JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/)
-   -   Doctor's Appt Update (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/2658484-doctors-appt-update.html)

bella88 June 14th, 2013 01:59 AM

Doctor's Appt Update

So I went to the doctor and it wasn't as helpful as I thought it might be but it looks like after I get some testing done then she will refer to a gynaecologist at the nearest hospital to me which is about half way between work and home. She didn't seem to know much and was all "your luteal phase stays the same, it's the days before O that change". Um... yeah I know that's the whole freakin problem!! Is it just me or do you get the impression that the doctors think we are dumb as a box of rocks? I wouldn't be saying that my luteal phase is getting shorter if I didn't have a good reason to think so. Hell if I didn't chart I would have no idea. Also she was all it doesn't really matter about luteal phase as long as you are ovulating. Um what the ***?! She didn't seem to reckon I should do CD3 bloodwork but oh well when I get this bloodwork and testing done she will give me a referral to a doc at the public hospital down there which should make it nowhere near as costly as if I sourced a private one myself. Also she was all would you rather do it with a proper doctor who will analyse it or do you want to try and interpret it yourself? Ugh. Here is what I am looking at getting with my blood tests tomorrow:
thyroidy stuff: TSH, E/LFTs and FBE (I'm due to get THS checked again anyways as it was low or high one time, whichever one means my thyroid is going slow)
Polycystic ovary bloodwork, will just write out what the sheet says because I don't understand much of any of it: fasting glucose, E/LFT, Insulin, Prolactin, SHBG, Testosterone, Urine cortisol: 24 hour, DHEAS
Also given paperwork to get a pelvic ultrasound.

Anyone know what some of the weirder ones are? The letter ones mostly, the words are fairly straightforward. I know THS is thyroid stimulating hormone but that's about it. Also I am going to get the bloodwork tomorrow, should I get the ultrasound now or should I wait until AF is over? I have no idea when I am meant to do it. I guess I will go over and ask them but a bit of insight from the girls here might be good too :).

~ Nicole ~ June 14th, 2013 03:03 AM

Re: Doctor's Appt Update

so you do have low thyroid or borderline low? I highly suspect this could be what is wrong with me and my cycles are 28-45 days apart. I have researched it quite a bit as I have a ton of symptoms and been suspecting a thyroid issue for a few years. I am getting my bloodwork Monday or Tuesday. Anyways if you were low or almost in the low range this can get slowly worse over time and once your thyroid gets bad enough It can start messing with your fertility. So good that you are getting rechecked. If your thyroid is abnormal than your doctor will work with you on the right medication dose to get things normal again and your fertility should greatly improve. Of course I hope nothing is found wrong for you but sometimes finding something can be a good thing too because than you can know what next steps to take to increase your chances of conception. I know how frustrating the crazy irregular cycles are. I hope you will get some answers soon. and wow how did that woman ever pass medical school. you would think being a woman herself she would know how things work down there. I would not even want her running my blood tests even if it costs less!

bella88 June 14th, 2013 04:02 AM

I have had one abnormal reading and one normal reading so I have to get it checked every six months apparently. I do have a fair few symptoms of my thyroid being a bit slow and yeah if it has gone downhill that could be half the problem. At least I suppose the treatment for slow thyroid is a lot easer than the treatment for too fast. Pretend I have an excuse for getting a bit fat :P. It is good that I will get referred to a real OBGYN after getting these tests done and they will also reinterpret the results I'd imagine and do all their own tests. On the upside when we get bloodwork done abnormal stuff gets highlighted lol. Honestly as soon as she was all "no we don't need to do any CD3 bloodwork, just the day 21 test for progesterone to see if you are ovulating. That's all that would need to be done" I was pretty sold on just getting the appt for the referral and that's about it. Let a real doctor who might actually know some real stuff on the reproductive system sort me out. I just hate when I am made to feel dumb when I feel like I know my stuff pretty well. Don't look at me in that patronising manner and ask me why I think my luteal phase is shorter and pay stuff all real attn to when I give examples of why.

Gamer_Princess June 14th, 2013 04:24 AM

Honestly some doctors are complete quacks and do not understand infertility. I had one doctor before my GYNO that was a quack... of course I was in a different area than I am now BUT dang he made me feel so stupid for coming in after we had been trying for over a year....Then i met my amazing GYNO who wanted me to go to the RE right away.... but I put it off.. Now here we are almost 5 years later getting the treatment we need :)

You sometimes have to advocate for yourself and push where no one else will. I am uncertain about some of the blood work but more over it is testing your egg reserve and quality.

