JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/)
-   -   Statistics (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f29-trying-to-conceive/2695112-statistics.html)

JennyForrest November 27th, 2013 01:01 PM

Statistics

I hear all sorts of statistics on how long it takes the average couple to conceive.

I've seen this on babycenter.com
Quote:

Of all couples trying to conceive, here's about how long it takes:
30 percent get pregnant the first cycle (about one month)
59 percent get pregnant within three cycles (about three months)
80 percent get pregnant within six cycles (about six months)
85 percent get pregnant within 12 cycles (about one year)
91 percent get pregnant within 36 cycles (about three years)
93 to 95 percent get pregnant within 48 cycles (about four years)
But I've also read that the average is anywhere from 6-12 months. Are statistics like this based on people just trying, or those of us that temp, check CM, CP, and use OPK's?

Danielle.W November 27th, 2013 01:06 PM

Re: Statistics

I think that's based off just "Trying"

I hope this is right! This is our third month :) :) Come on body!!

electriclids November 27th, 2013 01:07 PM

I really have no idea, but my doctor told me that a year is still considered in the normal range.
I've also heard that there is a 20% chance of conception each cycle. Totally not sure where I heard that or if it's correct though.

... so yep, I was totally helpful just now :)

Knewton November 27th, 2013 03:44 PM

I read its 25% for those under 26 then those 26-30 are at a 20% chance each month.. aftr 30 it declines. I am going to a ob in 2 weeks.. we stopped preventing in december last year but he worked out of town so june july sept nov and I might count october though we missed our prime days…. but she doesn't need to know… I am hoping she can give me something to boost our fertility or ease my mind that my tubes are not blocked

JennyForrest November 27th, 2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electriclids (Post 27826239)
I really have no idea, but my doctor told me that a year is still considered in the normal range.
I've also heard that there is a 20% chance of conception each cycle. Totally not sure where I heard that or if it's correct though.

I was told the same thing. But if it's 20% each month, then it should really only take 5 months. I think a year is a long time for a healthy person under 35. Maybe the year thing is for people NTNP. :confused:

jellybean93 November 28th, 2013 10:03 AM

January will be 2 years off birth control... plus my miscarriage rate is apparently 49% due to PCOS. How dismal!! Sometimes I really don't like stats lol unless they are positive and work in my favour, then I love them :D

electriclids November 29th, 2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyForrest (Post 27826786)
I was told the same thing. But if it's 20% each month, then it should really only take 5 months. I think a year is a long time for a healthy person under 35. Maybe the year thing is for people NTNP. :confused:

Yeah, a year seemed like a really long time! I know one friend went to the doctor after 6 months of trying and he said he didn't want to do anything for 4 more cycles (and she's 36!), another friend went after 5 months and told her to wait 2 more cycles... so I dunno.

MusicFanatic79 November 29th, 2013 02:57 PM

I would guess it's a combo and average of ALL women? Some trying, some not, some temping/charting, some not... etc. That's my take, anyway.

tiffany&co. November 29th, 2013 03:21 PM

I agree with Music Fanatic. My doctor said 6 months of actively trying (timed intercourse) is long enough to look into a medical cause. A year is if you are having sex 2-3 times a week but not really timing it.

wifey2josh November 30th, 2013 08:55 AM

I'm on month 8 and I'm only 28, so I'm thinking something is def. preventing us from getting pregnant....