JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Unplanned Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/)
-   -   Heavy Drinking Before I Knew I Was Pregnant - Please, Need Advice (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/2628864-heavy-drinking-before-i-knew-i-pregnant-please-need-advice.html)

Scared Mom to Be February 24th, 2013 02:23 PM

Heavy Drinking Before I Knew I Was Pregnant - Please, Need Advice

I tried posting this in the general pregnancy question section, but given my situation, I think it might be better suited here.

I am driving myself crazy here. I did not know I was pregnant. I was not trying to conceive but was clearly not being as responsible as I should have been.

I had a wild weekend. I drank two bottles of wine by myself in one night, then I had 3 drinks the next night, and 4 drinks the next night.

I should have started my period on Monday, and when I realized it had not happened, I took a pregnancy test. It was positive.

I have been to the doctor, and it was confirmed that I was exactly 4 weeks pregnant when I had my binge drinking episode.

Please, has anyone else been through this? Did you keep the baby? I am so scared and have no idea what to do.

When I ask the doctor about the risk, I am told that we might be fine but that there is an un-quantifiable risk of serious damage to the child.

mamatomany February 24th, 2013 04:22 PM

Re: Heavy Drinking Before I Knew I Was Pregnant - Please, Need Advice

I have not been through this, but every pregnancy book I've ever read says not to worry about what you did before you found out you were pregnant because those two weeks aren't a big deal. The most important thing now is to make sure you get on good prenatals -- I'm hoping you already were on some since you were trying to conceive -- and no more drinks for now.

Don't stress about it, I know other girls have been in this situation and it's turned out fine. Focus instead on eating and living healthy now. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

ElliotsMommy13 February 24th, 2013 07:48 PM

I would think you are fine.. At 4 weeks pregnant the major organs have not really started forming yet. It is more dangerous after 4 weeks from everything I have read and heard. Congrats on the pregnancy. You might be scared now.. but when you see the first ultrasounds and hear the heartbeat, its so amazing.

left_field February 24th, 2013 08:05 PM

Yes, start a good prenatal and make good choices here on out. Good luck.

jennica06 April 4th, 2013 11:53 PM

well i was a bout a month pregnant to and b4 i found out i was drinking to but my son came out health and is growing up pretty well now so i suggest now that u knw start eating healthy to make up for all he drinking u did and take the vitamins as well

rheaimedved April 6th, 2013 09:54 PM

FAS and FA spectrum disorder don't come from one or two episodes of heavy drinking. While there are widely varying opinions on how much alcohol consumption affects a fetus and the outcome, it's generally agreed that FAS requires relatively heavy drinking. "An analysis of seven medical research studies involving over 130,000 pregnancies found that consuming two to 14 drinks per week did not significantly increase the risk of giving birth to a child with either malformations or fetal alcohol syndrome." (Polygenis, D., et al. Moderate alcohol consumption during pregnancy and the incidence of fetal malformations: a meta-analysis. Neurotoxicol Teralol., 1998, 20, 61–67). The odds are heavily in favor of a normal, healthy baby.

Focus on taking pre-natal vitamins (folic acid is REALLY important in the first trimester to avoid neural tube defects), eating healthy, and exercising and things will be fine with the baby.

bajars2531 April 10th, 2013 10:54 AM

Your baby is fine!! I did (too many) shots of tequila 2 days before I found out I was pregnant. My son is a happy, healthy, super smart 19 month old. Stop stressing--it's ridiculous how much fear the medical society puts onto women. The placenta doesn't attach itself to the mother's body until around 10 weeks. FAS is tested only in women who drink heavily throughout their entire pregnancy--because you can't study it any other way. To err on the side of caution medical professionals here just tell you not to drink. Take your prenatals eat a balanced, heavy in organic veggies diet and relax. All is well with your baby.

Loving6 April 10th, 2013 07:56 PM

Your baby will be fine. It would be different if you drinked the entire first trimester. Congratulations and relax and enjoy your pregnancy.