JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Unplanned Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/)
-   -   Just found out Im pregnant, no health insurance, where do I go from here? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/2661281-just-found-out-im-pregnant-no-health-insurance-where-do-i-go-here.html)

laurenr4261 June 25th, 2013 08:32 AM

Just found out Im pregnant, no health insurance, where do I go from here?

Please help!
I wasnt trying to get pregnant. But my fiance and I got careless one day, and well, now we're expecting. Im feeling totally confident about this. Except for one HUGE problem. I have no health insurance, and I havent seen a doctor except at a clinic to confirm pregnancy.
If anyone has any ideas on how I go about getting insurance, or how to see a doctor without it (up until 2 years ago I was under Tricare my whole life, so I have no clue how it works seeing a doctor with no insurance). :confused:

girlsofsummer June 25th, 2013 12:09 PM

Re: Just found out Im pregnant, no health insurance, where do I go from here?

Congratulations to you! Most (if not all?) states have health care programs for women. I'd start Googling your state and health insurance for women. Or you can probably call a state reps office, or even the clinic that you went to. Sometimes it's listed in the phone book (although that's the old fashioned way ;) )

If not, and in the meantime, I would think you could go to a Planned Parenthood and they could help. They likely would even be able to tell you how to go about getting insurance from your state.

laurenr4261 June 25th, 2013 01:59 PM

Thanks. I called Planned Parenthood and they said they could help me apply for pregnancy Medicaid. And I asked if they could help me with advice on how to take care of myself and baby in the meantime and she said "we don't deal with pregnant patients here" and that totally blew my mind.

mamatomany June 25th, 2013 07:40 PM

You got some great advice on getting health care! I also think you should call a crisis pregnancy center in your area. They usually can give a free ultrasound, and often have other things to offer and Love helping pregnant moms! It's so much fun to get that first early glimpse of your baby if you can. Congratulations!

MIL2lissy8 June 25th, 2013 08:03 PM

planned parenthood is NOT about birthing babies~~ they get rid of them!! that said, congrats! i hope you can get the medicaid - i am pretty positive you will. buy some prenatal vitamins and take them; they are sold over the counter. eat right, rest, drink lots of fluids, don't drink or smoke or do drugs and wean off caffeine if you drink it. your gonna be fine!!!!

laurenr4261 June 25th, 2013 10:35 PM

Thanks for the awesome advice. I just really want to get to a doctor and hear my babies heart beat. And I'm also confused about the whole due date figuring. I'm just going to have a busy few days trying to get this all straightened out. I will NOT be speaking to or going into a Planned Parenthood again. I know they do abortions, but the fact that I'm keeping my baby is no reason to be rude to me.

Squeaky Shark July 28th, 2013 10:15 PM

I'm in the same situation. I went to planned parenthood for my ultrasound, and they were very polite and good with me even though they knew I was keeping the baby. They are helping me hook up with doctors and programs for prenatal care.

igotakid July 30th, 2013 11:55 AM

Apply for state assistance. You should be able to go to the health department or social services. Just tell them you are pregnant and don't have insurance and they will help you.

MerinSun July 30th, 2013 01:58 PM

I'm not a fan of Planned Parenthood but I do think it's odd that the person on the phone was so rude and unhelpful. I would try to call back and speak to the supervisor. Perhaps this person was undertrained or something. I've always been under the impression that PP does assist pregnant women. Maybe it's only a few clinics?

Myopia July 30th, 2013 09:40 PM

Dont forget to apply for WIC.

All the best. Most OBs w0nt see you until you are about 8 weeks anyways.

OatmealKisses August 10th, 2013 07:15 AM

There should be other programs in your area, if you are not in a rural area, besides medicaid, WIC, PP, and pregnancy crisis center. Where I live there are some churches that help you with getting necessities for yourself and baby; like maternity clothes, crib, baby clothes, etc...There are some times places that will give you a free car seat and show you how to properly install it in your car. WIC, pregnancy crisis center, and your local hospital are all good places to ask about these local community programs.