JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   unassisted birth stories (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f361-unassisted-birth-stories/)
-   -   The Unassisted homebirth of Quantum Michael (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f361-unassisted-birth-stories/706767-unassisted-homebirth-quantum-michael.html)

just_be August 28th, 2007 10:37 AM

Where do I begin? I guess I'll start with why I decided to have an unassisted birth. Last February (a few months before I got pregnant) I started researching hospitals/doctors in the area when I randomly came across www.unassistedchildbirth.com. My intuition told me that this was right for me. I immediately felt very comfortable with the idea that birth is a natural, normal process that if left to its own devices will much more often than not go smoothly. I've always trusted my body very deeply, so it makes perfect sense to me that if a woman's body knows how to grow a baby then it will also know how to birth it. Medical intervention seemed to be a bother (to say the least) for such an intense, amazing experience. Having a midwife was slightly appealing, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to completely let go of my inhibitions if I had one around.
After I got pregnant in April, I started reading as much as I could about the nature of birth including inspiring birth stories that made me trust even more that my body knew what to do. My husband and I also prepared for any and all complications that could arise and had a back-up plan in case we couldn't handle whatever might come up.
On Wednesday, January 3rd, I had a feeling that tonight might be the night due to having strong contractions off and on for a few days prior and also the fact that it was a full moon. My instincts were right for at about 5:30 PM they started up again. They were pretty much like how they had been the past few days (a low crampy feeling in my front and back), so it wasn't until a few hours later that I started thinking this might really be it. My husband and I put in a movie and we started timing the contractions. For awhile they were averaging about 7 minutes apart and slowly picking up intensity. I was still able to talk and breathe pretty easily through them (and watch the movie), so I still wasn't sure if I was really going to give birth or not. During the latter half of the movie (it was around 10/10:30 at this point) they started getting closer together and stronger. Now I had to concentrate on my breathing and consciously allow the waves of intensity to come. That's a great way to describe them: waves of intensity for they didn't exactly hurt nor were they were particularly pleasurable.
At 11 I had some bloody show, so there was no mistaking it now...this was definitely it!! Between about 11 and midnight they were still about how they were during the latter half of the movie...pretty intense but definitely manageable. At midnight I started feeling sleepy since that's when I normally go to bed, so my husband and I went and laid down in the bedroom. We had already set up the area next to the bed with an old shower curtain, several blankets and towels. My sweet husband put his hand on mine as the waves came stronger and stronger. It felt natural to moan deeply through them...it wasn't a conscious thing, really, the moans felt like an involuntary response to what my body was doing. As the waves got stronger, so did the moans...what started out as a nice, gentle noise slowly evolved into deep, animal-like bellows at the end of labor. Being so wrapped up into myself (and also not having anyone around but my husband) I didn't feel the least bit self-conscious about them.
I moved onto the floor at around 12:30 or so (I wasn't exactly staring at the clock at this point) I moved to the floor. Chris brought me a chair to lean on as squatted/kneeled in front of it. Now is where the fun really began :-P The waves were coming about a minute apart (maybe less), they lasted what felt like eons with a distinct peek in the middle of each one. Trusting my body deeply, I knew it was doing what it needed to do even though I didn't particularly like it. I didn't hate it, either...it's hard to describe. I guess a good way to describe it would be I was completely immersed in the process...there really was no separation between the "two" of us. I could feel my cervix expanding pretty rapidly now, so I knew the moment had to be pretty near. Now the waves were taking over my body to the point where I felt like I might not be able to go on...I knew then that I was at transition. They welled up fiercely inside me and crashed down against my cervix. I could feel the head starting to push down as the waves crashed, which was the first time I felt any real pain. Now with the deep, bellowing moans came "Owww!!" at the end of each one. I decided to lay on my side, propped up on one arm with one leg in the air (what a site that must have been lol).
As the head made it's way into the birth canal I felt like my body was opening up. My cervix screamed at me with a burning sensation, and I seriously wondered if my vaginal canal was splitting into two. Now the head was coming out...between waves I asked my husband what he could see and he said the head was crowning. "Thank God!!" I thought as the next wave pushed the head out...once again I wondered if I was being ripped open but knew instinctively that everything was okay (there were also female spirits around who would tell me from time to time that I was doing great and the baby would be out soon...I like to think of them as birth angels) :) The body soon followed as our little miracle literally squirted out onto the towels. My husband had planned on catching him, but he came out so fast that he didn't have a chance. This sensation felt like a big, slimy fish shooting out of me.
We both looked down at our baby...for a split second neither of us were aware of what just happened and then suddenly something clicked inside of us and we both reached for the baby. My husband excitedly declared that it's a boy as I pulled him close to me. I really can't describe how I felt at that moment...elation is too small of a word. I can say this, though...it was definitely love at first sight. I keep falling more and more in love with him, too. By the way, I didn't tear at all and everything after the birth went well. As a side note, I don't believe unassisted birth is for everyone...one must trust VERY deeply in their bodies and the birth process.
So there you have it...I hope you enjoyed reading the birth story of Quantum Michael :)

This was the only picture that was taken (seconds after giving birth):

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...m/100_1169.jpg

Isaeph August 29th, 2007 11:12 AM

Wow, that was beautiful! It gave me chills.

