JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/)
-   -   Less is More? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/2686218-less-more.html)

susbequer1 October 16th, 2013 09:36 AM

Less is More?

Just wondering if you ladies agree with the theory that you shouldn't DTD daily around o time because it will lower the sperm count? I read that all the time and I'm curious if its really true.

Decemberhill October 16th, 2013 09:44 AM

Re: Less is More?

We DTD every day leading up to O and the day after. I'm 9 weeks pregnant. :)

LivyLove October 16th, 2013 09:51 AM

I dont think I believe that but then again I haven't seen a lot of research that disproves it either way.

meld10 October 16th, 2013 09:52 AM

From what I have been reading lately, the theory that you shouldn't BD everyday is apparently a myth and doesn't lower sperm count. According to recent studies, sex everyday during your fertile window is more likely to result in a pregnancy.

susbequer1 October 16th, 2013 10:59 AM

Interesting. I wonder about more then once a day around your fertile window. Do you have any article or anything meld10? I'd be curious to read on that.

meld10 October 16th, 2013 11:42 AM

I'm reading ''The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant'' and in it she refers to these study:

Levitas, E. et al. (2005). Relationship between the duration of sexual abstinence and semen quality: Analysis of 9,489 semen samples. Fertility and Sterility, 83, 1680 - 1686.

Stanford, J.B. & Dunson, D.B. (2007). Effects of sexual intercourse patterns in time to pregnancy studies. American Journal of Epidemiology, 165, 1088-1095.

With a quick google search with the titles of the names of the first study I found this:
Fertility Neighborhood : Docs Suggest Way to Boost Sperm Quality for ART

Here's an interesting bit: "Avoiding sexual abstinence or abstinence lasting just 1 day [for those with low counts] was related to peak sperm quality," the research group concluded.''

susbequer1 October 16th, 2013 11:50 AM

Interesting, thank you!!!!

Tiffany8620 October 16th, 2013 11:54 AM

Last time I got pregnant we DTD nine days in a row, and things worked out in our favor. :)

babygirlbaby October 16th, 2013 11:59 AM

From what I've read, it's fine if the guy has normal sperm count, ect...but if the guy has a lower sperm count, it's better to bd every 2-3 days. There're a lot of conflicting studies though...

susbequer1 October 16th, 2013 12:04 PM

Yeah that's what I've read. But I have no clue whether DH has a low sperm count or not!

Knewton October 16th, 2013 02:51 PM

From my understanding, as long as you don't have any male problems having sex daily doesn't lower sperm count and actually insures that you have a fresh supply all the time. I have read not having sex regular can effect sperm. Also it only makes sense that dtd daily would increase your likely hood of being pregnant. They say sperm can get to the egg in as quick as 20 minutes. So lay down after you dtd and read a book. We dtd anytime my husbands home and daily when it's close to O

Libby22 October 16th, 2013 04:01 PM

we didn't have sex till cd13 then everyday till cd16 :D with my girls