JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Weaning (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f474-weaning/)
-   -   *I think my lil man is weaning*8 mo old. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f474-weaning/1833825-i-think-my-lil-man-weaning-8-mo-old.html)

HailandNevansmom January 11th, 2010 11:22 AM

*I think my lil man is weaning*8 mo old.

Basically , Nevan will only nurse a lil bit throughout the day and a lil bit at night... some days not at all. I guess he is weaning. How did your LO wean, and what age? :( Im so sad lol

*Fiona* January 11th, 2010 11:54 AM

Re: *I think my lil man is weaning*8 mo old.

Hello & welcome to the board!!

Is he distracted whilst nursing? Unlatching to look about etc? You could try taking him to a quiet room of the house to nurse, where there are no distractions?

Kirsty was 6.5m when she weaned, she basically became very distracted, the least little sound in the room and she would unlatch and not nurse anymore. I was ready to wean her anyway, so we just went for it. She weaned overnight.

KUP on the next few days?

ambee January 12th, 2010 03:01 PM

If you're not ready to wean, you might try popping over to the BFing board and I'm sure they could give you some good advice on how to continue nursing him. I know some babies go through "nursing strikes" and there are ways you can get through that if you don't want to switch him to formula yet. I hope you can figure something out that you're happy with.

HailandNevansmom January 15th, 2010 04:09 PM

oops i wrote out a huge post yesterday and have to re write it :( omg lmao.

Ok well heres the thing... Nevan is trying to nurse the past few days, but we arent getting anywhere .. he bites me usually , and hes had one lil letdown in a few days .. so im pretty sure we are stopping .... i guess in the process of.

He still thinks he wants boob, but when I try , hes impatient, bites, not much milk supply anymore, etc.. so i give him a bottle. And he loves his babas... I started giving him one or two formula bottles a day around 4 -5 mo old and it gradually increased... so hes ok on formula it seems.

So... i guess what my question to you guys is.... how will I know, when its really finished? Do i stop completely, or just go with the flow type thing... I pumped one oz lasntight in 15 min so i think I still have some milk just def not like b4.

*Fiona* January 16th, 2010 02:38 PM

It's hard for us to say hunni, it's something you need to decide. But take into consideration of confusing nevan.

Is it worth pumping until your letdown & then nursing? So it is instant milk and he doesn't have to wait, and therefore doesn't have time to fuss/get frustrated? I had to do that a couple of times towards the end with Kirsty.

HailandNevansmom January 19th, 2010 08:20 PM

Yeah... Nevan isnt confused, he knows the difference, and was fine with both for months, till he got teeth :lol: and now hes impatient and bites, and what not.

Oh and yah that is a great idea to pump first and then feed but i decided to stop 3 days ago..and hes fine with just his bottle now, and i think we are both ready to quit :)

Im not engorged at all, but feels like i do have "some" milk.

Does anyone here know when the milk goes away? a couple weeks?

*Fiona* January 23rd, 2010 01:44 AM

Sorry, I did reply to this thread yesterdaybut it;s not showing for some reason :(

My milk took about a month to dry up completely, if I remember correctly! Are you still feeling ok?

HailandNevansmom January 23rd, 2010 04:54 PM

Hey yes... Nevan and I are great... its been about 7-8 days or so i think and hes been just on formula , and the suckie.. i miss bf , and miss that it calmed him down. But we are adjusting fast... :) Also he doesnt wake up 5 x a night anymore!@!!! lol

Hes awake once around 5 am. :)

*Fiona* January 24th, 2010 08:09 AM

That's great he is sleeping so much better! I bet that's a big plus of weaning for you :)

*Fiona* March 9th, 2010 03:11 AM

Hey! Check-in with us and let us know how you and Nevan are doing?