JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   UK and Ireland Mummies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f148-uk-and-ireland-mummies/)
-   -   Cheapest supermarket? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f148-uk-and-ireland-mummies/2558084-cheapest-supermarket.html)

Carwen*Angel August 6th, 2012 10:12 AM

Cheapest supermarket?

We've been using Tesco for ages thinking it was the cheapest, but the last 2 times we've shopped we've found it's really gone up somehow.

So today we tried Sainsbury's and honestly for the same sorts and amounts of stuff (we never need EXACTLY the same each time but it sort of balances itself out) it was a good 50 cheaper.

Anyone else found they go round in circles like this? One will be cheapest at one point, then blink and another one has managed to undercut them. :rolleyes: Wish I knew the secret formula to knowing which one to use on any one day without losing out for a shop or two first. :rolleyes:

PrincessLou79 August 6th, 2012 10:54 AM

Re: Cheapest supermarket?

I have always found Tesco to be expensive and very rarely shop there unless they happen to have a really good deal on. Most of the time I shop at Sainsburys, Asda and Aldi if I'm trying to keep my shopping bill really low.

sarah* August 6th, 2012 12:54 PM

Asda is where we do our shopping, i just did a shop 120 and we got LOADS that will last us a good 2-3 weeks :)

Fae*Aibell August 6th, 2012 01:37 PM

It always amazes me how much more expensive the groceries over here are. We spend on average €140 a week on groceries,(€140 is roughly 110) more if its a week that i need nappies for Amelia. And we don't get a whole lot for that to be honest. I shop in Tesco some weeks, then Dunnes stores or Lidl or Aldi. Cheapest ive come in at is around €120 in Lidl.

ETanny August 6th, 2012 02:27 PM

We used to go to tesco but have swapped to asda. I prefer it now tbh. Even their own 'chosen by you' brand is 8/10 times better then the named stuff!
I don't buy pampers very often anymore as the little angle nappies are alright.

Jaidynsmum August 6th, 2012 04:27 PM

Sainsburys is a 2 minute drive from me (I can see it from my kitchen window!) so I shop there. I go to Aldi once a month and M&S a couple of times a month (DH works there so we get a 20% discount, so it can make stuff cheaper than anywhere else)
Ever since Sainsburys started the price comparison with Tesco and Asda I've never had a money off coupon, always save money!

LindsayMom09 August 7th, 2012 01:56 PM

I mostly shop in Asda because I find it cheaper. I do prefer some Tescos products though.. I guess I just alternate between them both.