JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/)
-   -   Getting to know my body wayyyyyyyyyyy better (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/2647570-getting-to-know-my-body-wayyyyyyyyyyy-better.html)

epsilonbeta May 1st, 2013 08:41 PM

Getting to know my body wayyyyyyyyyyy better

So I come from one of those families where you just don't talk about it. :tmi: I had such heavy periods when I was a teen that I needed tampons and my mom was super uncomfortable about that and just told me to read the directions she couldn't explain. Never had the talk either. Yeah, seriously.

Not saying that a mom should explain the details of CM & CP and all that jazz, but I grew up where we didn't even say the word Vagina.:lalala:

This whole TTC experience is teaching me so much more about my body and it feels great. It has been easiest to figure out the CM thing but CP was throwing me for a loop. Well, I finally figured it out. I am so happy to be making sense of this stuff.

With all the medical junk I have facing me, it feels like a little piece of control to at least be able to accurately read my body. I may not be able to control it, but at least I can accurately understand it going forward.

2014 Offshoremama78 May 1st, 2013 11:40 PM

Re: Getting to know my body wayyyyyyyyyyy better

:thumbsup:
The thought process was about the same for me growing up..
Lets put it this way, my mom used the today sponge, I was about 12-13
and saw them and asked what they were, she turned red, clamed up
and coughed out that they were her expensive face cleaners..
HAHA Can you see where I am going with this.... Well, one day I snuck into her
bathroom and decided to see what this face scrub was all about... I was a scrubbing
away at my face and in walks mommy, I still can remember her face.. She gave me a
talking too, about how that was her face cleanser and it wasnt for kids.. YEARS later I
saw them when I was buying some girly stuff, LOL and to think I rubbed that stuff
all over my face and she never said one word!!!!!
Sorry about the novel, but I thought you might get a chuckle..
Cant wait to stalk your progress!!!

MercysMummy May 1st, 2013 11:58 PM

That seriously made me LOL Tigg! I'm not usually one to laugh at other peoples misfortunes but that is pretty funny ;)

babygirlbaby May 2nd, 2013 05:51 AM

I grew up the same way. I had to have girls at church summer camp help me learn how to use a tampon. I also had no sex talk. It amazing how the women's body works, IMO.

epsilonbeta May 2nd, 2013 06:06 AM

LOL! That's great tigg!

I honestly hope I can be more comfortable talking about this stuff if I have a daughter without completely traumatizing her ;)

inyourhonor May 2nd, 2013 06:39 AM

It wasn't until I had my first child that I realized I knew very little about my body and the random crap they taught me in health class! My mom also never really discussed it and I was too embarrassed to bring anything up to her. So It kinda just went to the wayside haha.

Now I'm glad I decided charting and temping, I've been reading more and more and getting a much better grasp on things. I feel silly now still but if I ever have a daughter, I'll be able to help her :) I think my mom may have not known a lot either. Which is okay.

hopelessly wishing May 2nd, 2013 11:02 PM

i am 28 yrs old and i just this year found out about cm and why we have our periods. lol. you are not alone. i have learned more about my body this year alone that ive known my entire life. lol

bellepivoine May 3rd, 2013 10:31 AM

Same for me! When I got my period, I told my mom and she says, "I guess we'll have to get you pads then...." and that was it!! It wasn't until I was a junior in high school that I my CHOIR TEACHER taught me how to use a tampon. I was at her house with the rest of my choir and I really wanted to go in her hot tub but had my period. She gave me one of hers (a super...which, ew and ow, for your first time and knowing your teacher's flow) and was yelling directives at me through the door. I remember being SO dry (tmi) and having the hardest time that she finally says, "open up that cupboard - you'll find some "motion lotion"" (and she said it all in a groovy sing songy voice) I was just in the bathroom like OMG!!! ***!!! EW!!! But it worked and I went in the hot tub, lol :) my friends and I still laugh about this moment. LORDY!

epsilonbeta May 3rd, 2013 09:20 PM

OMG that would have been traumatizing to me Belle! Nice to see a lot of us come from the don't ask don't tell background and can relate.

Hope2Be13 May 4th, 2013 05:25 AM

These stories are making me laugh! My mom was kind of different... She wanted to talk to me about that stuff but I was so embarrassed and stand offish about it around her. She even took me to a class about it and I was humiliated! Lol so needless to say I found out most of what I learned from my friends. I do have to give my mom credit for trying though! I hope my daughter is more open to me...(if I ever have one!!)

jeweluv May 4th, 2013 05:58 AM

VAGINA, VAGINA, VAGINA!! lol...liberating right? hahaha!

My 6th grade teacher, no joke, had us in chorus, all repeat "Vagina, Penis" so we would be comfortable with it. LOL.didn't work. We all just thought she was whacked! LOL..

YOU GO GIRL.....good for you!!! No shame!

cutenurse24 May 4th, 2013 09:46 AM

I have to echo what a lot of you have said. I never had a sex talk with my parents and definitely never talked about female anatomy. So this whole 18 nearly 19 mos of TTC have taught me so much about myself and my body. It really is incredible how the female body is designed and works.