JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Unplanned Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/)
-   -   Need Help (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f100-unplanned-pregnancy/754151-need-help.html)

conley1988 October 3rd, 2007 03:14 AM

Well, I went to use the bathroom at work and when I wiped I noticed blood, very light and two wipes and it was gone. I immediately left work and went to the hospital down the street. I sat in the waiting room for three hours going crazy and being worried. They finally did blood work and then sent for an u/s. I asked her was everything okay because I couldn't see anything and she said fine, right on target. I was like there is nothing there and I was like there is no way I could have had a miscarriage with that little blood and she said "miscarriage, your blood work shows you are only 1-3 weeks pregnant" :wacko: I was like I haven't had a cycle since August 4th, although they have been screwed up and come when they want. Then she said that bleeding I experienced was more then likely implantation bleeding because my endometreis (sp) was very thick and ripe as my body is preparing for pregnancy.

Of course this raises many questions, like how does a home pregnancy test pick up HCG levels at 1-3 weeks? She said I took an early response which lets you know at 3 weeks and 2 days if you are pregnant or not in most cases and HCG levels differ in everyone.

When the doctor came in he said I am only 2-3 weeks pregnant, leaning towards 2, according to blood work but of course that is hard to tell when you can't see anything on a u/s yet. But he said my HCG levels were fine, did a pelvix exam and said everything looked good, and sent me home with a list of doctors to call.

But help me, is is possible to pick up a pregnancy that early? I mean don't women ovulate then? I can see three weeks but 2, or could it be a late two. Even so I took those tests Friday. The same test in my siggy.

CO Mommy October 3rd, 2007 03:19 AM

I guess what I'm most confused about is that you said you hadn't DTD since August- so I'm not entirely sure how you'd only be 1-3 weeks and the first 2 weeks you can't read HCG because you haven't ovulated until week 2. So that would me you would have to have conceived in September, I'm not sure what else to tell you except to get a second opinion because thats kinda crazy. Are you POSITIVE they read your levels down to zero after the D&C?

conley1988 October 3rd, 2007 05:06 AM

No we have done the deed in september. But I called the hospital and asked them to explain it better and she said that my HCG beta level from my quantatitive tests peaked at 276! So of course I went on the internet for more info about this test and basically I learned that:

When you are pregnant the level of hCG increases and usually doubles every two to three days. It then reaches a maximum level by the second or third month of pregnancy, followed by a decrease occurring in the third trimester.

Here are typical hCG Beta values in pregnant women up to 22 days post-retrieval (DPR) or days post-ovulation (DPO).
DPR or DPO Amount of hCG in mIU/ml

10 5 - 50

12 10 - 100

14 20 - 200

16 40 - 400

18 70 - 800

20 140 - 1600

22 180 - 3200

Here are the hCG Beta values given by the number of weeks after ovulation:after the 1st week and 2 days 5.0 to 50.0 mUI/ml

Between 1st and 2nd week 5.0 to 500.0 mUI/ml

Between 2nd and 3rd week 100.0 to 5,000.0 mUI/ml

Between 3rd and 4th week 500.0 to 10,000.0 mUI/ml

Between 4th and 5th week 1,000.0 to 50,000.0 mUI/ml

Between 5th and 6th week 10,000.0 to 100,000.0 mUI/ml

Between 6th and 8th week 15,000.0 to 200,000.0 mUI/ml

Between 8th and 12th week 10,000.0 to 100,000.0 mUI/ml

So I guess I am really a about month along?

I don't even know why I went there. They don't even deliver babies.

Shyflutterby October 3rd, 2007 09:14 AM

I'm a lurker on this board and saw this and thought I would tell you what happened with me. And how the medical thinks works.....I was late by more than a week and like you very irregular when it comes to AF. I went to the Dr's because I was having bad sharp pains in my kidney......they test my urine for kidney problems then come back to the room...tell me it's all clear and then proced to ask me...what's the chances of you being preggo.....I tell um there's always a chance. So they tested me. it's positive....so they were guessing me to be 8 weeks along. So 2 weeks later I go iin for my ultrasound and low and behold there's no baby in the uterus just what they call a yolk sac, and no sign of a baby at all. I assumed It was a blighted ovum (an egg that just didn't form right but body was still acting as it was pregnant). So after having blood work done and another ultrasound they were pretty sure I was pregnant. But I was only 3 weeks along. Now in medical terms.....they add 2 weeks on to the real amount of time you are preggo...so if they tell you that you are 8 weeks prego you are technically only 6 weeks.

So I had a positive prego test at the Dr's office when I was really only 1 week along.

Also it is very common for a embryo to not implant untill well into the 5th-6th week of pregnancy. that is why in my ultrasounds they didn't see a baby.....she was still floating down the fulopian tube.

Jax October 3rd, 2007 01:28 PM

I think we're all just so used to how WE count it.. since there are actually two ways.. sounds about right. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much. Bleeding can be bad.. but I bled for two weeks prior to knowing that I was pregnant (Finally tested when the bleeding slowed down to basically nothing..) and I have like.. 3 weeks left until I have my daughter = )

Hope everything is going well.. keep us updated..

sounds like you've done enough research to know what you're talking about.. I just added my two cents in hopes that my story would bring you comfort that it could mean nothing.

conley1988 October 4th, 2007 09:31 PM

I went to another hospital, the woman's one, and they were a lot moer into everything and helpful! They drew my blood again and said my HCG levels were at 609! I was so happy and strted crying! I go back tomorrow again to test and I should be over 2,000 during the weekend so they can do another u/s next week! I am so happy to know that there is a bean!

Shyflutterby-that really helps me a lot!
Jax- thank you!