JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Weaning (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f474-weaning/)
-   -   How to do this very gently... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f474-weaning/2059919-how-to-do-very-gently.html)

Dacontay4 August 1st, 2010 08:14 PM

How to do this very gently...

I have an almost 14 year old beautiful little girl named Evalyn. She's very much a boobie baby, we're going on at least 10-12 times a day still, and she's a BIG initiator. My dream for her was to self wean and breastfeed beyond 2. But I'm pregnant now, and it's extremely high risk b/c of incompetent cervix so I've made the agonizing decision to wean her and hope she unweans once the baby comes. I don't want to risk anything happening to Lil Bean. I want to do this fairly quickly...I'm almost 10 weeks now and I'd like her to be off the breast before the very risky part of my pregnancy comes around but I also want to do it very gently.

We co-sleep which is getting hard since she nurses 2-3 times at night and now she's starting to wake up at all hours of the night...I'm going to have to move her out of my bed before the baby comes so I was thinking of moving her to a crib and cut out night feeding at the same time...but that might be too much change for her all at once. I just feel like it'll be really hard to cut night nursing when we're sleeping together. She is very prone to allergies...her sister has SEVERE multiple food allergies, and I have celiacs disease which is why I wanted to bf her as long as possible but I do have a lot of frozen breast milk stored that I have been saving up. So maybe I can make that last a few months.

Any advice on how to gently wean a toddler that LOVES to nurse?

FyreMommy2B August 6th, 2010 08:07 AM

Re: How to do this very gently...

I don't know the answer to this but I hope someone can provide you some good answers. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. :dothug:

Zoostergirl August 15th, 2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dacontay4 (Post 21054640)
I have an almost 14 year old beautiful little girl named Evalyn. She's very much a boobie baby, we're going on at least 10-12 times a day still, and she's a BIG initiator.

Any advice on how to gently wean a toddler that LOVES to nurse?

Hmm, I'm guessing you're not nursing a teenager. :lol: But as for weaning Evalyn, I'm hoping it goes okay. I'm thinking seriously about weaning my 18 month old boobaholic. I love that you have pumped milk for her. Will she take a bottle? (My girl never would). Maybe you can wean her from breast to bottle and mix in a little milk (if she's not allergic) to make the breastmilk last longer?

Distract her with fun stuff like bubbles, going outside, dancing, etc. during the day. And let me know if you think of anything to help with the night weaning. I would enlist my DH if I could, but he's not really into that. :rolleyes:

TripleAmommy April 29th, 2011 07:44 PM

Here's an article on Night Weaning. Hope it helps
Sleep, Changing Patterns In The Family Bed | Jay Gordon, MD FAAP