JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   unassisted birth stories (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f361-unassisted-birth-stories/)
-   -   the birth of Mary Mae (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f361-unassisted-birth-stories/739010-birth-mary-mae.html)

jhmomofmany September 21st, 2007 10:22 AM

At about 11:00 Tuesday night I began having regular contractions. They were lasting only about 30-45 seconds and came with a lot of bottom pressure, they were 15 minutes apart and didn’t feel particularly strong. So, we went to bed. I had to get right back up to use the bathroom, and decided to sleep on the couch so I wouldn’t be waking Chuck up every time I needed to get up. I slept very well in between bathroom trips.

Sometime after 3:00 I had a loose b.m. and bloody show. I called my midwife and let her know; she said she would get her things together, and to call her back when the contractions were five minutes apart. I woke up Chuck and we timed the next few contractions; we realized they were already coming two to three minutes apart! Chuck called the midwife, then I went back to the bathroom. This was about 4:00. When I had a few contractions one after another, Chuck told me I better get off the toilet. He got some things out of the bathroom while I went back to our bedroom. I didn’t want to get on the bed, so I put some pads down on the floor at the foot of the bed. I had my first “pushy” contraction standing over the pads. I was very hot all of a sudden so I stripped off my nightshirt. I went down on my knees, supporting myself with my arms against the bed.

I told Chuck that I was feeling like pushing, and he told me he knew and it was okay. He started to massage my perineum with almond oil as my bag of water bulged and then broke. With the next contraction, baby began to crown. After that contraction ended, though, she slipped back up! That hurt, but it made me laugh, and I said, “That’s the wrong way!” She crowned again during the next contraction and her head was delivered. While I pushed with the next contraction, he noticed the cord was wrapped once around her neck and that there was a knot in it. I think that scared him because he told me to “hurry and push”. So I did. With that fourth push, she was born!

Chuck passed her to me, and I said, “It’s a girl!” I’m not sure if she cried louder or if I did, and we knew she was just fine from her color and her volume. We forgot to have a towel handy, so we used a couple of cloth diapers to wipe her off. We named her, and then Chuck gave her an anointing and his blessing. He took her first picture. Then we realized we didn’t look at the time when she was born! When I reminded him that the clock in our room was probably wrong anyway, Chuck said that 4:23 was good enough. He helped me stand up; I delivered the placenta, and he clamped and cut her cord. At about 4:40 the midwife called to let us know she was almost there, and I could hear her laugh over the phone when Chuck said the baby had already been born.

By the time they arrived, I was already somewhat cleaned up and sitting in bed, giving Mary her first feeding. Mary and I both checked out perfectly. The midwife asked to keep the placenta, because true knots in the cord are so rare. She told us that they can only be formed early in pregnancy, while Baby still has lots of room to move. We are very thankful that it never pulled tight, even during delivery. God was certainly looking out for our little girl.

~Jess~ September 21st, 2007 03:50 PM

What an amazing birth story, Jennifer. It sounds like it was a truly beautiful experience. Congrats!

LadyCoconut September 21st, 2007 05:02 PM

Just popping in... I saw the pic of Miss Mary Mae in you siggy on the debates board and had to read the birth story! Your little girl is absolutely PERFECT! Too precious! I really enjoyed reading your birth story! Thanks for sharing!

LJD3Tdance September 21st, 2007 11:57 PM

Congratulations!

mommyinky September 22nd, 2007 01:01 PM

What an AMAZING story! Congratulations again!

Mommy2Amara&Kayori September 24th, 2007 11:52 AM

congrats

rose198172 September 24th, 2007 08:24 PM

Popping over from the Debate boards... congratulations!! :smile:

~Faith~ September 25th, 2007 05:48 PM

What an inspiring birth story, Jennifer! She is absolutely beautiful. God bless you all. :inlove:

~April~ September 25th, 2007 06:37 PM

Such a beautiful birth story!

Shery September 26th, 2007 05:48 AM

What an amazing man you have...wow! Wow! What a beautiful birth story! God was surely looking out for sweet little Mary. She is a beautiful baby!

mom of 3 boys September 28th, 2007 08:01 PM

What a sweet baby!!!! Congratulations!!!!! September 19th is a lucky day. It is also my birthday and 19 has always been my lucky number!!!!

beesgirl October 13th, 2007 02:44 PM

what a beautiful birth story! thanks for sharing! God was definitely watching over your little one! God bless you all!

lttle_one October 13th, 2007 03:42 PM

I saw your siggy on the Debate boards so I hopped over to read. What a beautiful birth story!

LaurensBby October 22nd, 2007 08:03 AM

Wow, you make giving birth sound so easy and what a great support your husband was. Your daughter will love hearing her birth story someday! Congratulations.

DenBic March 14th, 2008 05:08 AM

Wow, what a quick amazing birth!
Congrats on your newest LO, though she's been here awhile! ;)
Thanks for sharing!

justjaQ October 6th, 2008 08:01 PM

what a lovely story. i'm so glad things worked out so well, especially with that cord knot.
great job!!