JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Widely Spaced Siblings (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f282-widely-spaced-siblings/)
-   -   "oh an Oops" (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f282-widely-spaced-siblings/1580178-oh-oops.html)

SerenaPlusXander May 30th, 2009 05:05 PM

"oh an Oops"

I swear if I here that one more time I am likely to snap. My dd is 7 years old(Serena) and our son (Xander) is (ironically) 7 weeks on Monday

Why do people think that just because there is an age gap it's an OOPS. I assure you it wasn't. In fact we tried for about a year before we conceived him. Before that we just weren't ready. Serena was a welcomed surprise. I didn't want anymore until we were married and living in a house. We had a 2 bedroom apartment and also we wanted to be sure our jobs were stable. We didn't get married immediately because we didn't want her to be the motivation to us getting married. We had her in 2001, engaged 2004, married 2005 and then the two year search for a house began. We bought and moved into a house in August 2007 and immediately started to try. We got our BFP August 2008. I had a due date of May 5, 2009 but he made his early appearance on April 13.

Anyway it just frustrates me that people think because there is a gap you didn't mean for it to be. This is what worked for us. And let me tell you have being on bedrest this pregnancy I do not regret having a 7 year old. I cannot imagine how chaotic it would have been if she were any younger!

Ma-2-Thing 1-2-n-3 May 30th, 2009 06:09 PM

Re: "oh an Oops"

That is why mine is so far apart, only I was on bedrest with my first for the whole time. Couldn't imagine having a little one and being on bedrest again. And my husband and I weren't married when we had him.

jtcpb12 May 31st, 2009 03:43 AM

my daughter is 15,, I'm tired & i'm sure she does get sick of hearing,,," oh well look you have a built in babysitter,,,, We try to play it off,, but,,, no one knows our situation,,, i'm on off my feet rest & have been since 24 weeks ( 13 mar ) she had to become "ME" really quick,, she takes better care of me than my husband does for pete sake!!!

I'm sorry your dealing with that.. & Yes i hear ALL the time on how ruff it is being on bed rest with a / more small children...We are all lucky to have them spaced apart.. it does make life easier. :) I hope you have a better day

P>S> congrats on your new LO :)

SerenaPlusXander May 31st, 2009 07:57 AM

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Thanks!

jtcpb12 June 2nd, 2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerenaPlusXander (Post 16026121)
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Thanks!

Thank you that means alot :)

LovinMyGirls June 2nd, 2009 06:11 PM

People can be so ignorant! Sorry they keep saying that to you!

wanting#2 June 3rd, 2009 09:15 AM

I swear when it comes to pregnancy people can not keep their mouths shut and I think their brain dies. I don't know how many people say really stupid comments that they would probably never say. Like having your belly touched by everyone isn't bad enough. When I was pregnant with DH my fingers were swollen and I had to take off my wedding band and I actually had ladies come up and feel sorry for me being pregnant and unwed! I couldn't believe it.

rebeccabaltimore and more June 8th, 2009 06:25 PM

I'm 13 years older than my twin brothers. I got very sick of being called a built in babysitter, and my mom got tired of being asked if she was the grandma (and once, the NANNY!)

SerenaPlusXander June 8th, 2009 07:20 PM

wow some people have but makes me feel better that i am not the only one that lives by ignorant comments.

KristinaL June 10th, 2009 06:57 PM

I think it's natural for people to just sort of make assumptions and jump to conclusions that if you went for so long without having a child that you weren't planning on having another one. Which is all good and fine, I have the same questions and thoughts myself but I know how i'd feel if somebody asked me if it was an ooops or assumed out loud it was so I keep those things to myself unless I know the person and can ask "was it planned?" with them knowing i'm not trying to be offensive.

inklady9 June 17th, 2009 03:21 PM

My kids are almost 14, 7 and I am expecting again in late December this year.
We planned to space them this far apart. Some people are so insensitive.

jovon_84 June 19th, 2009 02:34 PM

I am pregnant with my 1st but saw this board and wanted to check it out because I am 25 my middle sister is 18 and my little sister is 11. Anytime that we went some where when my little sister was a baby everyone always ask me "How old is your baby?" This was upseting to me and my mom. Even now if I go some where with my littlest sister everyone always says "You and your daughter look just a like."