JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Waiting to Try to Conceive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f94-waiting-to-try-to-conceive/)
-   -   Need advice about my 4 yr old (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f94-waiting-to-try-to-conceive/2686607-need-advice-about-my-4-yr-old.html)

Peppermint22 October 17th, 2013 07:04 PM

Need advice about my 4 yr old

My son turned 4 in August. He seems to hardly know his colors, he can only count to like 4 by himself, and he doesn't know any of the alphabet!! He had speech issues when he was younger and was behind in several other areas. The speech has improved tremendously but I still worry about all these other things. I don't think he has a learning disability. He went to therapy last yr and they thought he was just behind. Maybe it's Bc he has never been around other kids? No daycare or anything. I'm just so worried. I feel like I'm failing as a parent when I see other children that know so much more than him. He will not be starting kindergarten until he is 6 but I still worry. I'm hoping maybe pre k next yr will help also. Is there any advice anyone can give me?? I'm going to start working with him more everyday. It just seems like he never gets it when I teach him things. Please help. I'm so upset and just want the best for him.

THE angry uterus October 17th, 2013 10:01 PM

Re: Need advice about my 4 yr old

We learned the alphabet by reading Dr. Suesse's ABCs over. and over. and over. and over. My oldest knew her alphabet by 18 mo. I didn't think she was even paying attention when I was reading it. She would often just wander around the room playing and I would just read aloud to keep myself entertained. Maybe he just needs more 1 on 1 time? HAve you tried pointing out letters that start with his name? Like "Look! There's the letter G. GEORGE starts with G." or "C - CAT. C." With my first she brought it to my attention when we went to a store and she said "G!" and pointed. I was like "What???" And sure enough, the store started with a letter G! I was blown away at that point and had to figure out what else she knew but I didn't think she knew, lol.

Irish_Wristwatch October 18th, 2013 04:12 AM

Do you allow screen time? there are some leap frog dvds that teach the alphabet and letter sounds, im sure they make them for counting and colours too. Also if you have a smart phone or tablet there are tonnes of free educational apps out there for kids.

Reading books to him over about those subjects will help too, its just a repeat exposure thing. Honestly i dont think its all that uncommon for a 4 year old not to know all those things yet, he will learn them, some kids pick things up better on their own and some just need a little nudge to get them. Both learning styles are normal :)

Urchin October 18th, 2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE angry uterus (Post 27743292)
We learned the alphabet by reading Dr. Suesse's ABCs over. and over. and over. and over. My oldest knew her alphabet by 18 mo. I didn't think she was even paying attention when I was reading it. She would often just wander around the room playing and I would just read aloud to keep myself entertained. Maybe he just needs more 1 on 1 time? HAve you tried pointing out letters that start with his name? Like "Look! There's the letter G. GEORGE starts with G." or "C - CAT. C." With my first she brought it to my attention when we went to a store and she said "G!" and pointed. I was like "What???" And sure enough, the store started with a letter G! I was blown away at that point and had to figure out what else she knew but I didn't think she knew, lol.

Ditto this. I never think my daughter is paying attention to our books, or when I am teaching her things, as she is so busy and all over the place...but then, at the most random times, she will show that she's learned, and I realize she does in fact absorb everything...!

I personally think that having little playgroups are very beneficial. Is there any way you can get him together with other kids his age, or a little older, to have playtime? My daughter learns SO much from the kids at her daycare (and even some things I am not so thrilled about, lol).

And don't beat yourself up. I don't think I really knew my ABC's by the time I started school (at least I don't remember it). I clearly remember the teacher teaching us those things, and reading the big ABC banner across the room. Kids are very quick learners. He'll surprise you!

Forget Me Not October 18th, 2013 09:35 AM

Christmas lights teach color!
10 in the bed and the little one said helps with numbers!
Dr suess for letters!

But really, no your 4 year old is not behind. The only reason my 4 year old knows that kind of thing is he made the cutoff ( by 2 days) for preschool this year. Where they work on it.

If you can get him in a preschool setting, it may do wonders! In 2 months my son has learned so much, im a very lax mom in teaching things. I figure they have enough time to learn their whole lives, may as well let a baby be a baby. But preschool really helped with my son.

Try not to stress it and remember he is only 4! Just hearing things, they do sink in and he will learn. And you will be amazed. Within 6 months of kindergarten my kids were starting to read! Its amazing how fast they learn in school! He will get it!

Peppermint22 October 18th, 2013 11:43 AM

Thanks for all your replies! You all have some great ideas and you have made me feel a lot better. We painted pictures today. I called out all the colors as we were painting. He seemed to understand when I related it to other objects. Green like grass, red like a fire truck, blue like water. I'm trying not to push it too hard and I'm also trying to make it fun.

HappySeeker October 18th, 2013 01:52 PM

So glad you've posted on here - you are not failing as a mom and your little guy will surely catch up. It's clear you love him lots! Just keep up the things you're doing and make sure you're spending plenty of time reading to him. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised one of these days. Enjoy the parenting journey with patience, creativity and a sense of humor. You are doing great, momma!