JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Unplanned Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/)
-   -   How do I tell my dad? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/2639293-how-do-i-tell-my-dad.html)

AquariusRising March 31st, 2013 11:35 AM

How do I tell my dad?

I just found out a few days ago that I'm pregnant. This wasn't planned, but after the initial shock my boyfriend and I both found ourselves to be thrilled. We feel as though we have a good reason to work harder, to get our own place, and to grow up, when before we never had a good enough reason to settle down.

The sad part is that I'm 25 and I'm terrified to tell my own father. I've always been a daddy's girl and reluctant to tell him anything pertaining to my growing up; even the topic of moving out has been a sore topic. How can I tell him that my boyfriend is here to stay, when no guy has ever nor will ever be good enough for his little girl? How do I tell him that I am moving out with said boyfriend and we're going to be raising a child together? My dad is Catholic, very Catholic, which is why a part of him will be happy that abortion was never considered. But I from his viewpoints as Catholic and as a father, how do I tell my dad that his little girl will be having a little boy or girl of her own?

MIL2lissy8 March 31st, 2013 02:20 PM

Re: How do I tell my dad?

'dad, i know that this will be hard for you to accept at first, but i wanted you to know that ____ and i are going to be having a baby in (month). we plan to live together and raise your grandchild ni the best manner we can. we wanted to share our joy with you right away so you can be excited to be a grandpa. oh and yes, dad, before you ask, we do plan to marry and stay together to make a solid family for this little baby'.

how does that sound? having been on both sides of the coin, i can tell you that he will get over it and love the baby.

Kelizah April 3rd, 2013 06:11 AM

Im 24 and my husband is 27.. we've been together for 7 years, married for 5. we weren't planning on babies for another 2 years. (we still wanted to buy a house, etc.) and telling my dad I was pregnant was so hard.. still! I am also a huge daddy's girl. I'm the wayyyy youngest of 4 (closest sibling is 12 years older than me) and my mom passed when I was 13 so it's been just me and him for so long. BUT.. it wasnt as hard when I actually told him. We're catholic also, and he said he was very happy for us. scared because of the unknowns pregnancy and babies can bring but still happy. he's your dad, he loves you.. he doesn't want you stressed over what HE feels.. it's about how YOU feel.. good luck with telling him, but try not to be nervous... daddy's girls usually have them wrapped around our fingers ;)

Laurentina April 12th, 2013 05:29 AM

I think that you are old enough to have your own family. If you and your man are happy about the idea to have a baby so I don't see what is the problem. Other issues have no power to ruin this for you. So just be brave and go and talk to your father directly. I am sure he will understand. Wish you luck!

Seasaidh April 14th, 2013 10:40 PM

At 25, it's just a part of life. People are strong and resilient and they learn and adapt and grow better than we give them credit for.

Bite the bullet, be brave and gentle and factual and respectful. He will be okay, and when he meets his grandchild, he will be much better than okay.

ElliotsMommy13 April 17th, 2013 08:17 PM

You will be just fine. I am 24 and dont have a boyfriend. I told my mom and was nervous how to tell my dad.. luckily my mom spilled even though she said she wouldnt.. Well, surprisingly he's kinda excited. Things will work out and you will be just fine. Good Luck Mama!