JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive Your First Child (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/)
-   -   Time to actually start charting! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/2649747-time-to-actually-start-charting.html)

AnnaBonana May 10th, 2013 10:01 PM

Time to actually start charting!

So, I had a positive OPK Thursday morning, with no BD Wednesday night, but BD Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.

BD again Thursday and Friday.

So, I had the positive opk and assumed I would O Thursday night or Friday. Thursday and Friday I checked for EWCM and both days I was completely dry!

However, Monday and Tuesday was the complete opposite of dry! (TMI but whoa Nellie!).

So when the heck did I O? Is it possible to get a positive OPK but yet not O after you get your positive?

Just one more sign pointing to me needing to start charting.

According to my O date (Lord knows when that was!) I can test as soon as 13 days from now. Who thinks I can hold it 14?

And where can you buy a basal thermometer?

girlsofsummer May 10th, 2013 10:42 PM

Re: Time to actually start charting!

I just started charting, actually temping 3 days ago! we can be charting buddies :)

As for the O date, I'm not quite sure. its a really good question though: what should you put more weight on, +OPK or EWCM?

You can make it 13 days!! I believe in youuuu!

SmilingSam May 11th, 2013 06:38 AM

Ovulation can take up to 36 hours after a positive OPK. At any rate it sounds like you have your bases covered. :)

ImALittleTeaPot May 11th, 2013 06:56 AM

Here's my two-cents... take it or leave it. :)

Basal Thermometer -- can be bought pretty much anywhere and it'll say on the packaging "basal thermometer." Some people DO use regular thermometers. The only difference is that a basal thermometer reads temps to the nearest 1/100 of a degree. Standard thermometers read to the nearest 1/10. Some will say the accuracy of the basal is necessary to get a good reading, others say you'll get a good enough idea of your pattern by just seeing the reading of a standard thermometer. So really... it's up to you and what you want to do.

I've been charting (temp, CM, & OPK's) for two cycles -- on my third right now. So in the whole scheme of things, I'm pretty inexperienced. But my first cycle, I had a pretty near perfect O -- temp increase 3 days after, positive OPK a day before, very fertile CM. I thought I had it MADE. Last cycle, though... my O was anything but normal... shoot, I'm still not even sure I DID O. What I'm trying to get at is that it's HARD at first, and it obviously takes time and lots of charting to see a clear pattern and get accustomed to listening to your body and it's signals. So try not to get too frustrated if you still don't get clear answers... and PM me anytime because I was so stressed about it that I'm pretty sure it's what caused me to be 5 days late!!!

Now, as far as what to put more weight on: +OPK or EWCM... I don't get a lot of EWCM, so I put more weight on +OPK's. I think you kind of have to look at everything as a full picture... if things don't match up, I'd look at CM since it's coming from YOU... there's no chance of false positives, faulty batches, ya know??

Anyway... just my thoughts. I'm sure other lovely ladies will give their input and maybe be more helpful! :)

Jen@FirsAve May 11th, 2013 12:20 PM

Your body can gear up to O and you'll get a positive OPK but not actually O. Your CM can be a fairly reliable indicator...are you just getting creamy CM now? If so, when did it start? If you had it from wednesday I'd say you probably O'd earlier in the week but then the positive OPK on thursday throws a spanner in the works!

Also, have you checked your CP (cervix position)? If you've Od it should be low, firm and closed. It should be pretty easy to reach - if you havent O'd it can be much harder to reach

butterfly721 May 11th, 2013 02:21 PM

I got my basal body thermometer at Rite Aid. There was a buy one, get one free deal for about $10. So I ended up getting two of them. I've been happy with it. I don't use mine that often, though, because I've just been doing OPKs this cycle.

AnnaBonana May 11th, 2013 09:37 PM

Thanks so much for the info, ladies! I haven't really been checking CP because we have been BD every day except one... As for CM, I didn't really check check it... But when we were DTD, it was crazy slippery. Yesterday (O day according to OPK) it was so, so dry.

I feel silly because when I ordered my OPKs online there was a coupon code for a free basal thermometer and I was like, nah, I'm gonna get pg my first cycle! I won't need that!

Famous last words! Thanks for always being so darn helpful, ladies!