JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Unplanned Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/)
-   -   question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/714335-question.html)

babydollz_676 September 3rd, 2007 12:25 PM

hi everyone,i'm a member of the nov 2006 playroom (although i hardly ever have time to pop in).i had my tubes tied after i had my 4th c-section in november and now i think i may be pregnant.my period since the tubal had been REALLY heavy up until june when it was really short and light and then july ....same thing .now i actually had all the signs of my period this month and then got a little spotting but never any further bleeding and it's been 4 days since i thought i got it.i have been having those vivid/weird pregnancy dreams and swollen ankles too.i just don't know what to think.i guess i'll get a test and see what happens.has anyone in here ever heard of this happening ?

Kalia20 September 3rd, 2007 12:45 PM

I asked my friends mother once if having her tubes tied worked cause she told me she had it done. She said, "well, ask Aaron and Matt". (not twins btw couple years apart) She had hers done three times. Thats all I can offer.

first_time_mom September 4th, 2007 04:20 AM

its very possible, but highly unlikely. if 1000 women get their tubes tied in a year, 2 will get pregnant.

Melanie. September 5th, 2007 04:12 AM

Haha, yeah go ask Aaron and Matt. :lol:

Your poor mother, she kept thinking she was done!

I have heard of people getting pregnant and even ttc after tubals. It does happen.

Kalia20 September 6th, 2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Haha, yeah go ask Aaron and Matt. :lol:

Your poor mother, she kept thinking she was done!

I have heard of people getting pregnant and even ttc after tubals. It does happen.[/b]

I thought that was funny too. I just wish she never said that in front of them. I dont know how I feel if I knew I was an "accident" :( That was also in the mid - late 80s so I'm sure that the procedure has been greatly improved since then.

momof3angels77 September 20th, 2007 04:21 AM

I had my tubes tied when my 3rd child was born in Aug 04. We found out I was preg again on 12/31/06.

colebrey143 September 22nd, 2007 06:48 AM

Okay, now you ladies are scaring me. I had my tubes tied in June of '05 after I had my third child. I was very confident that I would not be having any more children....until now. AF is about 1 month late and I have been having some familiar PG symptoms (however all of which can be considered AF symptoms as well) I called the DR about 2 week ago and told them the situation and they said to take an HPT and call them back with the results. I took two and the both came back negative. I called them back and they said to call them back if AF still hasn't showed up with in 3 months. So I was relieved that I wasn't PG, and stared thinking that I just had some sort of a hormonal imbalance that is screwing me up. Now I am reading all of these posts and I am getting REAL scared!!!! :wacko:

ShawnaCAN September 22nd, 2007 11:48 AM

Pregnancy is possible, but very unlikely. Those all sound like symptoms related to Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome. It's very difficult to ligate the fallopian tubes without damaging the blood supply to the ovaries. Without adequate blood supply, the ovaries shrivel up and can't perform all the important hormonal work that they need to do. The result is hormonal chaos with a wide variety of symptoms, some of which are very similar to pregnancy or menopause. Common signs of PTLS are: heavy irregular bleeding, persistent spotting, painful periods, absent periods, hot flashes, weight gain, breast tenderness, depression, moodiness, etc. etc. etc.
www.tubal.org

colebrey143 September 23rd, 2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Pregnancy is possible, but very unlikely. Those all sound like symptoms related to Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome. It's very difficult to ligate the fallopian tubes without damaging the blood supply to the ovaries. Without adequate blood supply, the ovaries shrivel up and can't perform all the important hormonal work that they need to do. The result is hormonal chaos with a wide variety of symptoms, some of which are very similar to pregnancy or menopause. Common signs of PTLS are: heavy irregular bleeding, persistent spotting, painful periods, absent periods, hot flashes, weight gain, breast tenderness, depression, moodiness, etc. etc. etc.
www.tubal.org[/b]
Thanks for posting this...I am definitely looking into it because I have ALL of the above symptoms. Just as an update, AF finally came this morning :bluecheer: however, this in one of the most painful periods I have ever had. Since you sound like you know your stuff, is there a treatment for an unbearably painful period?? Can the DR do something for me? Mine have been increasingly painful for the past year and I have seriously been considering asking the DR for a hysterectomy!!!

ShawnaCAN September 23rd, 2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting this...I am definitely looking into it because I have ALL of the above symptoms. Just as an update, AF finally came this morning :bluecheer: however, this in one of the most painful periods I have ever had. Since you sound like you know your stuff, is there a treatment for an unbearably painful period?? Can the DR do something for me? Mine have been increasingly painful for the past year and I have seriously been considering asking the DR for a hysterectomy!!![/b]
Oh that's just because I teach the Billings Ovulation Method IRL since I "retired" from nursing to be a SAHM. I come across this stuff a lot (some clients have had reversals due to the unbearable side effects they experienced and come to learn to avoid pregnancy via NFP).

The treatment options are usually:
1. Oral contraceptives to try to cover up the hormone deficiencies and manage bleeding. This is sometimes effective, sometimes not.
2. Reversal (restoring the blood flow to the ovaries usually helps them heal and regulate things once again, so less pain/less bleeding).
3. Hysterectomy (can include instant menopause and Hormone Replacement Therapy if your ovaries are not in good enough condition to leave).
4. Endometrial Ablation - burning the inside of the uterus to reduce bleeding. Doesn't always work and the woman still winds up with a hysterectomy anyway. Doesn't do anything about the other hormonal symptoms (hot flashes, weight gain, depression) - just the bleeding.

colebrey143 September 23rd, 2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

The treatment options are usually:
1. Oral contraceptives to try to cover up the hormone deficiencies and manage bleeding. This is sometimes effective, sometimes not.
2. Reversal (restoring the blood flow to the ovaries usually helps them heal and regulate things once again, so less pain/less bleeding).
3. Hysterectomy (can include instant menopause and Hormone Replacement Therapy if your ovaries are not in good enough condition to leave).
4. Endometrial Ablation - burning the inside of the uterus to reduce bleeding. Doesn't always work and the woman still winds up with a hysterectomy anyway. Doesn't do anything about the other hormonal symptoms (hot flashes, weight gain, depression) - just the bleeding[/b]
So really, there is no easy treatment... <_< I am only 26, so I am not sure that my dr would even let me have a hysterectomy (and I don't really want one....I just REALLY want to stop hurting!!!) BCP make me very sick...I have never been able to take them as directed... and I am NOT getting a reversal!! LOL Thanks for your help anyway.... I guess I can just put on my big girl panties and buy stock piles of ibuprofen!!! :D

ShawnaCAN September 23rd, 2007 09:04 PM

No easy treatment. I wish there was. :( Maybe stocks IN Ibuprofen with those stockpiles? And don't forget to take lots of calcium and magnesium, especially prior to your period. That can help too!

colebrey143 September 24th, 2007 03:34 AM

Thanks for all your help!