JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Unplanned Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/)
-   -   Continuing college(or work) and pregnant - how did you manage? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/2318948-continuing-college-work-and-pregnant-how-did-you-manage.html)

KevAnnie May 3rd, 2011 08:38 PM

Continuing college(or work) and pregnant - how did you manage?

What did you guys decide to do to make things work out for you and the baby?

I am happy I'm going to have a baby, I am just worrying what am I going to do when I have to finish college-on time. I will be taking care of the baby for at least a year at home I might take care of the baby while I finish in 2 years. My guy works a lot and he's thinking he might get another job to support us I don't know I'm just thinking a lot right now :frown: I feel lost. what are the options to handle this, how did you manage? .....

.....thank you :)

Mischief Managed May 4th, 2011 05:21 PM

Re: Continuing college(or work) and pregnant - how did you manage?

I am a full time student and FTM. I plan on continueing my college, but being a SAHM. We havn't decided officially on what we will do yet, but I will either take night classes or online classes. I prefer online classes. Many universities allow night classes. My classes are only two days a week, so it wouldn't be that difficult. DH would work as usual and take care of the kiddo while I go to school for a short period of time. Of course I may have to take less credit hours per semester - but I can handle that! (I am taking off until next Spring semester begins... I attended this years fall and spring. I was thinking of attending fall but baby is due in end july possibly early Aug and I don't want to have to miss a bunch of classes while he is being born)
It is def possible, you just have to stay strong! I suggest not attending school the semester your baby is due though. That may be a little too crazy. I know I missed two days of school this year for my wedding and I regret it so much! (It was days I didn't have to miss, but I did so I could spend time with my bridesmaids) It is hard to miss a class and make up for it.

Amelya May 18th, 2011 08:58 PM

I am in my 3rd year of college and 24 so my situation may be a little different but... Between financial aid, and student loans that gives me 14,000 a year to work with. Tuition costs might be around 6,000 per year pending i do not go to summer classes. Now my boyfriend is in the Army so being a SAHM is an option for me but all my course work for the moment has to be online since I am due early December in the middle of the semester. The University I attend allows students to take up to 18 hours but i am taking the minimum of 12 with baby and ill go to summer school next year to stay on track. Also alot of colleges have child care while your in class, but also family dorms to live in that are kid friendly.
Non -traditional colleges are very understanding that we are adults with our own lives so they have great options and support systems for you.

everafter May 19th, 2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevAnnie (Post 23807992)
What did you guys decide to do to make things work out for you and the baby?

I am happy I'm going to have a baby, I am just worrying what am I going to do when I have to finish college-on time. I will be taking care of the baby for at least a year at home I might take care of the baby while I finish in 2 years. My guy works a lot and he's thinking he might get another job to support us I don't know I'm just thinking a lot right now :frown: I feel lost. what are the options to handle this, how did you manage? .....

.....thank you :)

I work full time, have two kids (and an ex-h) to take care of, go to college online (which means no time off between classes) and am expecting a baby in Dec/Jan 2011/2012.....

I have no idea how I'm going to manage since the fatigue is already killing me and I want to sleep all the time (of course that's impossible) ........

I'm really scared but no matter what....I'll manage somehow....I might not be a straight A student in the end, but I'll make sure I graduate !!!!!!!!!!!

dlnkcmommy May 20th, 2011 05:57 PM

I work fulltime. I was working 2 jobs, now I work one only due to complications with the pregnancy. My SO works fulltime as well. I go to school online so having the baby wont interfere too much with schooling.

Asdel May 22nd, 2011 01:37 PM

Best of luck to you all :)

missy123 May 24th, 2011 09:44 PM

I left my ex-husband when my youngest was only a few months old and I raised 3 boys on my own for 14 years. I always worked at least 1 full time job, and sometimes had to pick up a part time job as well. My boys are very well rounded, have excellent manners and really respect how hard I worked to provide for them.

You can be a mom and still do whatever you want to! :)

ashtonsmomtobe May 27th, 2011 03:37 PM

I never have planned college before or after I got pregnant. I plan to work at my job and hopefully get assistance with daycare at some point if not I can live off my own disability income. It's just I hope my mom can agree til late june because that's when I turn 18. So yea.....

kara1110 June 1st, 2011 08:58 PM

One day at a time! I recently quit my full time job to be a SAHM (to 2 un-planned kids!) and full time college student. I pick up some contract work online off and on (there are legit places!!) when things get tight and my husband works full time.

Sweetpgrl8 June 5th, 2011 10:02 PM

I was in college and worked 35 hrs a week while preggo with my first one....I spoke to my advisor ahead of time (at the beginning of the semester) to let her know I would be on a maternity leave..they worked out that I could make up my work and complete my internship hours I would miss..they were really liberal with it..hopefully you are amongst supportive employers/professors/employees who will have your back

I am a working single mama, about to start my masters program this fall..I was thinking to myself what if my IUD fails at some point during the next three years..it would not be good timing!:eek: