JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   TTCAL Weight-loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1678-ttcal-weight-loss/)
-   -   Recipes (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1678-ttcal-weight-loss/2366830-recipes.html)

.:Shortcake:. July 6th, 2011 07:19 PM

Recipes

Post your yummy recipes here!

Easy Baked Apples:

Ingredients

6 small apples, cored and halved
2 cups sugar-free diet orange-flavored carbonated beverage

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Arrange the apples into a baking dish with the cut sides facing down. Pour the orange beverage over the apples.
Bake in the preheated oven until the apples are tender, about 1 hour.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 55 | Total Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 0mg

melissalaw July 7th, 2011 11:54 AM

Re: Recipes

I got this recipe from the Cooking Light Magazine and it is the best chicken recipe ever plus so easy.

Ingredients

1 cup low-fat buttermilk 4 (8-ounce) bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 1/3 cup cracker meal 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons butter

Directions
1. To prepare chicken, combine buttermilk and chicken in a shallow dish, turning to coat.

2. Combine flour and cracker meal in a shallow dish. Transfer chicken from buttermilk to a work surface. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Working with one chicken breast half at a time, dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess; set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken and flour mixture.

3. Melt butter in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan, meat side down; cook 4 minutes or until golden brown. Turn chicken over, and bake at 425° for 32 minutes or until a thermometer registers 165°.

The recipe calls form bone in chicken breast halves but I always use boneless skinless chicken thighs and think they are great. I like chicken thighs better than chicken breasts though.

I make this recipe almost weekly and my husband loves it. Enjoy!!

pepper73 July 9th, 2011 07:34 AM

Low-Fat Caesar Salad

1 to 2 finely chopped or minced garlic cloves with inner green germ removed
1 anchovy fillet, mashed (Anchovy paste may be substituted-approximately two inches squeezed from the tube).
Pinch of coarse salt
Juice of one (1) lemon
3 drops Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup low-fat or light mayonnaise (you can use fat-free, but I personally like a little more flavor)
2 to 3 tablespoons water (to achieve desired thickness)
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Romaine lettuce, hearts and tender leaves only
Coarsely ground black pepper

Preparation:

To make dressing: In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, anchovy, and salt until blended. Whisk in the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, and water. When the dressing is well combined and to the desired thickness you wish, whisk in 2 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.

To assemble salad: Separate the Romaine leaves and discard the coarse outer leaves. Wash, drain, and pat with paper towels or spin dry the remaining leaves. Note: Lettuce should be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to use. Tear into bite-size pieces and set aside.

In a large salad bowl, add the Romaine lettuce pieces and the dressing, a little at a time; toss until coated.

To serve: Divide the salad between chilled salad plates and sprinkle each salad with the remaining Parmesan cheese and coarsely ground pepper. Serve immediately with chilled forks.

You can also add grilled chicken, steak, or shrimp to add a bit more to it.

Each Serving Totals - 1.6 Fat Grams, 4.5 Carbohydrate grams, 39 calories, 2 WW Points

melissalaw July 12th, 2011 01:14 PM

Red Beans and Rice

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 bay leaves
4 ounces turkey sausage links, cut into chunks
3 cups cooked red beans or canned red beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chicken broth
hot-pepper sauce
2 cups hot cooked instant brown rice

Directions

1. Set a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Heat for 30 seconds. Add the onion, pepper, celery, garlic, thyme, salt, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until starting to soften. Scrape the vegetables to one side of the pan. Add the sausage to the empty side. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is lightly browned.

2. Add the beans and broth. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, or until the flavors blend. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Add up to 1 teaspoon of hot-pepper sauce. Serve over the rice. Pass the hot-pepper sauce at the table.

If you like red beans and rice, you will love this healthy version. Enjoy!!

melissalaw July 13th, 2011 07:49 AM

Pork Chop with Country Gravy

Ingredients

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
1 tablespoon butter Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk

Directions

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, salt, dried marjoram, dried thyme, and dried rubbed sage in a shallow dish. Dredge pork in flour mixture, turning to coat; shake off excess. Reserve remaining flour mixture.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Reduce heat, and cook for 10 minutes or until done, turning pork once. Remove pork from pan; keep warm.

Combine reserved flour mixture and milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add milk mixture to pan; place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Serve with chops.

