers, and gets them potty trained faster. I don't see it working full time though, and I wouldn't try something like this til 3+ months...

Actually I wouldn't try this... it is not for me, but not completely crazy.

left_field May 2nd, 2013 05:31 PM

not for me at all

epsilonbeta May 2nd, 2013 06:26 PM

I may fall into the westerner stereotype, but honestly the idea grosses me out a bit. The idea of uncontrolled poop freaks me out a bit. A person who can successfully manage this the way described is amazing though. I am going to be a working mom, and while my MIL plans on helping with the daycare, this still would just not be possible for us.

Lash May 2nd, 2013 11:00 PM

It's honestly not that hard and doesn't usually go as depicted in the Slate article either, as usual.Those types of hype articles are just there to get more readers.

Most moms I know, like myself, do it rather simply. You know that baby often goes right before or after feeding, simply go to the bathroom when you see the signs. Baby eliminates there instead of a diaper, and you just saved yourself $ or another diaper in the laundry. It's really pretty simple. Even if you do it half the time, that's half the diapers you would have been washing. Almost all the moms I know just do it over a toilet, so there are rarely bowls involved. You might be shocked at how easy it is

epsilonbeta May 3rd, 2013 06:07 AM

I think the bowl part that freaked me out the most. That sounds sounds so unsanitary to be carrying a bowel that's touched poop around. There's no way you could bleach it instantly between uses if you are out and about the way the article described.

SmilingSam May 3rd, 2013 07:17 AM

I think Lash has it right. From what I have read EC is different from how the author described it. I have looked into it and think I would totally be open to trying it. Now I wouldn't carry a bowl around but I would hold my child over a toilet after waking.

Besides, urine doesn't hurt anything. I think it is silly to get upset about kid pee.

Cait&AngelAbove May 3rd, 2013 08:51 PM

It is interesting. It definately isn't something I would do. But I want to CD and a lot think that is strange. So to each her own.

Lash May 3rd, 2013 09:23 PM

It's a fast jump from CD to this! Especially since the diapers are something that are ruined once you take them off like a disposable is. If you think they need to go, you whip off the CD, hold them over the toilet, and if they don't go, no ruined diaper! Just put it right back on and go about your day! If you happen to make it in time, you just bought a few more hours in that clean diaper!

plan4fate May 3rd, 2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilonbeta (Post 27336481)
I think the bowl part that freaked me out the most. That sounds sounds so unsanitary to be carrying a bowel that's touched poop around. There's no way you could bleach it instantly between uses if you are out and about the way the article described.

yeah, I don't hold baby poop to the same level of disgusting that I do adult poop. For a while baby pee doesn't even have a smell (or at least no diaper I've ever changed did). I pee in a little cup, rinse it with what ever temp water I washed my hands and it stays on the counter to dry, when I'm testing. It's not like they're grabbing a cereal bowl..

And you aren't going to take the time to bleach a potty chair between uses either. You're going to go "yay, good job baby!" *dump, rinse, put back in chair*.

Lauren I was chatting with Christen about it last night... and while I don't think it's something I'll set out to do.. I'll happily hold baby over the potty after a feeding.. especially since like you said, you don't ruin a cloth diaper by taking it off. and that's one less to wash. Just don't tell my husband, he thinks I'm crazy enough as it is most days :p. Have they started manufacturing a potty chair toilet adapter for itty bitties to help with mommy arm strain yet?

Lash May 4th, 2013 12:07 PM

No but they do have a little baby Bjorn potties!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

My husband also couldn't totally wrap his head around it until we did it and he thinks it's the best thing ever on the planet especially because it's less diapers

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

girlsofsummer May 6th, 2013 09:59 AM

Very interesting, thanks for the insight, Lash!