MrsPil August 30th, 2007 01:16 AM

Absolutely lovely! I adore Laura's site the women there are so knowledgeable and supportive! What a wonderful birth story, thank you for sharing it!

mikeys_mommy1_2006 September 24th, 2007 09:21 PM

Quote:

Where do I begin? I guess I'll start with why I decided to have an unassisted birth. Last February (a few months before I got pregnant) I started researching hospitals/doctors in the area when I randomly came across www.unassistedchildbirth.com. My intuition told me that this was right for me. I immediately felt very comfortable with the idea that birth is a natural, normal process that if left to its own devices will much more often than not go smoothly. I've always trusted my body very deeply, so it makes perfect sense to me that if a woman's body knows how to grow a baby then it will also know how to birth it. Medical intervention seemed to be a bother (to say the least) for such an intense, amazing experience. Having a midwife was slightly appealing, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to completely let go of my inhibitions if I had one around.
After I got pregnant in April, I started reading as much as I could about the nature of birth including inspiring birth stories that made me trust even more that my body knew what to do. My husband and I also prepared for any and all complications that could arise and had a back-up plan in case we couldn't handle whatever might come up.
On Wednesday, January 3rd, I had a feeling that tonight might be the night due to having strong contractions off and on for a few days prior and also the fact that it was a full moon. My instincts were right for at about 5:30 PM they started up again. They were pretty much like how they had been the past few days (a low crampy feeling in my front and back), so it wasn't until a few hours later that I started thinking this might really be it. My husband and I put in a movie and we started timing the contractions. For awhile they were averaging about 7 minutes apart and slowly picking up intensity. I was still able to talk and breathe pretty easily through them (and watch the movie), so I still wasn't sure if I was really going to give birth or not. During the latter half of the movie (it was around 10/10:30 at this point) they started getting closer together and stronger. Now I had to concentrate on my breathing and consciously allow the waves of intensity to come. That's a great way to describe them: waves of intensity for they didn't exactly hurt nor were they were particularly pleasurable.
At 11 I had some bloody show, so there was no mistaking it now...this was definitely it!! Between about 11 and midnight they were still about how they were during the latter half of the movie...pretty intense but definitely manageable. At midnight I started feeling sleepy since that's when I normally go to bed, so my husband and I went and laid down in the bedroom. We had already set up the area next to the bed with an old shower curtain, several blankets and towels. My sweet husband put his hand on mine as the waves came stronger and stronger. It felt natural to moan deeply through them...it wasn't a conscious thing, really, the moans felt like an involuntary response to what my body was doing. As the waves got stronger, so did the moans...what started out as a nice, gentle noise slowly evolved into deep, animal-like bellows at the end of labor. Being so wrapped up into myself (and also not having anyone around but my husband) I didn't feel the least bit self-conscious about them.
I moved onto the floor at around 12:30 or so (I wasn't exactly staring at the clock at this point) I moved to the floor. Chris brought me a chair to lean on as squatted/kneeled in front of it. Now is where the fun really began :-P The waves were coming about a minute apart (maybe less), they lasted what felt like eons with a distinct peek in the middle of each one. Trusting my body deeply, I knew it was doing what it needed to do even though I didn't particularly like it. I didn't hate it, either...it's hard to describe. I guess a good way to describe it would be I was completely immersed in the process...there really was no separation between the "two" of us. I could feel my cervix expanding pretty rapidly now, so I knew the moment had to be pretty near. Now the waves were taking over my body to the point where I felt like I might not be able to go on...I knew then that I was at transition. They welled up fiercely inside me and crashed down against my cervix. I could feel the head starting to push down as the waves crashed, which was the first time I felt any real pain. Now with the deep, bellowing moans came "Owww!!" at the end of each one. I decided to lay on my side, propped up on one arm with one leg in the air (what a site that must have been lol).
As the head made it's way into the birth canal I felt like my body was opening up. My cervix screamed at me with a burning sensation, and I seriously wondered if my vaginal canal was splitting into two. Now the head was coming out...between waves I asked my husband what he could see and he said the head was crowning. "Thank God!!" I thought as the next wave pushed the head out...once again I wondered if I was being ripped open but knew instinctively that everything was okay (there were also female spirits around who would tell me from time to time that I was doing great and the baby would be out soon...I like to think of them as birth angels) :) The body soon followed as our little miracle literally squirted out onto the towels. My husband had planned on catching him, but he came out so fast that he didn't have a chance. This sensation felt like a big, slimy fish shooting out of me.
We both looked down at our baby...for a split second neither of us were aware of what just happened and then suddenly something clicked inside of us and we both reached for the baby. My husband excitedly declared that it's a boy as I pulled him close to me. I really can't describe how I felt at that moment...elation is too small of a word. I can say this, though...it was definitely love at first sight. I keep falling more and more in love with him, too. By the way, I didn't tear at all and everything after the birth went well. As a side note, I don't believe unassisted birth is for everyone...one must trust VERY deeply in their bodies and the birth process.
So there you have it...I hope you enjoyed reading the birth story of Quantum Michael :)

This was the only picture that was taken (seconds after giving birth):

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...m/100_1169.jpg[/b]
That was a great story.

Melamma January 8th, 2008 04:17 PM

That was an incredible story!! Than you so much for sharing that. And that picture just made me cry. It is so beautiful!!! Thats the kind of picture I want taken. Well i want tons taken...lol

justjaQ October 6th, 2008 08:45 PM

wonderful story. thank you for sharing. :wub:

naturalmelly December 1st, 2009 09:12 AM

Re: The Unassisted homebirth of Quantum Michael

Thanks for sharing!!