I got this one out of the cooking light magazine also. It is so yummy!! I love the cooking light magazine.

melissalaw July 19th, 2011 12:18 PM

Bada Bing Pork Chops

Ingredients
1 cup Fat FreeItalian-style salad dressing
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
1 lime, juiced
6 bone-in pork chops

Directions
1.Mix together the Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, applesauce, hot pepper sauce, and lime juice in a bowl. Pour the marinade over the pork chops, and refrigerate in marinade for 6 hours or overnight.
2.Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate.
3.Remove the chops from the marinade, and pour marinade into a saucepan. Bring the marinade to a boil over medium heat, and allow to boil for about 1 minute. Place the pork chops onto the preheated grill, and grill until well browned and no longer pink in the middle, about 6 minutes per side, basting the chops occasionally with the marinade. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Allow the marinade baste to cook completely onto the chops.

This is a great pork chops recipe and really easy!!

melissalaw September 21st, 2011 09:17 AM

Chicken and Herb White Pizza

Ingredients
1 pound refrigerated fresh pizza dough
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley Preparation

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray; let dough stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add flour and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
4. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal; roll dough into a 12-inch circle on prepared baking sheet. Spread white sauce over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with chicken and onion. Bake at 450° on bottom oven rack for 17 minutes or until crust is golden. Sprinkle with herbs.

I got this recipe from cooking light magazine and it is delicious. I didn't use the chives because I don't like chives and the next time I make it I will add the flour after the milk. I had a hard time getting the flour to mix in.

Hope you guys enjoy.

melissalaw November 15th, 2011 08:56 AM

Pork Chops, Apples & Greens
Makes: 4 servings

Start to Finish: 30 mins
Ingredients

4 5 ounces boneless pork chops
3 slices day-old bread
1 egg
1/2
teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cooking apples, cored and sliced
1/4
cup honey
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
6 cups packaged baby spinach
Freshly ground pepper
Directions

1. Place each chop between waxed paper or plastic wrap. With the flat side of a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound pork to 1/2-inch thickness.

2. In a food processor, process bread to crumbs; place in a shallow dish. In second shallow dish, lightly beat the egg with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Dip pork in egg and then bread crumbs to coat.

3. In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil then cook pork for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden on the outside with just a trace of pink inside. Transfer chops to a platter; cover to keep warm.

4. Stir honey, mustard, and vinegar into skillet drippings. Add apple slices; cook about 3 minutes, until crisp-tender. Toss in spinach; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.

5. Serve chops with apples and spinach. Drizzle pan juices and sprinkle with pepper.

I just bought thin pork chops and used them instead of pounding the pork down. So yummy. Hope you guys enjoy.

pepper73 November 15th, 2011 03:37 PM

Melissa, that sounds delicious!!! Do you think it would be ok to use pre-made bread crumbs instead of the bread with the food processor? I think I have 2 boxes of bread crumbs so if I can use those instead, that would be great. I think it would still have the same results. Also, did you use fresh spinach or frozen? I'm assuming fresh since it would be tastier. We bought a pig that was raised by a friend and recently euthanized (I hate the "S" word) and we have a ton of pork products now. BUT...I don't think any of the chops are boneless so I'll have to go out and get some at the store. I think buying them thin is a great idea.

melissalaw November 15th, 2011 06:43 PM

Sarah I should have added that I use bread crumbs instead of the bread. Yes you can use bread crumbs. I think I put around 3/4 cup of bread crumps in a bowl and used that. Yes we used fresh spinach. I left it out last time I made them because DH doesn't like the spinach. Let me know how you like them after you try them. I think they are great.

pepper73 November 16th, 2011 04:24 AM

That's too bad that your DH doesn't like spinach. I can almost imagine the flavor mixture just thinking about it. Does he like asparagus? Maybe that could be substituted? I had a dream I made this last night and it was fabulous. Maybe I'll get some extra apples and make Katie's baked apple recipe for dessert! Yum!!!

melissalaw November 16th, 2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper73 (Post 25196162)
That's too bad that your DH doesn't like spinach. I can almost imagine the flavor mixture just thinking about it. Does he like asparagus? Maybe that could be substituted? I had a dream I made this last night and it was fabulous. Maybe I'll get some extra apples and make Katie's baked apple recipe for dessert! Yum!!!

I was just thinking the same thing about the apples. I think I will try katie's baked apples..lol. DH doesn't like asparagus either. he's not a huge vegetable fan. I always make me a side of some sort of vegetable to go with dinner though.

pepper73 November 17th, 2011 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissalaw (Post 25197561)
I was just thinking the same thing about the apples. I think I will try katie's baked apples..lol. DH doesn't like asparagus either. he's not a huge vegetable fan. I always make me a side of some sort of vegetable to go with dinner though.

I can't imagine not liking vegetables. I love them!! My favorite thing to make is pretty salads full of all kinds of goodies.

