JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Waiting to Try to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f94-waiting-to-try-to-conceive/)
-   -   WTT Countdown: 52 Weeks (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f94-waiting-to-try-to-conceive/2671356-wtt-countdown-52-weeks.html)

deductiveparent August 9th, 2013 07:19 PM

WTT Countdown: 52 Weeks

Hello everyone, I am new to this board but my husband and I just recently decided that we will start TTC in approximately 1 year! When we came to that conclusion, I realized I needed to start preparing for one of the most important times in my life. So, I've been taking on one new challenge every week to get my soul, body, and mind ready for conception.

Last week I tried to get ready spiritually and this week I am trying to hydrate like a pregnant lady.

What is everyone else doing to prepare for conception, whenever the time for TTC might be? What else should I do for the remaining 50 weeks? Suggestions and stories welcome!

THE angry uterus August 9th, 2013 07:30 PM

Re: WTT Countdown: 52 Weeks

I like the idea of a weekly self challenge! Good idea for sure. :) Start taking folic acid if you havent' already. It can help prevent neural tube defects, preterm labor, and some studies suggest Autism.

BriarRose August 9th, 2013 07:32 PM

Some suggestions, from things I am doing:

*Get your finances together. If you have debt, try to get it paid off. Open a savings account just for baby stuff. A little bit each paycheck in a year will be a nice chunk.

*Read parenting books now. Figure out what your parenting approach will be before you are pregnant and you are getting 10 zillion conflicting suggestions. I am sure first pregnancies are probably a very confusing and hormonal time, so confidence on what you plan to do will help you be able to ignore those who push their advice on you.

*Exercise. If you need to lose or gain a few pounds, now is the time to do it. I am not sure if being in good shape makes for an easier pregnancy/birth but it can't hurt.

*Check yourself mentally. Do you have any underlying issues that might need to be addressed? Anxiety, depression, etc. I saw a therapist for six months to get me over my obsessive worrying about everything.

*Have a pre-conception doctor's visit. I had this past January mine and my doctor made sure I was up to date on my immunizations and checked my blood for any issues that might hamper conception - thyroid, etc.

Good luck and welcome!

deductiveparent August 10th, 2013 10:49 AM

Good suggestions! I am definitely in favor of preparing a parenting philosophy now while I'm relatively sane and unbiased--but I also totally know some of it will change when I actually meet my little one and experience the realities of parenting.

One thing I am thinking a lot about lately is how to be intentional about baby sleep. It seems like a lot of people don't think about helping their LO sleep on their own until they are in the midst of a family sleep crisis. Starting too late is definitely a key factor in having lots of sleep battles. I don't know how I'll do it yet, but I hope to gently encourage good sleep habits from day one. And luckily now is when I have plenty of time to read the research about baby sleep. Like how even exposing them to natural light early in the day/afternoon can help reset the day/night flip that is common with newborns. Who knew?

BriarRose August 10th, 2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deductiveparent (Post 27577757)
One thing I am thinking a lot about lately is how to be intentional about baby sleep. It seems like a lot of people don't think about helping their LO sleep on their own until they are in the midst of a family sleep crisis. Starting too late is definitely a key factor in having lots of sleep battles. I don't know how I'll do it yet, but I hope to gently encourage good sleep habits from day one. And luckily now is when I have plenty of time to read the research about baby sleep. Like how even exposing them to natural light early in the day/afternoon can help reset the day/night flip that is common with newborns. Who knew?

I just actually read a very interesting book called Bringing Up Bebe, about parenting in middle-class France. She talks about how babies "do their nights" by 12 weeks because of parents learning the difference between a baby learning how to shift through sleep cycles and a baby who truly needs attention. They start this from day one of bringing their baby home, and do that they call "the Pause" where you stop and listen before going into the baby's room, in case the noise you are hearing is just a cycle shift and does not need attention.

deductiveparent August 10th, 2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modern Goddess (Post 27577957)
They start this from day one of bringing their baby home, and do that they call "the Pause" where you stop and listen before going into the baby's room, in case the noise you are hearing is just a cycle shift and does not need attention.

