JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f501-vbac-vaginal-birth-after-caesarean/)
-   -   Any 'real life" uterine rupture stories? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f501-vbac-vaginal-birth-after-caesarean/1982511-any-real-life-uterine-rupture-stories.html)

MamaMandy May 18th, 2010 02:59 PM

Any 'real life" uterine rupture stories?

Hi, I am a lurker I suppose, since I'm due in November & it's too soon to know for sure if I'll choose a VBAC or not. For now, I come here & read, read, read to learn all I can. If not for this board, I wouldn't even be considering a VBAC, so I thank you all for that!

As of now, risk of uterine rupture, especially if I end up with an anterior placenta, is my biggest worry factor. I do have some pretty significant back problems, so I'm also trying to learn and weigh the pros and cons of going through labor vs. recovering from another c-section, while caring for a special needs 5 year old and a newborn. :confused: Anywho...I know the standard stats of uterine rupture occurrence, but am curious to hear of any real life cases, and what that was like for mom and baby. Does anyone have stories or other input they wouldn't mind sharing? Thank you!

Mandy

NutMeg76 May 18th, 2010 04:21 PM

Re: Any 'real life" uterine rupture stories?

We had one woman that posted her birth story about uterine rupture. She had a positive outcome, but still condemned us for choosing VBAC. She decided to remove her birth story, which I found sad, all we wanted was her to remove the judgmental portion not the entire account. In her case it did come down to a very tense situation, but she *knew for a while, even before she went into the hospital that something was wrong and ignored her instinct.

You can find accounts of uterine rupture in blogs on the internet. I read a lot of them a few years ago, and most of them had pitocin, cervidil or cytotec somewhere in the story.

There are also a few women on the ICAN yahoo list that have experience UR, if you want you can join, it is a yahoo group, and ask them.

volz83 May 18th, 2010 04:59 PM

My mother's cousin had a uterus rupture but her story was a bit unique in that she was not a Vback when it happened. What happened in her case was she had had two previous births, both of which went great. With her third baby she went into the hospital in labor but I guess it was not "active" labor so her doctor (who was at home) ordered her to have pitocin as he was to lazy and didn't want to come in right away. I guess the nurses gave way to much of pitocin and caused her uterus to rupture, she kept complaining of pain that was not normal labor pain but they dismissed her. Her son was born via emergency c-section but by the time they listened to her and realized something was really wrong, he had already suffered brain damage. His name was Blake, she had him taken off life support and he passed away about an hour later. She can never have kids again. :(

But in her case what happened was one she was given pitocin (because of this story I refuse to be given it) and was given WAY too much! She sued the hospital and won as it had malpractice written all over it. I hope this story doesn't discourage anyone but that is what happened to her.

flitabout May 18th, 2010 05:23 PM

Why would that discourage anybody? The doc screwed up. It soooo does not surprise me. OD somebody on pit? Gotta love "pit to distress"...

amy219 May 18th, 2010 06:08 PM

The only story I've heard about in real life was my friend's cousin who had her uterus rupture during her 4th birth and the previous 3 births were all normal vaginal births. So she wasn't even VBACing either. Baby was fine.

RubyTuesday May 18th, 2010 09:24 PM

I used to be a member of another website where a mom had a rupture. She had a c-section and was planning a RCS. However, she and her dh dtd one afternoon and she started feeling like something wasn't right. After a while they headed to the hospital where she waited around for several hours before they decided to go ahead with the c-section. To their surprised, her uterus was started to open up. Everything turned out fine, thank heavens! The woman was actually paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair and still managed to realize something was wrong.

NutMeg76 May 19th, 2010 03:55 AM

I think I remember reading in one study that comparing the group for ERCS vs the VBAC trial of labor group, when the labor is unaugmented the risk of uterine rupture in the pregnancy is about the same. The risk for uterine rupture is not caused by a TOL, but instead by being pregnant after a cesarian.

I am going to have to try t find that study.

flitabout May 19th, 2010 04:56 AM

Meg I would kiss you if you could find that study!

TheOtherMichelle May 19th, 2010 07:14 AM

Ditto what the others have said. All the stories I have seen involved either cytotech/cervadil/pitocin and the moms noticed an unusual pain that went on for hours before anyone did anything about it. I know every experience is different, but it makes me feel better to know that I can avoid the drugs and if I notice anything off, I feel more confident that I have a little time to get help.

Mandy, now is definitely not too soon to plan a vbac! Have you talked to your doctor about it? A lot of them will be vaguely supportive in the beginning, and at the end pull what we call the "bait and switch" and coerce you into another c-section at the end of the pregnancy. Or set you up with very narrow parameters to let you try. Something like, "you must go into labor on your own before 40 weeks and labor for no more than 8 hours or else you need a RCS." I guess I'm just saying, if I were in your position I would plan a vbac, making sure I had a provider on board, and then you can change your mind later. It's much, much easier to get a ERC than a vbac.

