JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   The Venting Room (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f47-venting-room/)
-   -   Electric Bill Vent (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f47-venting-room/2684975-electric-bill-vent.html)

Moo Moo to 4 October 10th, 2013 06:29 PM

Electric Bill Vent

I know this isn't about marriage or tough family situations but OMG...who can afford a $355 every two months?!?!?! Like seriously! I am ready to turn all the breakers off and "live off the land" LOL

Ideas?!?!

katylady October 12th, 2013 08:55 AM

Re: Electric Bill Vent

wow...that's a lot for sure. Do you live in a mansion? LOL

Kalia20 October 13th, 2013 06:25 AM

$150 a month? I know people that would kill for that

Repti.Mom October 16th, 2013 10:56 AM

Get energy efficient light bulbs. Unplug your stuff that's not in use. That includes all chargers that aren't plugged in, tvs dvd players EVERYTHING. Keep your fridge and freezer full. Wash laundry in cold water, or turn down your water heater, and don't use the heat dry cycle on your dishwasher. Change filters often. Buy energy efficient appliances.

pattyandthemoos October 19th, 2013 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalia20 (Post 27723870)
$150 a month? I know people that would kill for that

Yeh, our electric bill is crazy. We have paid as much as $800 in one month! When I am really disciplined I can reduce our bill a lot, but it's still pretty high. The big thing I try to watch is how much we have the tvs on. I think they use a lot of electricity. I also wash in cold and try to turn lights off as much as possible. Sometimes I will go check the meter and make goals for us for the week/month but I haven't done that in a while. It does help to be super conscientious about how much you use/waste.

LUSHaye October 20th, 2013 07:27 AM

I think ours gets up to about $150 in the winter. It drops down by about half in the summer since we don't have AC. We're in a 1000 sq ft condo so sometimes that winter bill just seems crazy, but I have heard of higher bills for similar living spaces.
We can get help with our heating bills for the winter time through the state (they don't pay for all of it but they help), but we never applied in time. It just takes so long for them to process stuff.

Repti.Mom October 28th, 2013 10:13 AM

Now that we've had the house insulated and got rid of all the reptiles our bill has gone down by half to about 150 a month MAX. During the winter it is super cheap, but then the gas goes up. We're in WI, so there's a cold winter obviously.
800 is 1.4 times what I pay for my house. I wouldn't HAVE TVs if ours was that much! lol

Kalia20 October 31st, 2013 07:30 AM

Theres lots of ways to lower a hydro bill.
- newer energy efficient appliances if affordable. Old appliances suck hydro like crazy
-keep fridges and freezers full, when full they need to run less to keep cold.
-make sure there no dust build up on the back.
-unplug anything like toasters, coffee makers, tvs etc when not in use. Even when not in use the cord still draws power
-for high traffic areas keep the lights on all night instead of turning off and on cause that uses more energy. An extra "shot" is needed to light them, it adds up
-energy efficient bulbs. Try to find mercury free ones. More expensive but worth it
-Keep everything off during the day as possible
-certain hours of the day costs more. Here the cheap time is 7pm-7am so thats when it's best to do stuff like laundry
-use dryer as little as possible.
-always do full loads with cold water
-check temp on hot water tank, turn down a couple degrees if too high.
-fix any drafts in windows and doors those small drafts can make a big heating difference

Rainbow Momma October 31st, 2013 09:22 AM

I live in an apartment right now and my bill has been through the summer at 130-150, this month it was only 60! thank god!! but dont have the a/c set very low, 77 is always good, turn on some fans if youre hot! be maticulous about lights, unplug everything! (the toaster, blow dryers and phone chargers are big ones!)

utexas10 November 13th, 2013 07:19 AM

I dont think we have ever paid less than 180 in a month. During the summer it goes up to 650.