JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Unplanned Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/)
-   -   42 days since last period... need help :( (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/2700924-42-days-since-last-period-need-help.html)

JTJ_FDL December 31st, 2013 06:08 PM

42 days since last period... need help :(

Hi I'm new here. 20 yrs old... I'm delayed on my period, but not trying to conceive...

My last period was on Nov 20-23 (4 days). I had sex with my bf on the 25th (2 days after my period). We only do it during the safe days(before and after period), withdrawal method.

Today is the 42nd day since my last period. HPT this morning was negative, and
also on December 27th was negative...

I also had really bad stomach cramps this morning, and last night I felt my
breasts were full and when I peed I felt "like I would have it" but it didn't
come out.

I have a regular cycle but it keeps on getting longer.

june 10 - 27 days
july 7 - 29 days
august 5 - 35 days
sept 9 - 34 days
october 13 - 38 days
november 20 -?

I am wondering if I am irregular again since there was a time that I didn't have
period for 3 months and became irregular -OR- am I getting preggy? We are
planning to get tested this coming Saturday in a facility if I still won't get
my period by Friday (45th day)

Would like to hear some thoughts/opinion with my situation, thanks

mamatomany January 1st, 2014 12:36 AM

Re: 42 days since last period... need help :(

If you only had sex two days after your period it is very, very unlikely that you are pregnant. I would schedule a doctors appointment and get some blood tests done to see if there's a hormonal issue throwing your cycle out of whack.

JTJ_FDL January 1st, 2014 08:44 PM

yes that's what me and my bf are planning if I still don't have it by friday. I really had bad cramps this morning...

can anyone confirm if you can get pregnant when you have sex after period? I am not really so sure about this :(

MerinSun January 1st, 2014 10:12 PM

You can get pregnant at any time, even when ON your period. That's why the withdraw method has the highest failure rate of all forms of birth control. Many people who do withdraw also practice the rhythm method where the woman takes daily basal temps., tracks everything, etc. But your cycle MUST be regular for it to work at all, and even then it still has a higher failure rate than condoms, pills, etc.

Because your cycles are long and irregular (some women with long cycles can ovulate twice between periods, btw) you need to talk to your doctor about why that is happening and if hormonal BC can get it back on track. Until then, use condoms. If the cramping gets too awful or you develop a fever, go to the ER.

Edit: actually, see your doctor right away. You may have a UTI. That would explain the cramps and the urge to pee without anything happening.

JTJ_FDL January 2nd, 2014 01:19 AM

my cycle prior to this was actually regular, but seeing the trend, it's getting longer.

so you can actually ovulate twice without even knowing it?

MerinSun January 2nd, 2014 09:16 AM

Yup! It's rare, but has been known to happen. A woman can actually get pregnant by two different men during the same cycle that way. Again, rare, but known to happen. Pretty much, if you're fertile and your partner is fertile you can get pregnant at any time.

I would definitely get seen by your doctor today (if you haven't already made an appointment) for a possible UTI. You want to stay on top of that because it can spread to your bladder and kidneys pretty fast. I would also discuss with your doctor this new and sudden change in your cycles. It could be a lot of things, including just stress. But a woman's disrupted cycle can be a sign of other things.

If you do continue to use the withdraw method I strongly recommend that you pick up a few books about natural planning methods and join a support group. I will caution you that doing this will still leave you with greater odds of a pregnancy. Only continue the withdraw method/natural family planning if you are comfortable with the idea of getting pregnant in the next year or two. Some women can use these methods to avoid getting pregnant for a few years, but the majority of women do not see such high success rates. If you are not prepared for a pregnancy, I urge you to find a more statistically reliable method. There are a lot of different kinds to suit most women's needs :)

Hope that helps and good luck!

Rainbow Momma January 2nd, 2014 09:23 AM

i know longer periods is a sign of PCOS but i just had a cycle last 43 days out of the blue and got AF symptoms which are very similar to preggo symptoms at day 39. i say if the hpt came out neg at this point than you're prob just having a longer cycle.

JTJ_FDL January 4th, 2014 04:02 PM

just an update, I already had my period last thursday, january 2 (43rd day)

MerinSun January 5th, 2014 02:31 AM

That's good :-) but still do see your doctor.

JTJ_FDL January 5th, 2014 09:54 PM

does Stress contribute to having delayed periods? I think my cycle settled to 35-38 days since August. I remember we quarreled during the week I was supposed to have it (holiday season) if we follow a 35-day cycle. I think we quarreled 3x on a Tuesday, once on Wednesday and a little on Friday til Sunday during that week prior to posting here in the forums

jumpingoffplace January 6th, 2014 04:18 AM

Yes, stress can delay your period- as can a lot of other things. It's still a good idea to see your doctor since you're cycle has changed and that can mean a lot of other things too, besides stress.