JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/)
-   -   Doing insemination with a syringe (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/2629221-doing-insemination-syringe.html)

Melissadd February 25th, 2013 12:34 PM

Doing insemination with a syringe

Ok this has been weighing on my mind for quite some time, but I can not keep it to myself any longer. My df is not circumcised so last cycle when we were bd ing he got a very small tear in the foreskin and now when he is fully erect and we are doing the bd it is hurting him a bit, so for us to have intercourse everyday is nearly impossible for him because it gets really sore. So I have been surfing the web regarding at home insemination so today he did his thing in a cup and we used a syringe without the needle to put the swimmers where they needed to go, I will be honest I really have No clue if this will work or not, I just do not want to miss my eggie and want every chance I have to catch it so what our plan is, is to BD every other day and use the syringe method in between. Has anyone ever had any success getting pregnant using a syringe?Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. I know I read that after he ejaculates that we should let the sperm sit for 30 mins or so and then other sites say to use it right away,I am just curious to what your thoughts on this subject is.Thanks :smile:

GollyMolly February 25th, 2013 12:38 PM

Re: Doing insemination with a syringe

I've looked in to this as well for other reasons. I wouldn't let them sit in the cup. My plan was going to have DH do his thing in to an instead cup and squirt some preseed in and then insert the instead cup.

muffin February 25th, 2013 12:39 PM

Bad idea with the syringe, sorry! You could accidently push the semen past your cervix, which can cause all kinds of nastiness. (The semen is a vehicle for the sperm to get to your CM, and then swim up towards the egg.) It can cause infections if put directly into your cervix.

You can however have him do his thing into a softcup or divacup and place it up to your cervix. (Called ICI - Intra-cervical Insemination) It gives you the same chances as the old fashioned way :smile:. Make sure to do it soon after he finishes though, since it liquefies pretty quickly and might make it messy to insert.

Melissadd February 25th, 2013 12:43 PM

I must clarify we only used a syringe no needle so it was not put directly in my cervix just as close as possible to my cervix, I did look yesterday for softcups and could not find any I looked at Walmart and Shoppers and they did not carry any.

GollyMolly February 25th, 2013 12:44 PM

If you go with the syringe just insert it into the opening of your vagina and squirt it in and you shouldn't have too much to worry about getting semen past the cervix and causing an infection.

I ordered mine through amazon. I thought I saw them at walgreens before.

muffin February 25th, 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissadd (Post 27133711)
I must clarify we only used a syringe no needle so it was not put directly in my cervix just as close as possible to my cervix, I did look yesterday for softcups and could not find any I looked at Walmart and Shoppers and they did not carry any.

I figured that :smile:. It's the actual pushing of the semen into the cervical area that causes issues though. (Since your cervix is more open during O, but the CM within the cervix usually prevents the semen itself from getting through, just the swimmers.)

ETA: I've found softcups at Shoppers before (but I don't think they have them at all of them?). They're in the feminine products aisle. (I know some women have gone searching through the family planning section. Myself included many moons ago!)

Melissadd February 25th, 2013 12:49 PM

So what you guys are saying is to only put the syringe in the opening of the vagina and deposit the goods, not put the syringe all the way in.

muffin February 25th, 2013 12:52 PM

I'd go with the cup. Less room for error and it puts it right where it would normally be deposited. If you put the semen at the entrance, then it doesn't reach the CM and will leak out pretty quickly.

GollyMolly February 25th, 2013 12:56 PM

Yeah, I would do it laying down with my hips propped up on a pillow and slowly deposit the goods letting gravity do the work rather than forcing the stuff and risking an infection etc. That is until you can get some instead cups. Because they really are great at keeping his swimmersclose to your cervix. Usually I leak so bad after bd but I used one of those puppies and left it in for an hour or two while I ran to the store. No leakage while it was in and very little came out when I took it out.