Oh, that sounds like a great idea. Definitely rushing to help LOs when actually they can do it on their own seems like it will be hard to avoid as a parent. The Pause seems like a great way to initiate some self-soothing abilities while still responding promptly if baby really needs you/wants you.

I'll have to check out that book!

meld10 August 12th, 2013 05:31 AM

Welcome! :waves:

I really like the idea of a weekly goal as well as reading up on parenting approaches, that is something I had not considered and will definitely be doing. :)

humnck August 12th, 2013 01:32 PM

Seeing as how I am WTTC #3, my parenting ways are already in motion...lol! However, I definitely need to visit my organizational skills, how we will tend to 3, keep up with housework, ensure that each one has one on one time, plus sibling time, etc.

Before I had #1, I had a pre-conception visit, actually, I did this with #2 as well, just not as in depth, it was during my regular annual :) My doc tested my thyroid, immunizations, titers, etc, talked about "how to conceive", when to come to her if we hadn't conceived yet, etc. It was very eye opening and gave me a chance to really get to know my doctor.

I also went on WW, I didn't necessarily need to lose weight, but I did need to learn how to eat healthier and drink more water and that was exactly what I needed!

The finance thing was something we should have worked on, we did much better with #2, we really are going to start looking at that kind of thing this time as well. We are waiting until DD1 is in school so daycare costs are not through the roof (they already are, but we can bring them down by ensuring she is in school). Explore your options if daycare is something that you will need to pursue, look at centers, nannies, in home daycare, family members, etc.

And the biggest one, enjoy your alone time with DH, do some things that you might not be able to do after baby, or at least things you won't be able to do for some time after baby (since I don't believe that children hinder anything, they just make it a little less easy...hehe). Also, discuss everything with DH, how you will go at the birth (natural, drugs, hospital, birth center), what you want out of him during pregnancy, etc.

Good luck! And welcome!

deductiveparent August 12th, 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humnck (Post 27581834)
Seeing as how I am WTTC #3, my parenting ways are already in motion...lol! However, I definitely need to visit my organizational skills, how we will tend to 3, keep up with housework, ensure that each one has one on one time, plus sibling time, etc.

Before I had #1, I had a pre-conception visit, actually, I did this with #2 as well, just not as in depth, it was during my regular annual :) My doc tested my thyroid, immunizations, titers, etc, talked about "how to conceive", when to come to her if we hadn't conceived yet, etc. It was very eye opening and gave me a chance to really get to know my doctor.

I also went on WW, I didn't necessarily need to lose weight, but I did need to learn how to eat healthier and drink more water and that was exactly what I needed!

The finance thing was something we should have worked on, we did much better with #2, we really are going to start looking at that kind of thing this time as well. We are waiting until DD1 is in school so daycare costs are not through the roof (they already are, but we can bring them down by ensuring she is in school). Explore your options if daycare is something that you will need to pursue, look at centers, nannies, in home daycare, family members, etc.

And the biggest one, enjoy your alone time with DH, do some things that you might not be able to do after baby, or at least things you won't be able to do for some time after baby (since I don't believe that children hinder anything, they just make it a little less easy...hehe). Also, discuss everything with DH, how you will go at the birth (natural, drugs, hospital, birth center), what you want out of him during pregnancy, etc.

Good luck! And welcome!

I appreciate all the suggestions! I was wondering about the preconception visit--was your doctor pretty open about questions and concerns? I will most likely be moving and finding a new doc around the time I am TTC, so it will probably be somewhat of an interview for me. But I always get the impression doctors (not sure about midwives, who will also be on my list) don't like when you ask them all these questions about their practices and philosophy. Was yours receptive? Did you ask anything about prenatal care or just about conception at the preconception visit?

Also, re: childcare, what kind did you end up going with? I probably won't be working at first but might end up going back part-time before LO reaches school-age, so I am interested in hearing about experiences with childcare. I like the daycare in someone's home option in theory, but don't know much about the reality.

And I definitely talk to DH about all this...way more than he would like probably :) Luckily he loves me dearly.