I so cannot wait to hear what your results are :) BTW the TTC with MA board ladies are like pros when it comes to different hormones and treatments of those... LASH/Lauren is a woman who has the most insight so you may want to PM her because she is so knowledgeable on all things TTC with MA :) Lucy will also have WAY more insight than myself :)

GOOD LUCK SWEETS!! :wub:

WaitinginNJ June 14th, 2013 09:17 AM

Some doctors suck and I do not know how they are allowed to practice medicine. I hate when a doctor thinks that we are crazy and speak down to us like we are stupid!
I have no idea about the blood work, but as for the ultrasound, I would wait until AFTER AF is done for that. :( Good Luck xoxoxo

hopeful_girl55 June 14th, 2013 09:46 AM

Yeah every time I go to the doctor I usually just interrupt them when they start explain something I already know. I hate when they think I don't know what I am talking about. STFU! is what I would like to say to them most of the time. My new doctor is really nice though.

I hope you get answers soon!

bella88 June 14th, 2013 04:27 PM

Thanks everyone :). Sitting waiting for them yo take a bucket of blood from me. Oh boy do I hate hate HATE needles :eek:. I could throw up right now lol. I am hoping for some answers too but, more than anything, I hope I get pregnant before I get to my appt :giggle:

mom2ariana June 15th, 2013 06:51 PM

They don't need to be doing JUST a TSH. They also need to do T4 and T3. Without all three, they can't possibly diagnose hypo or hyperthyroidism. This is coming from the doctor I worked for for over a year. He was internal medicine and one of the best in the southeast...been in practice for 30 + years now...

they should be looking at progesterone as well. some doctor's i've encountered are total quacks, while others are great. i can't brag enough about my OB and her whole office. i just love everyone there.

bella88 June 15th, 2013 08:21 PM

Thanks for the info on the T3 and T4 :). I think I will get them to do the progesterone at 7dpo.

AnnaBonana June 16th, 2013 06:43 AM

Oh, Bella! I feel your pain! I had a GYNO tell me a few weeks ago that it doesn't matter how thick your uterine lining is... It just matters that you ovulate and have an amount of bleeding. I saw another Gyno the next day who was horrified and immediately ordered pelvic ultrasound and hormonal blood work up.

All this to say, hopefully your next doc is a little less obtuse and you get the care you need! Hugs!

bella88 June 16th, 2013 02:54 PM

Lol I know right? Because ovulation is the only factor that matters -_-. Tomorrow is going to be suck, getting all my blood tests as well as my Orthodontist appt where they are going to put a screw in the roof of my mouth... fun day! Lol Im at work today but I need to take a big bottle with me that the pathology ppl gave me plus a funnel and some lame seat to catch pee as I have to do a 24 hour urine thingy and drop it off when I go to get the blood tests :/ awkward factor is pretty high.

mom2ariana June 16th, 2013 08:43 PM

At least you will have answers soon. :)

bella88 June 17th, 2013 04:23 PM

Yeah :). Darn blood test hurt this morning, probably from it being 3-4 vials more than anything lol. Aches like a witch!! Orthodontist appt in 40 mins (not looking forward to a screw in the roof of my.mouth!) then going for that pelvic ultrasound. Full rich day of fun lol.

AnnaBonana June 17th, 2013 09:57 PM

I hope your day went as well as it could, given the circumstances ... Have you a nice bottle of wine when you get home?

((Hugs))

Gamer_Princess June 17th, 2013 10:01 PM

How did the ultrasound go? :)

bella88 June 18th, 2013 12:58 AM

Hey ladies, the appointments went well. My arm is still a bit sore from the blood tests and my mouth is killing even though the ortho decided to go with bands and see if they work first. The ultrasound was ok as far as I know. I have the pictures but the analysis or whatever it is called got sent to the docs and I have an appt for friday afternoon to find out how everything went. The ultrasound tech was about 15 mins late because the appt before me ran long. OMG I was in agony. Gotta love when they do the abdominal bit first and say, "Yes your bladder is definintely very full"... I KNOW YOU ARE SQUISHING IT AND I THINK I MIGHT DIE FROM IT :rofl:. Lol I will take transvaginal any day of the week over having to pee that bad :giggle:. Even with it feeling like she is going to lift me off the bed trying to manoeuvre the thing to peek properly at my retroverted uterus. She wasn't particularly forthcoming about much so hopefully that is good. Guess I have three more days until I find out!

Gamer_Princess June 18th, 2013 03:31 AM

I cannot wait for your appointment :)