JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Unplanned Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/)
-   -   any ideas how to prevent bloody gums? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/150727-any-ideas-how-to-prevent-bloody-gums.html)

pregnantandscared February 12th, 2006 10:42 AM

so i am 22 wks preggers and it sems like every time i brush my teeth they bleed more and more. i cant stand it!! it tastes so nasty and looks like i just into a huge fight and got some teeth knocked out. my stomach turns everytime i think about it. it is making it so i dont want to brush my teeth (but thats just gross and bad hygene is bad for the pregnancy or so i've heard) any suggestions?

JuneBug2006 February 12th, 2006 10:55 AM

Very typical for this happening at the 22 week stage!

I am just shy of 22 weeks (tomorrow) and this has been happening for about a week now....
I don't think there is any way to prevent it.....

pregnantandscared February 12th, 2006 10:57 AM

WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA i hate it! thanks though

jennyn February 12th, 2006 11:04 AM

yep it's normal and very gross. . .I can't brush my teeth if my little girl is in the room anymore because it freaks her out so bad. when i was pregnant with her i got told to buy a softer toothbrush and brush one extra time per day but that only made it worse. but it is true that bad oral hygeine can cause preterm labor and we all know that is never a good thing so i guess we just gotta suck it up. . . ick.

Ella! February 12th, 2006 11:41 AM

My gums are just starting to bleed a little. I just brush softer.. doesnt seem to really help though!

momie2006 February 12th, 2006 06:17 PM

Actually, mine has been for my whole pregnancy!!!! I floss too!!! My dentist just said that it is something that happens... keep flosssing, but know you are not alone:( They look so swollen in the morning it's terrible!!! All I can do is thank my little girl in my tummy.....lol

MyGirlz February 13th, 2006 05:44 PM

My gums have been bleeding pretty much my whole pregnancy! Talk about EW! And how imbarassing when you're brushing your teeth in front of your hunny!! The first few times it happened, I was like "Honey, I SWEAR I don't have a gum disease!! It's pregnancy related!!"

What I'm doing now is brushing the way they teach you in school when you're like 6 or whatever! It takes a lot longer but I've found it helps. Instead of brushing sideways, I brush downward on my top teeth, and upward on my bottom teeth. I do it gently but thoroughly and always brush my tongue last because that's where most of the yucky bacteria is and if you brush your teeth after your tongue you're just spreading around the yuckies and maybe making it worse!

Hope this helps!! It helps me!