JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/)
-   -   Provera vs Prometrium? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/2635388-provera-vs-prometrium.html)

catielove March 16th, 2013 09:59 PM

Provera vs Prometrium?

Hey ladies, question for those of you who have used a progesterone supplement to aid implantation and embryo sustainability. Are provera and prometrium interchangeable for these purposes? I've used prometrium for AF induction before, and I've heard that that's all you can use provera for.

I'm wondering because my insurance doesn't cover either of these and provera is 1/3 the price of prometrium. Trying to save a little money if I can.

Thanks ladies!

MommaLove13 March 17th, 2013 05:39 AM

Re: Provera vs Prometrium?

I'm pretty sure you cant. I was on prometrium with both previous pregnancies and I have a script in my kitchen for when I get my next bfp. Provera is used to start a period but prometrium is used to supplement a progesterone deficiency and to help support the pregnancy. I've never heard of prometrium to start AF only provera. I would call Dr first and ask him/her, but both are script only so your dr would have to have a dr prescribe one or the other.

cutenurse24 March 17th, 2013 02:30 PM

:iagree:

catielove March 18th, 2013 04:14 PM

I order them from an online pharmacy, no RX needed. (Saves me like $500 in RE costs. lol) But thanks for the info! My RE prescribed prometrium to me for starting AF, but I've heard that's not common.

MommaLove13 March 18th, 2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catielove (Post 27206990)
I order them from an online pharmacy, no RX needed. (Saves me like $500 in RE costs. lol) But thanks for the info! My RE prescribed prometrium to me for starting AF, but I've heard that's not common.

How do you get prescription meds with out a prescription??

catielove March 19th, 2013 07:27 PM

Order from China or Mexico. It's the same medication (generics usually) but because they're out of the country you don't need a prescription. They don't sell any narcotics or anything. Prescription drugs are all manufactured out of the country, for the most part, you're just cutting out the middle men. (Also makes them a LOT cheaper on average if you don't have insurance.)

SmilingSam March 19th, 2013 07:51 PM

Interesting. I went to doc today bc I'm not having regular periods. She prescribed me the prometrium but the pharmacy gave me the generic (provera) instead. Maybe you could ask a pharmacist if they are equivalent.