JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   TTC #1 Grads Journals (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1723-ttc-1-grads-journals/)
-   -   Sean's Baby Steps (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1723-ttc-1-grads-journals/2591059-seans-baby-steps.html)

Belita November 1st, 2012 03:13 PM

Sean's Baby Steps

Birth Story

http://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...9818aa302f.jpg

So, you all know that on Saturday I went to L&D and was diagnosed with a bladder infection and sent home on bed rest and to do a 24-hour urine collection. I was told to make an appt for Monday to be seen.

On Monday, they had me get seen in L&D because I was seeing stars and the hospital is where they like to have people drop off the 24-hour urine anyways. DH was working from home because of Hurricane Sandy but I thought the monitoring would be no big deal so I went to L&D by myself. I got there about 10am.

I was monitored for a few hours and had a few high BPs, but nothing bad. My OB was the one at the hospital on Monday and she came in and told me that I had a mild case of Toxemia in Pregnancy aka pre-eclampsia and that since Sean was 37 weeks it was safest to just induce. I called DH and we agreed to the induction and decided he would finish work before heading to the hospital since we were told it'd be a while.

I was started on Cytotec to ripen my cervix since I cannot have Cervadil due to my asthma. I made great progress with the first dose, so they thought I'd only need 2 doses, but the second dose was at 9pm and they gave me a sleeping pill, for which I laid down and gravity no longer worked, so it took 4 doses, until 9am, to get me to be able to start on Pitocin. They broke my water at 1pm and we thought it'd be quick!

Again, I laid down to rest after getting my epidural around 4:30 and gravity was not my friend. At 7pm they were concerned about my progress, so I sat up and started to get great progress again.

At around 9 I was fully dilated and effaced so we starred pushing at around 9:30. Sean's heartrate kept skyrocketing, my BP went up, I registered a fever, and despite an hour and a half of what the OB called perfect pushing, Sean was still not descending. At this point there was also meconium in the waters so the OB decided it was best to perform a c-section.

I was so scared and was swearing I'd never do this again. I wanted the baby out of me, but didn't at the same time. DH was trying to help calm me down and I was taking deep breaths because I didn't want to have to be put under and miss out on my precious boy's birth!

I'd been telling all the doctors and nurses that it was our first anniversary and they were all encouraging each other to get a move on so we could have our anniversary baby! It was also the anesthesiologist's birthday, so he wanted to make sure Sean was born before midnight for that reason, too!

At 11:49 Sean Jackson was born at a whopping 8lbs and 20.5" long at 37 weeks!!! His cries were like music to my ears! He was an anniversary baby with just 11 minutes to spare! They let DH look over the curtain, but I didn't get to see him for about 15 minutes because they had to really take a close look at him due to my fever and the meconium. The OB said if we'd waited even a few more hours to deliver he would have been one sick little boy!

They let me hold him on the way back to a L&D room, where we would stay for 24 hours because they needed to give me magnesium and closely monitor me because of my pre-eclampsia, fever, and increased risk of seizures. I was able to feed Sean and he latched like a pro! The nurses were all so impressed since c-section babies, especially when they are induced, tend to have a hard time nursing.

After I fed him, they took him to the nursery for a few hours to do his assessments, bathe him, and give him IV antibiotics. I was so excited when they brought him to us at 4am and let us room in. Aside from a few trips to the nursery when he needed assessments and anti-biotics, he's been with us ever since. I feel so badly that he needs an IV, but I know there was nothing I could have done. I had one high temp and they were just being cautious. He has also had a few bottles because his blood sugar was so low and you can't force-feed a breast but he doesn't seem to suffer at all. In fact, we're letting him use a pacifier now because he needs it to soothe and was doing so well with switching.

We were moved into a regular postpartum room at 1am. We'll be here until Saturday or Sunday. We are so in love with our little boy! I'm so glad I didn't make a birth plan because absolutely nothing, besides having a beautiful baby boy, went according to plan. Instead of regret I'm filled with peace that all along we've made the right decisions for the health and well-being of our son and you can't get any better than that!

DaniM0820 November 1st, 2012 05:10 PM

Re: Sean's Baby Journal

:bluecheer:
Congrats mama! He's beautiful!!

kbpeanut November 1st, 2012 06:46 PM

Congrats Robyn! He is simply precious! He looks like he's giggling :)

What a story you have! I'm glad that, at the end of it all, you are happy with the ultimate outcome = your little boy! Goes to show that no amount of planning and prep that we can do can prepare us for what might actually go down. I'm glad that you, Bert, and Sean will be able to spend some bonding time together very soon!

Jen@FirsAve November 2nd, 2012 03:14 AM

Congratulations Robyn, he's adorable. I'm so glad that your all safe and well, your right about the outcome being the most important thing, i hope you and your new little family get to go home soon!

Nicholle ttc November 2nd, 2012 07:04 AM

Awww, congrats again! So happy that adorable Sean is out in the world now! :D

Jules_loves_beaches November 2nd, 2012 07:17 AM

Congrats!!! Sean is adorable! Such a long process to get the best gift ever, your baby boy. Its so awesome that you have your anniversary baby as well. :)

Servilia November 2nd, 2012 08:18 AM

Congrats momma!! :D I'm so glad it all turned out wonderfully in the end. He's adorable!

Mom2JDub November 2nd, 2012 10:44 AM

He is so precious. His birth may not have gone like you'd hoped, but he's here with you now... the best anniversary present ever. Hope your recovery is quick. I loved following your TTC journey, then your pregnancy journey, and now I'm so excited to follow your new mommy journey. :heart:

Belita November 3rd, 2012 05:28 PM

4 Days Old-Coming Home!

We're home! It's wonderful having him home. Feels surreal that we're parents and that this boy was inside of me a few days ago!

