JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive Your First Child (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/)
-   -   Flu shot while TTC? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f131-trying-to-conceive-your-first-child/2687772-flu-shot-while-ttc.html)

momology October 23rd, 2013 11:27 AM

Flu shot while TTC?

Do you ladies get the flu shot while TTC? They are having them at work today but I really didnt want it to throw off O so I went ahead and skipped it until I can ask my doc what she thinks but until then I thought I would see what you ladies thought :)

blaundee October 23rd, 2013 12:33 PM

Re: Flu shot while TTC?

I wouldn't for 3 reasons- 1) It is not routine to give most vaccines to livestock that are pregnant/about to become pregnant because it can cause them to either not conceive or to abort. The only vaccine you give routinely to pregnant livestock are ones to prevent abortion. (We are not livestock, but we are mammals, and livestock is my area of knowledge.) Reason 2) I believe that vaccines are at the root of the peanut allergy epidemic. Reason 3) A healthy adult has very little to fear from the flu.

Mbwebb11212 October 23rd, 2013 12:37 PM

Personally (and I hope I don't end up eating my words) I don't think it's worth it. Last winter there were so many people who still ended up with the flu despite having a flu shot because it was a different strain of the flu.

I honestly don't know how or if it effects women who are trying to conceive.

plan4fate October 23rd, 2013 01:02 PM

I don't get the flu shot despite the fact that I am in the target group who NEEDS the protection (low immune/asthmatic/autoimmune disease).

1- Every year I have gotten the flu shot except one I have gotten the strain of flu that I was vaccinated for. I did not get the flu until 8-12 weeks after the shot.

2- Every year I've gotten the flu I have ended up sick right after the shot with flu like symptoms.. why feel like crap twice? 105-106 fevers are nothing to joke about.. and I get them EVERY TIME I get it.

3- I've NEVER had the flu on a year I didn't get the shot.

momology October 23rd, 2013 01:22 PM

Thanks for your input ladies!! I dont usually get them and now I am even less motivated after you all made it sound so glamorous :giggle: I got it once in the past that I remember and it did make me pretty sick. . .

girlsofsummer October 23rd, 2013 01:29 PM

Lurking still (because I can't leave you girls!!!) and had to jump in on this one.

I spoke to my doctor about this because I was TTC right when the new flu shot came out.

My doctor said there is no problem with women who are TTC or who ARE pregnant getting the flu shot.

Blaundee please don't take offense but #1 and #3 in your post are not factually correct. #1 It is recommended that women who are pregnant DO get the flu vaccine because getting the flu when you are pregnant is dangerous for both you and baby. It can lead to a host of other illnesses and problem. It's the same argument with taking antibiotics while you are pregnant and have an infection. Women do routinely get vaccines during pregnancy for a variety of reasons. Vaccines that are safe to take during pregnancy do NOT CAUSE abortions!!

#3 "Healthy" people get the flu all the time. "Healthy" is a misnomer and highly subjective.

Of course it's everyone's prerogative whether they get the flu shot or not. Or any vaccine for that matter. And like Ashley said, it doesn't protect against every strain. It can't possibly. And it doesn't cause you to get the flu, but some people have an immunoresponse that causes you to feel crappy (b/c of the antibodies).

A very good chart from March of Dimes so that everyone can be empowered to make their own decisions: Vaccinations during pregnancy | March of Dimes

momology October 23rd, 2013 01:51 PM

Thanks Em!! That is a great link :)

My doc office just called me back - they are suggesting I not get the shot right around O time. The nurse did say they do suggest the flu shot for me in general but that I should wait for now and to call back about it if AF shows. So that is my plan for now.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts :heart:

blaundee October 24th, 2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlsofsummer (Post 27754959)
Blaundee please don't take offense but #1 and #3 in your post are not factually correct. #1 It is recommended that women who are pregnant DO get the flu vaccine because getting the flu when you are pregnant is dangerous for both you and baby. It can lead to a host of other illnesses and problem. It's the same argument with taking antibiotics while you are pregnant and have an infection. Women do routinely get vaccines during pregnancy for a variety of reasons. Vaccines that are safe to take during pregnancy do NOT CAUSE abortions!!

#3 "Healthy" people get the flu all the time. "Healthy" is a misnomer and highly subjective.

