JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying To Conceive Your First Graduates (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f452-trying-to-conceive-your-first-graduates/)
-   -   Breast Pump HELP PLEASE!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f452-trying-to-conceive-your-first-graduates/2324401-breast-pump-help-please.html)

LoLo'sMama May 10th, 2011 07:55 PM

Breast Pump HELP PLEASE!!

My pump isn't working! It was handed down (Medela double electric) so it's probably about 4 years old. It just isn't as efficient as it once was. I thought it was my milk supply but I am pretty sure it's the sucking power of the pump. Adjusting vacuum and speed doesn't help.

We just don't have the money to drop 350 on another one. Any suggestions on brands/types that work well? I would consider myself an average producer (when my pump was working well) I could get 3-4 ounces per breast every 3-4 hours. But, it seems as the manual ones would not be efficient at getting this much.

I don't want this to hinder my BFing efforts. But, since I am going back to work now (only a few hours a week) and we do a bottle every day so she takes one well. I need a working pump period. Any good and affordable pumps out there?

Celry May 11th, 2011 04:32 AM

Re: Breast Pump HELP PLEASE!!

If you aren't grossed out by it, you could look for a pump on craigslist. I only have a Medela and loved it. You could also try taking yours apart a little and see if there is something wrong with the knobs on it.

pthree May 11th, 2011 06:10 AM

I got mine used from a friend and just bought my own suction cups and tubing brand new. You can probably try to find one the same as yours used and just use your current tubing and other parts.

jensma May 11th, 2011 11:26 AM

I bought a single pump (the medela swing) for $110 from Target. I don't pump much but it does what its supposed to. Also have you checked the little white things on the pump (valve somethings...lol i'm not helpful). I know Marci and Casey both said a while back that after they changed theirs it worked MUCH better?

JustLiz May 11th, 2011 11:30 AM

ditto the above. you can buy all the parts separately, so I would try replacing the little white valve thingies first, before you worry about buying a whole new one.

LuvsPecanPie May 13th, 2011 01:12 PM

Just FYI - you can use the BRU 20% coupons on pumps. It made purchasing the freestyle not to terrible.

karenwalter May 14th, 2011 01:49 PM

I used the Lansinoh double electric pump and it worked great. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Medela but is recommended by the La Leche League and some other breastfeeding groups saying it does as good of a job. You could look into it.

This is the newer model of the one I used:
Amazon.com: Lansinoh Affinity Double Electric Breast Pump: Health & Personal Care

ca_dawson May 14th, 2011 07:02 PM

I used the Ameda Purely Yours breast pump for well over a year and it still works great! It's a bit cheaper. Also definitely check craigslist. I found one brand new for $75 on craigstlist.

LoLo'sMama May 14th, 2011 07:47 PM

I changed out the valve (cup suction thingy) even though I didn't think it was the problem. Well. IT WAS! We are back in business! Yay for not having to replace it, at least for now. I still have 7 months left to pump if all goes like I planned!

Thanks for the help and suggestions for other brands!