Melissadd February 25th, 2013 01:01 PM

I did read about using the cups but I am not at all comfortable with the idea, I am scared that I will not get it in the right way and that if I do get it in that I will not be able to get it out afterwards. Scared of the unknown I guess.

Melissadd February 25th, 2013 04:33 PM

For those of you who have used the softcups are they easy to insert and remove?

SmilingSam February 25th, 2013 05:31 PM

Dropping in from TTC #1...

I tried the Instead cups for during AF. I couldn't get them in correctly. Or if I did get it right the one time, it almost seemed to "pop out" later. But it was easy to get in and easy to get out.

Try checking on youtube. There are some really good demonstration videos that have a woman explaining all about the cups and showing you a tube to explain how to insert/position/remove.

They don't hurt. And it's really not that scarey. I promise!

blakesgirl09 February 25th, 2013 06:40 PM

I used them this cycle to keep DH men close by:) I had the Neva ring before and the softcup goes in the exact same spot. It is not at all uncomfortable if you place it correctly and they come with fairly detailed instructions. I did t really have a problem getting them out either but I read that if you push like you are having a BM, the cup moves up a bit and you can hook your finger around the ring and pull it out. They are safe to leave in for up to 12 hours and it eliminates most of the "mess"!

GollyMolly February 25th, 2013 06:47 PM

I've only used the instead cups once after bd and it was easy to insert and remove. Not painful but after a few hours in it was a little uncomfortable like pressure down there but not unbearable. I'm going to continue using them the rest of this cycle so I'll let you know how it goes.

eilla05 February 25th, 2013 08:42 PM

wait! Why didn't I know about this before today....can you use any menstrual cup to do this? I have a Meluna..Has anyone actually had success with this method?I shall go google now.

waiting2bemommy February 25th, 2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissadd (Post 27134687)
For those of you who have used the softcups are they easy to insert and remove?

I bought some softcups ages ago just for using during AF like they are for and I COULD NOT insert them correctly or at all really. :sneak: It was a complete fail and I ended up throwing them away eventually and never getting to use them. I did get them at walmart though, so not sure why your walmart wouldn't have any.

Melissadd February 26th, 2013 04:39 AM

[QUOTE=waiting2bemommy;27135603]I bought some softcups ages ago just for using during AF like they are for and I COULD NOT insert them correctly or at all really. :sneak: It was a complete fail and I ended up throwing them away eventually and never getting to use them. I did get them at walmart though, so not sure why your walmart wouldn't have any.[/QUOI

I live in Canada so that is probably why I can not find any softcups at Walmart, I know you guys can also buy cheap opk at Walmart and I can not get those here either..:(

LaughALittle February 26th, 2013 05:57 AM

It's funny you post this because DH just brought this up 2 weeks ago. I thought he was crazy but I kept thinking about it. When I was googling, I came across sperm donor websites or clinics websites. They had a FAQ and instructions for insemination. Basically once you had your vial, wait 30 mins, use syringe (like a preseed syringe) prop hips inseminate, stay lying down for 30 mins and use a menstrual cup to help keep it in (although not necessary). Gotta figure they know it best since they're in the business lol. Really though its nothing more then what these ladies have already posted lol.....see we are Pro's lol

See DH has ED issues so we were thinking up other ways to increase our chances. Geez if he would just go to the Dr we wouldn't have to get so scientific lol I guess it keeps TTC interesting I will give it that much :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Julesbabz32 February 26th, 2013 06:06 AM

I've thought about using that lately. My DH is also not circumsized, last spring he popped the little vein that holds the sheath to the penis (popped his banjo string) is what he called it. I have a vaginal fissure, which is making BD'ing painful for me, and scary for him lol. I've considered trying to syringe his swimmers into me, but figured I was just going baby crazy lol.

Leah W February 26th, 2013 06:22 AM

I always use Instead cups for AF, and they work great for me. It was a little confusing to put it in right the first time, but after that it was super easy, and getting them out is no problem at all. Never tried them for TTC, though.