JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f501-vbac-vaginal-birth-after-caesarean/)
-   -   Issues with incontinence after VBAC? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f501-vbac-vaginal-birth-after-caesarean/2605135-issues-incontinence-after-vbac.html)

Blieving4more December 13th, 2012 08:38 AM

Issues with incontinence after VBAC?

Hi I am having my 2nd child in March and my first was an emergency C-Section because he was face up. This pregnancy I have dealt with severe urinary incontinence (every time I sneeze or cough too hard I leak) My doctor mentioned that if I were to attempt a VBAC that this may get worse. After my C Section I would experience this rarely, maybe once every 6 months or so. This is such an embarrassing thing and I cannot imagine living the rest of my life or at least child bearing years with incontinence but I really really want to attempt a VBAC. My doctor mentioned that I could have a surgery to correct this issue once I am done having children.

Anyone experience this? Would you risk a VBAC over a C-Section either way?

KMH December 13th, 2012 07:33 PM

Re: Issues with incontinence after VBAC?

I had a c-section with my first and a VBAC with the twins. I have not experienced any incontinence issues with either birth.

The risks of a c-section are so much greater than with a vaginal birth...if we have more kids I will absolutely go for a VBAC again. Even after having a forceps-assisted delivery with Baby A, "significant sidewall damage," and tearing and stitches, the recovery was so much easier than with the c-section, and I felt "present" after the birth instead of foggy and nauseous.

Are your issues something that kegels or other exercises might help? I would ask your doc and see if you can do anything to prevent further damage.

Good luck, and I hope that you and baby are both healthy no matter what kind of birth you choose!

Blieving4more December 14th, 2012 05:45 AM

Thank you for sharing. I have spoken to my doctor and kegels and strengthening your pelvic floor is always a good thing but some people with urinary incontinence won't be able to find resolve without surgery. The incontinence did not present itself as badly as it does now until after I got pregnant this time around. My doctor says that I will not know the extent of the incontinence until I no longer have a growing baby pressing on my bladder :giggle: but that the risk of it getting worse is magnified by a vagina birth. I am due in less then 11 weeks and right now I am pushing for a VBAC. I have heard so many stories from mom's such as yourself that continue to let me know that no matter the circumstance of their VBAC they would choose it over a C-section any day. My C-Section experience was not a good one so I am definitely leaning towards VBAC as much as I can.

KMH December 14th, 2012 07:10 AM

Yes, I imagine getting that baby off of your bladder will help a LOT!

I actually had a wonderful c-section experience...probably as good as it gets. I'd still choose the VBAC :) I know this isn't what you asked, but I will share briefly another reason...

With the c-section, there was a bit of a disconnect for me with the birth. I know that my little girl came out of me, but I couldn't see it. DH watched over the curtain and described every gory detail, but I felt like birth was something happening to me, not something I was participating in. I don't know exactly how to describe it except that I just felt like something was missing...I couldn't connect all the dots between being pregnant and being a Mommy. The VBAC was totally different...I felt every moment and my journey felt very complete after the babies were born. The doctors were there to help us, but I did it...I'm so glad that I was able to experience that.

Blieving4more December 14th, 2012 07:41 AM

Oh I agree! My C-Section felt the same way...detached. They didn't even let me hold my son until hours later and I got a brief glimpse of him from the corner of my eye while everyone else in the family was able to stare at him while he was in the nursery. I recall shouting to my husband as he left the OR "please don't let anyone else hold him before I get to". I was so depressed that I didn't get that time to be with him alone one on one before everyone else got to see him.
I know better now and no matter what happens will advocate for me to have my son right away.

alwayssmile December 15th, 2012 02:09 PM

If I coughed hard I leaked with my first pregnancy. I caught a nasty cold then so I leaked a lot. No issues after pregnancy. During this past pregnancy it was just during the third I had a few incidents but nothing bad at all. I got my VBAC. Since then I've caught a cold and have leaked a few times from coughing spells. I don't mind. I'd take this and my VBAC over a CS any day!!!

NutMeg76 January 31st, 2013 03:12 PM

Surgery is generally a very, very last resort for incontinence, so if your doctor is telling you it will be necessary I would be getting a second opinion, because it is flat out wrong.

Now, kegels are not all that helpful and can actually make it worse. If he is in the habit of having patients do this to help their incontinence that may be why he sees such poor results. He can refer you to a specialty physical therapy practice to help you develop your pelvic floor muscles. It is also been proven that some women are just prone to become incontient, regardless of method of birth or whether they have ever been pregnant. You are evidence of this in that you have it already and have not had a vaginal birth. Birthing vaginally is not likely to make it worse. That is one of the top reason a provider who is not VBAC friendly will use to cinvince a woman that is an excellent candidate for VBAC to elect surgery. It really is a part of their "tool kit" to sway you to do what is easiest for them.

The Risks of Cesarean Section VBAC Facts
Stop Doing Kegels: Real Pelvic Floor Advice For Women (and Men) | Breaking Muscle

HorseGal May 19th, 2013 10:41 AM

I had a c-section too and i'm having the same issue. If a previous c-section didnt keep it from happening, why would another one?

PS. I agree, I hate leaking :-/