JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive Your First Child (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/)
-   -   OT - Brand new baby lamb pics :) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/2658192-ot-brand-new-baby-lamb-pics.html)

jessicake June 12th, 2013 05:12 PM

OT - Brand new baby lamb pics :)

It was a very exciting day here! We had our very first baby lambs born this afternoon! Twins! Mama did awesome and she's bonded right up :) Both babies are up, healthy and eating like crazy! I missed the birth by like 30 seconds lol Here's a couple pics...they are just minutes old in them <3

Photo by jesswalker83 &bull; Instagram

Ariw June 12th, 2013 05:51 PM

Re: OT - Brand new baby lamb pics :)

OH MY GOODNESS! they are SOOOOO adorable!
I want a baby lamb! so cute
Clearly I am obsessed with baby animals!

Boolajoojoo June 12th, 2013 06:34 PM

AAAaaawwwwwwww!!!!!! *want*

SmilingSam June 12th, 2013 07:00 PM

:wub: :hearts: LAMBIES!

momology June 13th, 2013 06:25 AM

they are so teeny!!!!! Such cute little lambs :wub:

girlsofsummer June 13th, 2013 08:17 AM

How cute is that?!

Congratulations, that's awesome!

jessicake June 13th, 2013 08:21 AM

Thanks ladies!! They are soooo wonderful! I think I may get more today, have a couple ewes looking pretty uncomfortable :D

Jen@FirsAve June 13th, 2013 09:56 AM

Wow! Congrats...they're soooo cute! I wana give them a cuddle lol!

FXd you get some more today...we definately need more pictures when they do come!

AshleyO June 13th, 2013 10:45 AM

cuteness!!

jessicake June 13th, 2013 11:34 AM

Well as I guessed, had a single ram born :D He's HUGE!!! Both he and mama are doing awesome!

All cleaned up.

Cait&AngelAbove June 13th, 2013 12:06 PM

Sooooo cute!!!

remisue16 June 14th, 2013 07:36 AM

Soooo cute!!!

plan4fate June 15th, 2013 11:13 PM

Super cute!

Do you know ahead of time that they're having multiples or is it a wait and see thing?

AnnaBonana June 16th, 2013 05:53 AM

I second Ashley's question!

Multiples in dairy cows are generally a bad thing. The heifers are often infertile (What the Heck? I've no idea why) and it is usually really hard on the mother. We ultrasound all our cows for dating purposes. If we see multiples, we do let nature take its course. There are some barns who have show cows who will abort to prevent the mothers' getting ill after the birth.

Do you ultrasound your sheep?

ImALittleTeaPot June 16th, 2013 09:24 AM

OMGeeee!!!! They are so stinkin' precious! Tiny, cuddly, adorable! Keep sharing pictures!!! :)

jessicake June 18th, 2013 05:35 AM

Multiples are the "norm" for sheep :) Their first year lambing many will have singles, but after that twins are normal/expected, sometimes you get triplets and even quads, and most farmers actually cull (sell) ewes who consistently have singles. My sheep are all only yearlings so that's why I'm getting singles this year. Next year I shouldn't have any.

No, we don't ultrasound them. It's a wait and see game. We, and most other sheep farms, keep records of lambing percentages (and ease of lambing, mothering instinct, etc..) on each ewe and work at creating good production/mothering bloodlines. My sheep are half Friesen (a milking breed lol) so they can produce more milk to support triplets when they do occur, so I hopefully don't have to bottle feed :)

I know with beef cattle (my family raises those) it's the same as with dairy, twins are not a good thing. Same with horses, in fact I know with big money performance horses they'll often "pinch" (abort) one of the twins if they find them via ultrasound. Sheep and goats are a whole other ball game though lol (for the record, I will never own a goat again!! LOL!)

Here's my latest lil ewe lamb born. She'll be a gorgeous addition to my flock! A single, and yeah since her mama is a first time mama that's normal but next year she will have twins or triplets.
http://instagram.com/p/apQhlFrhyT/

jessicake June 18th, 2013 05:56 AM

Also, sorry for my absence the last few days!! Lambing time is so busy, my chores like triple lol I bring the mamas and babies in the barn at night and the rest of flock waiting to lamb into the front corral by the barn and make sure the dog is in there with them. Lambs are so tiny when they are new, and we have lots of predators here :/ So I am very protective with them at first lol