JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   VBAC: Vaginal Birth After a Caesarean (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f501-vbac-vaginal-birth-after-caesarean/)
-   -   Do people understand why you want a vbac? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f501-vbac-vaginal-birth-after-caesarean/2690420-do-people-understand-why-you-want-vbac.html)

pattyandthemoos November 5th, 2013 01:10 PM

Do people understand why you want a vbac?

Do people in your life understand why you want to have a vbac? What about your dh?

My sister was really the only person who understood why I didn't want to just have another csection. Dh is always supportive of whatever I want to do, but he didn't really care if I had another csection either. I don't think he ever really understood my feelings. Fortunately, I've always gotten a lot of support on JM so that has helped me. But the people in my life have never really understood.

KMH November 5th, 2013 03:44 PM

Re: Do people understand why you want a vbac?

My DH was literally the only person who understood. Especially with twins, if I mentioned a VBAC they thought I was completely insane. Eventually I got tired of the comments and just played along with the "oh you are having twins...that's an automatic c-section" game. I'm glad I stuck to what I wanted and that the babies cooperated...it was amazing!

SkyBaby November 5th, 2013 08:55 PM

DH is supportive after I showed him the statistics. He would also support me if I chose a rcs. I've hashed out all my reasons for wanting to avoid one this time around and he doesn't really fully understand why. As long as it's clear this choice will not hurt the baby, he's ok with it.

My parents and his parents though don't get it at all. They all think I'm nuts. My mom and his mom both had csections for all their kids and never really had any major disappointment to work through. They both just felt like they gave birth. My mom doesn't believe the facts and statistics regarding vbac vs rcs that I've shared with her over the months since I found out I'm pregnant so I try real hard not to bring it up. When she asks me about it, I just give her some vague, beat around the bush answer because I know she won't get it. DH's parents pretty much feel the same. In fact, FIL believes csection is the easier option! They will not be allowed anywhere near me when I go into labor unless they can all keep their mouths shut.

melaniek85 November 6th, 2013 07:39 AM

My family and dh understand I want to attempt a vbac and are supportive but still don't really get it. My mom had two c sections, so she's all for them and thinks it easier. Dh supports me but doesn't think a c section is a big deal and doesn't understand why it matters how I give birth as long as baby is healthy. The understand the reasons like I want easier recovery, want to be able to care for our toddler and newborn quicker, want a shorter hosp stay but none of them understand the emotionl reasons at all.