JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/)
-   -   Flu shot?! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/2682072-flu-shot.html)

Eleanor-Abigail September 28th, 2013 10:51 AM

Flu shot?!

Well, I had my annual flu shot yesterday. For the first time ever I had a bad reaction to it. Low grade fever/chills/aches, zombie-like fatigue. I'm back to feeling 100% today! but here's my main point:

Now today I learn that you shouldn't have a flu shot in the 1st trimester! IF I get a BFP this cycle I need to go buy a lottery ticket...seriously slim chance...but still...I can't believe I didn't know that going in! I'm sure I didn't see it on the consent form. GRRR...

Just thought I'd point that out to you ladies who just got your BFP's!

Melissadd September 28th, 2013 11:46 AM

Re: Flu shot?!

Thanks so much for sharing that info with us.
I am glad you are feeling better today :)

Eleanor-Abigail September 28th, 2013 02:00 PM

Yeah, it was a surprise to me. I'm thinking AF should be here on Mon, that's IF I even O'd, so not too worried for me, just for other ladies.

Update: my consent form asks, "Are you pregnant or a nursing mother?" And if yes to notify the nurse prior to the shot. (When I was nursing DD I was just told to get the shot not the mist.)

Well, no one even looked at my frikkin' consent form anyway, even though I answered "yes" to one of the other questions. No explanation as to WHY answering "yes" means anything.

Ugh. Rabble! Rabble! Grumble!

WendyBird September 28th, 2013 02:08 PM

Bummer! Flu shot = suck

Eleanor-Abigail September 28th, 2013 02:23 PM

Usually I only know I've had a shot b/c of the bandaid! Yesterday was a fluke that hopefully won't be repeated next year.

But: I am super glad I learned about the warning in time to share it w/ you, Chrysalis, and everyone else getting their BFP's!

Decemberhill September 28th, 2013 03:42 PM

Actually, it is safe to get the flu shot during the first trimester. It is just advised that you don't get the nasal spray as it's an active form of the virus, the shot is inactive.

Flu shot in pregnancy: Is it safe? - MayoClinic.com

bella88 September 28th, 2013 04:05 PM

Yeah as far as I knew the actual shot was fine, just not the spray :). They actually recommend that you get the flu shot while you are pregnant if you are due for it.

Eleanor-Abigail September 29th, 2013 01:56 PM

Oh, interesting! Thanks for the additional info. I was surprised because, as I mentioned, when I was pregnant w/ DD one year & then nursing her the next, they just told me to get the shot. Nobody seemed concerned. I actually prefer that over the mist anyway. I just saw the statement online yesterday that said, "don't get the shot if you're in the first trimester" and I was like whaaaa?