[/url]

No offense taken, but YES, reason #1 is indeed CORRECT. I raise many types of LIVESTOCK and know this to be 100% true in livestock, as I stated. Also, #3 is ALSO TRUE. I did not say healthy adults don't GET the flu, I said they usually have nothing to FEAR, as in dying from it, like elderly & ill adults do. (I cannot put a smiley face on here, or I would- I am not trying to come across as cranky lol) As for a doctor saying vaccines are fine... each woman is free to choose to believe doctors if they want to. I've known way too many doctors who won't use vaccines on themselves or their families, but will on patients, and will tell them it's all just fine. I've also known some of those same doctors to tell patients that they have had the vaccine, because they were ordered by the clinic to say such! (I'm a former CNA and have NO faith in most medical professionals!)

plan4fate October 24th, 2013 09:12 AM

Technically vaccine safety during pregnancy is not proven it is assumed. But since there is no real tracking of vaccine related illness or injury, it's very hard to get actual unbiased facts related to them.

So many doctors, who have amazing credentials, are not big believers in vaccinations because of the cloud of secrecy surrounding them.

I'll come out and say it, I don't know if we are vaxing or not. If we do, it will be delayed and selective. The very fact that apnea is a risk in many shots is scary!

Here's a warning from last years Flu Shot:

Quote:

[B]8.1 Pregnancy
Pregnancy Category C:
Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with FLUVIRINŽ. It is also not known whether FLUVIRINŽ can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity. FLUVIRINŽ should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.
8.3 Nursing Mothers
It is not known whether FLUVIRINŽ is excreted in human milk. Because many drugs are excreted in human milk,
(this is listed in all the inserts I've checked)
Quote:

13.1 Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of Fertility
FLUVIRINŽ has not been evaluated for carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or for impairment of fertility.
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../ucm123694.pdf

here's the warnings from the TDaP shot'

Quote:

8.1 Pregnancy
Pregnancy Category C
Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with INFANRIX. It is also not known whether INFANRIX can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity.
http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_infanrix.pdf

So, they haven't studied pregnant woman in either, they have no idea what the actual outcomes are, or could be.. but hey... let's go and do it anyway! :rolleyes:

JennyLee October 24th, 2013 03:57 PM

"As with other vaccines, the FDA product labeling for the use of influenza vaccine in pregnancy is on the basis of precaution, and is not based on evidence."
FYI, the progesterone I inject every day (without which I would surely lose my pregnancy), has the same sort of warning.

Summary from the CDC -
CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Seasonal Flu Vaccine Safety and Pregnant Women "Pregnant women have a higher risk for serious complications from influenza than non-pregnant women of reproductive age. Influenza vaccine will protect pregnant women, their unborn babies, and protect the baby after birth."

Some peer-reviewed scientific studies (aka real science)

Adverse events in pregnant women followi... [Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI "No unusual patterns of pregnancy complications or fetal outcomes were observed in the VAERS reports of pregnant women after the administration of TIV or LAIV"

Trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine and s... [Obstet Gynecol. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI "There was no statistically significant increase in the risk of pregnancy loss in the 4 weeks after seasonal inactivated influenza vaccination."

If anyone has a doctor who doesn't believe in vaccinations, I strongly suggest you find a new doctor.

plan4fate October 24th, 2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyLee (Post 27757562)
"As with other vaccines, the FDA product labeling for the use of influenza vaccine in pregnancy is on the basis of precaution, and is not based on evidence."
FYI, the progesterone I inject every day (without which I would surely lose my pregnancy), has the same sort of warning.

Summary from the CDC -
CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Seasonal Flu Vaccine Safety and Pregnant Women "Pregnant women have a higher risk for serious complications from influenza than non-pregnant women of reproductive age. Influenza vaccine will protect pregnant women, their unborn babies, and protect the baby after birth."

Some peer-reviewed scientific studies (aka real science)

Adverse events in pregnant women followi... [Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI "No unusual patterns of pregnancy complications or fetal outcomes were observed in the VAERS reports of pregnant women after the administration of TIV or LAIV"

Trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine and s... [Obstet Gynecol. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI "There was no statistically significant increase in the risk of pregnancy loss in the 4 weeks after seasonal inactivated influenza vaccination."

If anyone has a doctor who doesn't believe in vaccinations, I strongly suggest you find a new doctor.

One of the top bone marrow doctors in the US doesn't believe in Vaccinations.

JennyLee October 24th, 2013 05:09 PM

I would not trust any doctor who didn't believe in one of the greatest medical achievements of modern civilization. Such an attitude would demonstrate a complete disregard for science, which is not something I look for in a doctor. Sorry, but I love science;)