So, I made the pork dish last night and OMG it was unbelievable!!! It tasted exactly like I imagined and I think it's my new favorite dish! I think chicken could be substituted too, and even veal but I won't eat that. I'd even put in some candied walnuts, but my BF hates nuts so I can't do that..but I think it would be delicious. I never got around to the baked apples because I didn't notice until too late that they had to be in for an hour. Maybe I'll do that this weekend when my BF's DD is here. She's a sugar fiend so if I can give her a healthy, sugar-free dessert, it would be perfect!

melissalaw November 17th, 2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper73 (Post 25202265)
I can't imagine not liking vegetables. I love them!! My favorite thing to make is pretty salads full of all kinds of goodies.

So, I made the pork dish last night and OMG it was unbelievable!!! It tasted exactly like I imagined and I think it's my new favorite dish! I think chicken could be substituted too, and even veal but I won't eat that. I'd even put in some candied walnuts, but my BF hates nuts so I can't do that..but I think it would be delicious. I never got around to the baked apples because I didn't notice until too late that they had to be in for an hour. Maybe I'll do that this weekend when my BF's DD is here. She's a sugar fiend so if I can give her a healthy, sugar-free dessert, it would be perfect!

I know I love vegetables. Especially salads. Last weekend that's all I ate was a big salad with lots of boiled eggs and buttermilk ranch dressing. So good. DH likes some just not spinach or asparagus. I'm so glad you liked the pork. We had it last night and yes it is awesome. The candied walnuts sound great. I think I will try that next time.

melissalaw November 29th, 2011 11:32 AM

Chicken-and-Wild Rice Casserole

Ingredients
1 (2.25-oz.) package sliced almonds
2 (6.2-oz.) boxes fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice mix
1/4 cup butter
4 celery ribs, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
5 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans healthy request cream of mushroom soup
2 (8-oz.) cans chopped water chestnuts, drained
1 (8-oz.) container fat free sour cream
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 cups (16 oz.) shredded light Cheddar cheese, divided
2 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake almonds in a single layer in a shallow pan 4 to 6 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.

2. Prepare rice mixes according to package directions.

3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add celery and onions. Sautι 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, next 6 ingredients, rice, and 3 cups cheese. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 15- x 10-inch baking dish or 2 (11- x 7-inch) baking dishes. Top with breadcrumbs.

4. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese, and top with toasted almonds. Bake 5 minutes.

I halved the recipe so it wouldn't make quite so much but it is delicious!! Enjoy

melissalaw January 12th, 2012 07:58 AM

Chicken with Olives and Lemons

Ingredients
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, halved crosswise
Cooking spray
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
15 oil-cured olives, pitted and sliced
1 large shallot, sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal. Shake to coat chicken. Marinate 15 minutes at room temperature. Arrange chicken mixture in a broiler-safe 11 x 7–inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken evenly with oregano and the next 4 ingredients (through shallot); top with lemon slices. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.

3. Remove chicken from oven. Preheat broiler to HIGH.

4. Place chicken 3 inches from broiler element; broil on HIGH for 3 minutes or until chicken is browned and done.

melissalaw March 12th, 2012 01:18 PM

Tropical Fruit Salad

Ingredients
•2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) mixed tropical fruit, drained
•1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
•1 medium banana, sliced
•1 cup miniature marshmallows
•1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) vanilla yogurt
•1/4 cup flaked coconut
•1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

Directions
•In a large salad bowl, combine the tropical fruit, oranges, banana
and marshmallows. Add yogurt; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with
coconut and almonds. Refrigerate until serving

pepper73 March 12th, 2012 05:27 PM

I am going to dream about that salad until I make it to the store and can get the ingredients! That sounds like something I could eat all day long!! I have decided that I need to print out all of your recipes and put them in a binder so I can have my own Melissa's Cookbook! :)

EJsMommy March 24th, 2012 05:48 PM

For those here that like seafood especially rainbow trout:
for two:
Rainbow trout filet with wilted spinach
Turn on oven to 425 degrees (farenheit)
2 boneless rainbow trout filet
On a foil covered cooking sheet put the filets
Sprinkle with olive oil and lemon juice (the amount is to your liking)
season with salt and pepper

Before you put the fish in the oven do this:
Rinse a good amount of spinach that would fill a big 2-3 qt pot
cover the bottom of the pot with olive oil
put in the spinach
put burner on medium heat
after a short time turn the heat down to low
Put the trout into the oven for about 8 min or until flaky when touch with a fork

Create a fresh salad of your choice.
You can substitute the wilted spinach for spinach and strawberry salad as a summer meal.

pepper73 March 25th, 2012 04:27 AM

Lovisa, that sounds DELICIOUS!! Thank you for sharing!!