JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Weaning (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f474-weaning/)
-   -   Down to nursing once a day...now what? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f474-weaning/1753064-down-to-nursing-once-day-now-what.html)

wishfulgal October 28th, 2009 07:15 AM

Down to nursing once a day...now what?

I'm weaning my son and have been just nursing him once a day for about a week now. When I'm ready to cut out that feeding, what do I do? Just nurse one last time and that's it and my milk will dry up? Or go to every other day nursing for a few days? Weaning has gone really smoothly so far, but I'm just not sure what to do at the end. Thanks!

*Fiona* October 28th, 2009 08:28 AM

Re: Down to nursing once a day...now what?

All I can say is, do what you feel is right for you and Mason. But I wonder if nursing every other day might confuse him?

If it was me, I would just pick a day I felt comfortable stopping and go for it, but thats just me. It took me 2 months to dry up completely, from what I've read, that is quite normal. However I went from 90% BFing one day to 100% bottle feeding the next. Not sure how it would work for you seeing as you gradually cut down.

Please KUP though, Im interested to see how it goes for both you & Mason!

wishfulgal October 28th, 2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Fiona* (Post 17783063)
All I can say is, do what you feel is right for you and Mason. But I wonder if nursing every other day might confuse him?

If it was me, I would just pick a day I felt comfortable stopping and go for it, but thats just me. It took me 2 months to dry up completely, from what I've read, that is quite normal. However I went from 90% BFing one day to 100% bottle feeding the next. Not sure how it would work for you seeing as you gradually cut down.

Please KUP though, Im interested to see how it goes for both you & Mason!

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, that I should just stop one day...I just didn't know if I would get engorged or something by stopping suddenly.Sorry, I have silly questions, I've never done this before.
Another silly question :p:
How do you know when you are "dried up"?

Snowpeas October 28th, 2009 12:07 PM

You might get a little engorged but because it's only once a day it shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure to wear a tight bra.

You should notice a difference in your breasts once your milk is gone.

Good luck!

*Fiona* October 28th, 2009 02:16 PM

No question is a silly question!!

I did get engorged but then I stopped quicker than you. I should imagine you still might seeing as your body needs to adjust. Mine lasted about 5-7 days but as I said I stopped quicker.

I was lucky and didn't really leak, only one night through the night. But I knew my milk was gone because I was checking every few days by trying a tiny bit of hand expressing. Literally 2 drops to see if there was any. Totally dry now and it's been 8-9wks

LadyBugMommyof1 October 30th, 2009 11:50 AM

If you get uncomfortable, a tight bra and motrin really helped me. I also iced and used crushed, cooled green cabbage leaves in my bra at night. But I did the entire weaning process (from 13-18 feedings a day to NONE) in 3 weeks, so I was really uncomfortably engorged. GL & KUP!!!

*Fiona* November 1st, 2009 01:16 PM

How are you doing?