JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/)
-   -   Sad :( (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/2647467-sad.html)

jeweluv May 1st, 2013 12:39 PM

Sad :(

SaD and confused. Just got off phone with a midwife. I had my progesterone levels draw yesterday at cd21,7dpo and they were a 14.5. She said that she likes them above a 15 but anything over 10 is usually accepted as normal. She said if they were like a 20 she would suspect pregnancy but not really 14.5 although I still could be. I have a history of low progesterone. I had my levels taken by my Ob, on cd21 with my second pregnancy (now seeing someone different) and she called back and just said levels were normal. Later she went on to tell me she though I was pregnant but I never found out why. I assume it had to do with my levels.

This midwife didn't seem to happy with 14.5. With my first dd at 5 weeks it was 3.5 and was a miracle she made t! With my second dd at 5 weeks it was a 12 and Ob was fine with it and then it dropped to a 9. Here I am now 7dpo with a 14.5 which I think has been my highest ever (though again not sure what my levels were with dd2 on cd21) and my hopes are down.

Someone make sense of this. Is this indicative of a non-preg cycle? :(

Also I read that progesterone levels cAn drop after u eat so it should be done in am BeFore. Is this true! Dh did my blood and he is not an Ob and I had just eaten.

rachoochoo2 May 1st, 2013 12:54 PM

Re: Sad :(

In my last pregnancy my progesterone was only 13.2 at my first draw. I would say if you have a history of low progesterone it would be hard to say based off of just one draw like that and don't count yourself out just because of that.

jeweluv May 1st, 2013 01:18 PM

Thanks....I'm confused bc as per my husband's lab ranges it says during the lutel phase the normal is between like 2 and 21. So he said I was right in the middle. For a pregnant woman, he said the lab gave him a range of 4-44 (or something to that extent)

jeweluv May 1st, 2013 01:35 PM

okay dh brought me the results.
Progesterone: 14.5 ng/mL

Reference Range
Follicular phase <1
Luteal Phase 2.6-21.5

Pregnant
1st tri: 4.1-34
2nd : 24.0-76.0
3rd : 52.0-302

Is it possible that each lab does things differently, like it says here

"This following are normal ranges based upon certain phases of the menstrual cycle and pregnancy:
•Female (pre-ovulation): less than 1 ng/mL
•Female (mid-cycle): 5 to 20 ng/mL
•Male: less than 1 ng/mL
•Postmenopausal: less than 1 ng/mL
•Pregnancy 1st trimester: 11.2-90.0 ng/mL
•Pregnancy 2nd trimester: 25.6-89.4 ng/mL
•Pregnancy 3rd trimester: 48.4-42.5 ng/mL

Note: ng/mL = nanograms per milliliter

Note: Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.

The examples above show the common measurements for results for these tests. Some laboratories use different measurements or may test different specimens."

bella88 May 1st, 2013 02:23 PM

You will do your head in trying to analyse pregnancy from a progesterone draw :) not that it's that easy not to when it comes to things like that! But honestly it sounds like it is in the normal range. Typically the nurse would like to see above 15 but she also said above 10 is good so you are all sweet for that :). She would probably like the higher number because you are taking the progesterone but it sounds better than you would normally get. If you have low progesterone then 14.5 sounds good for you and it is still definitely possible that you are pregnant. It also sounds like the numbers in pregnancy can be similar to normal cycle numbers so yeah. You will make yourself sick over trying to work it all out like that though so as tough as it is it's probably best to wait it out a few days and take a test. Good luck this cycle!

cutenurse24 May 3rd, 2013 07:29 PM

I would say that your progesterone level sounds great. I wouldn't focus on that so much. My last medicated cycle, my progesterone level was over 33. I never ended up being preggo even though the NP was sure that I was for sure.

Lucy S. May 3rd, 2013 08:19 PM

A higher progesterone *can* imply pregnancy but it's certainly not a sure thing!

Most REs want to see over 10 for nonmedicated and over 15 for a medicated cycle.

Don't count yourself out :)

eta: not sure what level they want when you are on progesterone suppl.

swtneka May 3rd, 2013 08:44 PM

:ditto: what Lucy said