WendyBird May 19th, 2010 08:43 AM

Hello, I'm glad you came out of lurkdom. It's great that you've learned so much from lurking so far.

Like michelle said, it isn't too soon to think about a VBAC. It's the perfect time. You have the time to find the provider that will help you get a VBAC if you wish, but if you decide on an ERCS, you'll still be able to get it.

Anyway, I have a rupture story. It's about my friend. During her first pregnancy, she ruptured. It was nothing major, just a little tear. It was a vaginal delivery. During her second pregnancy, she ruptured. Again, it was a vaginal delivery and it was just a small tear. During her third pregnancy she ruptured again. This time it was a bigger tear. The doctors felt that they should repair it. But in the end, they didn't. So, 3 pregnancies, 3 vaginal births, 3 uterine ruptures. Then she got pregnant again. She really felt that she needed to have a cesarean. Then her doctor told her about another doctor that could do an ultrasound and see the scar. So she drove the 3 hours to see him. The doctor told her that her scars looked great, and she could labor. So, she did. This time she didn't rupture. She is now pregnant again and plans on vaginal birth again.

That story is a bit different. She has had 3 uterine ruptures, but she has never had any abdominal surgery. Not one was catastrophic, or even repaired.

I hope you'll let us get to know you more. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

MamaMandy May 22nd, 2010 08:22 AM

Wow. Just...wow. How come you (I?) never hear all these UR "horror stories" and warnings and condemnation regarding straight vaginal & c/s deliveries?! You'd think it was exclusive to VBAC's the way the hype and paranoia is - the propaganda of how foolish & selfish VBAC moms are...when ANY mom can have one with ANY type of pregnancy & delivery! Thank you all for taking the time to share. More enlightentment & things that make me go hmmmm...

I've started planning a VBAC. :D Like Michelle said, I can always change it if I have to. I'll make another post for all that when I get another minute, I'd love to hear everyone's take on how it's going. For now, it's off to a kiddie birthday party with the local Mommy Mafia aka the Mean Girls who never grew up. (shudders) So much fun when you're not a "made mom". :rolleyes: Ah, well - Liana will have fun. The things we do for our little ones!

Gdursunoglu October 11th, 2012 11:55 PM

Hello everyone, I had a uterine rupture during VBAC 3 months ago. I am fine and my baby is fine. I had 4 cm dialation when I went to the hospital with contractions 2 minutes apart. Everyone thought it was going to be a fast and easy birth. I was trying to lay down on my bed when suddenly I felt it ripped apart and my water broke at the same time. It was an undescribable and horrible pain so I started screaming. Nobody believed me for 10-15 minutes and they thought my pain threshold is too low. Midwives brought a pilates ball and made me sit on it as I kept screaming because of pain. Luckily my doctor arrived and realized my uterine is in "tetanic" position ( it contracts but never relaxes) and he understood the rupture. I was rushed to the O.R and had an emergency c- section. He had a hard time getting out my baby because of the hardness of my uterus muscles...it wasn't a nice experience but thank God nothing happened to me or the baby. We were both fine and I healed faster than my first c- section. I wanted to have VBAC so bad and had been reading and learning about it since my first baby...it was very dissappointing. BUT I would do it all over again. So pleaae don't be scared. Try natural! Rupture risk is too low and in my case I blame the sex we had to induce the labor ( I was 39+4 and my doctor told me he won't wait after 40) my labor pains started 2 minutes apart ( not hours apart like books say) anyways, good luck whoever wants to try it...

Memi October 12th, 2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutMeg76 (Post 20236265)
I think I remember reading in one study that comparing the group for ERCS vs the VBAC trial of labor group, when the labor is unaugmented the risk of uterine rupture in the pregnancy is about the same. The risk for uterine rupture is not caused by a TOL, but instead by being pregnant after a cesarian.

I am going to have to try t find that study.

I read that study as well several months ago. Hearing that whether I have a repeat Cesarean or go for my VBAC the risk of UR is ultimately the same (plus all the extra risks of a major abdominal surgery and that God awful recovery) immediately made up my choice!

majicmaid October 14th, 2012 04:24 PM

An anterior placenta shouldn't affect anything. Mine was anterior and I didn't have any problem.

MommieToMCL October 29th, 2012 06:51 PM

ruptured, but I was not attempting a VBAC. My birth story is on here somewhere. It was the worst experience of my life.

JessKeller24 December 5th, 2012 05:25 AM

I did. My second pregnancy I was planning a vbac. I didn't even go into labor. No pain, went in with bleeding. Got an emergency csection because they thought it was placenta abruption but when they got in there my uterus was open. Me and baby were perfectly healthy. Had another baby a year and half later via repeat csection. I was told if I waited to go in (was on my way to Walmart to finish Christmas shopping) it wouldn't have turned out the same.

HeatherLyn429 July 26th, 2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majicmaid (Post 26651589)
An anterior placenta shouldn't affect anything. Mine was anterior and I didn't have any problem.

I agree. I've had 5 VBAC's & 2 of those were with kiddos with anterior placenta.