JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Vegetarian Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f76-vegetarian-mommies/)
-   -   what's cooking this week? 4/7/13 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f76-vegetarian-mommies/2641512-whats-cooking-week-4-7-13-a.html)

miamor April 8th, 2013 06:54 AM

what's cooking this week? 4/7/13

(only cuz meredith isn't here to do it this week, i'm not hijacking :P)

anything interesting? oldies but goodies??

i cooked almost all slow cooker stuff out of the new book last week and i gotta say, the books look pretty boring for 4/5 things i prepared were pretty decent. the pasta with beans and herbs meant well but i think flavor was lacking. i would revisit, but with my own seasonings. the other recipes were actually seasoned well.

last night we made home made corn tortillas (a la rick bayless) and i made a mango and lime and cilantro dressing to dress some raw kale with. we did black beans and "chick'n" tacos. it was really tasty.
no clue about the rest of the week since i didn't meal plan and my mom and niece will be in town.

on a separate issue, my niece tried to go vegetarian twice and she's 11. her family isn't supportive and she didn't like any of the vegetarian food my sis in law made for her, but it may have been the execution. i like to think one day she'll get it right and go meatless..but i cant say for sure if she's cut out for it. she's a super non picky eater as far meat dishes because of how her family eats, but i dont know if she's been exposed to enough variety of non meat items to make the change to actually enjoying the food.

ok i know when it gets too long you stop reading, so i'll end it here :P

mgm78 April 8th, 2013 12:58 PM

Re: what's cooking this week? 4/7/13

When I became vegetarian my mother refused to cook for me so i ate rice a roni with cubed tofu. lol

as far as this week? i just got home from my trip and am exhausted. i think i am going to make quinoa salad and the moroccan veggies again.

left_field April 8th, 2013 07:54 PM

let me recommend CHef Chloe's cookbook..pick it up...a lot of neatos in there and well as the Vegan Holiday cook book........

myfavoriteshoes April 9th, 2013 06:01 AM

I'm in loooove with Let Them Eat Vegan cookbook by Dreena B. Have made so many recipes from there now. You just have to make bigger portions though because I think they are meant for child sized only. So to feed adults, I usually double up and there's enough for Sam and leftovers (sometimes) for Moe's lunch the next day.

miamor April 9th, 2013 08:33 AM

i'm going to check out both of these books! thanks!

the happy herbivore book makes pretty small portions i think. i know there's only three of us, but sometimes i want more leftovers.

myfavoriteshoes April 10th, 2013 04:15 AM

yep Happy Herbi is the same way. Increase portions (double up recipe)