JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f501-vbac-vaginal-birth-after-caesarean/)
-   -   Chances of going into labor naturally after being induced with your first pregnancy. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f501-vbac-vaginal-birth-after-caesarean/1942291-chances-going-into-labor-naturally-after-being-induced-your-first-pregnancy.html)

flsanders April 13th, 2010 07:44 PM

Chances of going into labor naturally after being induced with your first pregnancy.

I am due in just 7 weeks and am going to be trying a VBAC. I was induced with our first child and ended up having an emergency c-section, my Dr. says that I should have no problem with a successful VBAC. My concern and anxiety is that they won't induce me this time and they won't let me go over 1 week past my due date. I am wondering if anyone has a similar story and/or how many people have gone into labor naturally with their second after being induced with their first.

volz83 April 13th, 2010 08:09 PM

Re: Chances of going into labor naturally after being induced with your first pregnan

I am in the same situation! I even just posted a topic about it just a while ago lol. I was induced with my first son for over 12 hrs and it did nothing. I think the reason why is because my son just wasn't ready to come out. This go around I am sorta undecided about Vback or c-section though I am more heavily on doing a Vback. My doctor to thinks I would make a great low risk Vback but he too said if I go past my due date, I think 1 week over that he would be more opt to do a c-section. :( He did say I could stay at home for a while when my labor starts so I am not sitting around the hospital for a long time. Again, I think with me personally, when my old doc said I was one week over due, I do not think I really was as my son was only 7lbs 5 ounces when born (not the normal weight of an over due baby). So I am praying that with this pregnancy my daughter will be ready just before or around her due date! I don't think you would have trouble going into natural labor with your second if you have to be induced with the first. Just my thoughts. :) When are you due? I'm due June 26th!

NutMeg76 April 14th, 2010 03:50 AM

Re: Chances of going into labor naturally after being induced with your first pregnan

One week over the due date is not right. They should 'allow' you to go one week past due, which is 43 weeks. The average pregnancy is 41 weeks, with half of the women going past that. Normal gestation is up to 42 weeks.

Tofu Bacon April 14th, 2010 05:53 AM

Whether or not you were induced with your first has no bearing on whether or not you will go into labor naturally this time around; eventually you would have gone into labor, but maybe your body needed more time. If it helps any, with my first I had a c-section at 42.5 weeks (hadn't yet gone into labor on my own), but with my second I went into labor on my own.

WendyBird April 14th, 2010 07:22 AM

Why were you induced the first time? What was the emergency that occurred that required the cesarean?

I was never induced, all my cesareans were scheduled. The first at 38 weeks, the second at 39. When I had my VBA2C, my OB also said he wouldn't let me go past 41 weeks. Then he changed to 41.5. However, I didn't listen to him. LOL

They said my due date was 1/28. But in actuality it was 1/23. I ovulated early, and I had shorter cycles than normal. Plus, I know when I ovulated. So, according to them, I went into labor the morning of 41.4wks, then I had him at 1am on the day of 41.6. In actuality, I was 42.4weeks.

If left to your own devices, you really WILL go into labor. It just may not be on your time frame, or your doctors. That can truly be stressful, but it's really okay. You have to prepare for it mentally, that's for sure! It's important to go into pregnancy knowing that the due date is not accurate. Rather than thinking of your due date, you should add 2 more weeks, and call THAT your due date. That way, if you are of the 50% that go longer than 41 weeks, it wont feel like torture to you.

The other thing to consider, is that most doctors wont induce a VBAC patient. So almost all of us that have had a VBAC have had to go into labor naturally. Many, many of us were induced the first time around (as you will learn is what usually leads to the cesarean in the first place).

That being said, if your doctor just wont give in to his 41 week rule, this is what I'd do: NOT schedule the cesarean. If you make it to your 41 week appointment, schedule it then, and not a day sooner. If you have a surgery date hovering over your head, it will be very stressful. Also, talk to him about induction. There are some safe options for induction that you can try. Ask about a foley catheter.

Good luck! Please feel free to ask any questions you have.

Karine119 April 14th, 2010 08:09 AM

I was induced with my first at 39 weeks, labored (barely) for 24 hours and she just never moved down and had a c/s. 13 months later and without the knowledge I have now I went for a repeat. With my little girl this time around I stood up and fought. My midwife groups OB they work with told me no later than 40.5 weeks, I saw her again just days before I hit 41 weeks and she was having me be called to schedule my repeat for 42 weeks. The next day I went into labor on my own and delivered by c/s at 41 weeks exact. There were many factors in why I went for a repeat which are above in the birth story forum in my birth story, but I did go into labor, I did labor for 14-18 hours, my contractions did progress and get stronger and assume they made progress with my body but I don't know for certain. I'd say tell your OB you are more comfortable to book your repeat for 42 weeks. They can't force you to have a c/s regardless of how hard they make it seem like you have to.

TheOtherMichelle April 14th, 2010 01:13 PM

I only have one child so far, and my doctor wanted to induce me but I refused because there was no medical reason for it. I ended up going into labor on my own at 41w5d (and had the c/s because of a malposition.) Had I not stood my ground I would have been induced and not known whether I could go into labor or not. But I did, and you will too! You just have to throw out the idea of 40 weeks being "done" and give your body time to work. Not all babies walk or talk at the same time, so why should they all be done gestating at the same time?

Sk8ermaiden April 14th, 2010 01:37 PM

I agree! You WILL go into labor on your own.

I would also not allow them to induce/section me until AFTER 42 weeks.

Mommy of 3 girlies August 10th, 2012 12:05 PM

Won't it hurt the baby if it stays in too long? I've been induced at 41 weeks with my other babies ad I really want a natural labor

alwayssmile August 12th, 2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy of 3 girlies (Post 26386487)
Won't it hurt the baby if it stays in too long? I've been induced at 41 weeks with my other babies ad I really want a natural labor

No. :confused: A normal pregnancy will naturally go between 38 and 42 weeks. Many (including me) thinks it would be much more accurate to give a mom a due month rather than an EDD. There are slight risks to going beyond 42 weeks, but with today's technology doctors can have a better idea what's going on and if something needs to be done. One of my friends went to 42 weeks, 6 days (she did have tests done starting at 41 weeks and baby always passed without issue) and everything went great (this was a VBA2C too!). Baby came when she was ready. :)

hkystar August 22nd, 2012 04:53 AM

How do you find a dr who will agree to 42 weeks?

I was induced with my first at 41w 1d. Labor was long and in the end they said she was in distress (hr all over the place) so they did a c/s. I honestly believe they pushed her out well before she was ready.

I really want a VBAC. But when I went in for my first OB apt, I got very discouraged. They said they wont induce this time. They are gonna make me schedule a c/s at 41 weeks.

I accept that there may be a point where I need to have a c/s this time, but I REALLY want to give my body the chance to do what it is made to do.

alwayssmile August 23rd, 2012 10:37 AM

There's a FB group called Birth Without Fear Support which does have resources to help women find more friendly providers.
I'm having to drive an hour away to another city for my care, but I'm seeing a practice with both midwives and OBs (though other than 1 appt I've only seen MWs by choice). They have zero issue with any woman going to 42 weeks. At 41 weeks they do ask for an NST which I'm fine with. Always worth asking about that rather than automatically going to a RCS!
Inductions done correctly are okay with VBAC, but I personally will avoid it up until 42 weeks exactly. Even then only if my bishop score is favorable.
Myth: VBACs should never be induced VBAC Facts
The VBAC Facts site is a bit confusing in layout to me, but the lady who runs it does tons of research and presents her finding with references. So definitely worth reading around the site!