We've had lots of visitors and more will be coming this week and next week to meet Sean. MIL is coming down to help out for the week. It's even more helpful than we thought it'd be because I'm not allowed to do much more than care for Sean for at least 2 weeks!

I'm so sleepy all the time! I haven't been able to sleep when Sean sleeps because of all the visitors and yesterday we spent much of the day with the lactation consultant. I should be able to start that now. I'm sure the meds I'm on for pain aren't helping the matter! ;)

Sean is a Breastfeeding pro at night, but doesn't want to wake up enough to latch during the day. The lactation consultant thinks he just wasn't quite ready to be born yet and he just needs to learn how to wake up a bit better. This qualifies as a medical reason for needing a pump, so insurance is covering a pump the hospital gave us today and we'll take back the pump I'd already purchased.

In exciting news, my milk came in!!! :woohoo: The nurse was impressed it came in already, especially with the c-section. It sounds like overall we're pretty lucky that the effects of inducing Sean are quite minimal and easy to overcome.

I love watching DH with Sean. He's being such a great father and is doing a good job taking care of me, too. I love our new little family! :wub:

SabrinaH November 4th, 2012 10:07 AM

Congrats! He's precious. I'm glad Bfing is working out for you.

Crystallee November 4th, 2012 07:36 PM

Love the new facebook pics :)

DeepSouthMommy November 5th, 2012 07:19 AM

Strip his booty naked! :lol: That helps wake them up. Sean is adorable!!! It stinks that things went so crazy with his birth, but like you said, he's here, that's all that matters. :)

Btw, I'm sure you know this, but it's ok...and nessecary sometimes...to ask people to not visit for a couple of days. They understand that being a new mommy is exhausting! Give yourself some down time and some more bonding time by taking a couple of days "off" from company. Hugs!

Jules_loves_beaches November 5th, 2012 07:22 AM

Glad you are home and that your MIL was able to come and help out. Yay for the free pump too!! Try and rest up mama and enjoy your family of 3 :wub:

Nicholle ttc November 5th, 2012 07:26 AM

:wub: It sounds like everything is going so well already! Sean is such a cutie, you guys are so blessed! :)

kbpeanut November 5th, 2012 09:05 AM

I'm glad things are going well for your Robyn. Sean is one adorable little guy, and he always looks like he's laughing or giggling to me! :)

I'm glad you have so much love around you, but I agree with Michelle, if it's too much, don't hesitate to ask people to give you some time alone.

Looking forward to watching him grow!

blueeyes25s November 5th, 2012 02:44 PM

Sorry for the late post. Congrats!!!! What an perfect anniversary gift. Sean is so precious. I love the pics on FB. What a birth story but I'm glad you are happy with how eveything went and of course the outcome. It's nice that your MIL is going to come and help out.

Belita November 5th, 2012 08:17 PM

6 days old

I can't believe my baby will be a week old tomorrow! Time needs to slow down!! :cry:

A girl in my DDC gave birth to a stillborn baby boy today. I feel horrible for her! It's true what they say about hearing bad things happening to children making you want to hold on to your own a little tighter. I'm totally taking advantage of Sean's snugly stage and cuddling as much as possible.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments about Sean! We think he's pretty special, too. He's such a good baby and only gets fussy if he's gassy, hungry, or cold and you can't blame him for that!

Michelle, I do that with every feed. The lactation consultant basically spent the entire day with us on Friday so we've tried everything. He's getting better at it, like they said he would, he just needs to mature a little.

Today we had a visit from the visiting nurse. Sean is down to 7lbs 8oz but he should start gaining weight soon. I'm able to pump about 1oz per breast when I pump and she said that's perfect for right now. She said my BP is still a little high and that it can take a few weeks to come down. I'm loving this Baby Connect app I downloaded. It tracks everything so when the nurse had questions about his poops or I want to remember which side I should start on when Breastfeeding, I can take a look in the app and it tells me. DH can also use the app from his phone and they sync up with each other.

Sean doesn't like to burp and he gets very gassy. Poor little guy! Rubbing his belly helps get it out and I'm trying different combinations of burping styles to figure out what will work best for Sean. I hope we figure it out soon so his tummy can feel better! The nurse recommended I keep him elevated for 30 minutes after feeding to try to help so we've just started doing that.

Sean is able to roll onto his side! It scared me at first! I think Adrienne mentioned Jack doing the same thing. I put him to sleep on his back and he just rolls right up onto his right side! The nurse said it's ok and just be sure he has nothing around him when sleeping. She said babies often try to get into the same position they were in in utero and he must have spent a lot of time on his right side then. He's also starting to work his way out of swaddles and can lift his head for about 2 seconds. Stop growing, Sean! Mommy is proud of you for being so strong and healthy but she wants you to be little for a while and not grow up so fast!!

Tomorrow DH is working from home because MIL has an appt about 2 hours from here and we have an OB appt for me and a ped appt for Sean. DH missed him while he was working today. He came home and after changing out of his work clothes just snuggled with Sean until Sean needed to eat. I think I might pump one bottle every day just so DH can feed him at night. I'm sure DH will appreciate it.

kbpeanut November 6th, 2012 08:39 AM

How is he already a week old???!!! Sounds like you two (three), are doing a good job getting settled in at home!

How are the kitties??

blueeyes25s November 6th, 2012 06:15 PM

Aww..that has to be amazing to watch DH snuggle and bond with Sean. It sounds like you getting settled in nicely.

Jules_loves_beaches November 7th, 2012 02:25 PM

That does sound like a great app! Don't you love technology these days.

Wow, he is already rolling over! What a strong and healthy little boy. :)