2. Discuss the following. When and where was Ferdinand Magellan born? Magellan was a soldier as a boy. Whose army did he serve in? In 1517, Magellan married. Can you remember the name of his wife?
3. Sailors would be gone for long periods of time when they went out to sea. They would store up food for their travels. What type of food did they bring? How did they preserve their meat?
4. Let's make our own sea rations.
Ingredients: 4 cups flour, 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix flour, water, and salt in a bowl
- Knead into a dough
- Roll out dough on flour surface and cut into square pieces
- Place pieces on flat baking sheet
- Cook at 350° F for 25-30 minutes or until brown.
Ingredients: 1 1/2 lbs. of meat, 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/3 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 tsp. of black pepper, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder or minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Slice meat into thin pieces
- Mix all ingredients in a Ziplock bag and place meat inside to marinade.
- Allow to sit at least several hours, overnight is even better. (You may choose to marinade the night before.)
- Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet and place on bottom rack of oven to catch drippings.
- Lay out strips of meat on top rack of oven.
- Bake at the lowest temperature setting and leave the oven door open to allow moisture to escape.
- Check the meat after 5 hours.
- It could take as long as 8 hours to dry meat
4. The Treaty of Tordesillas was signed by Spain and Portugal in 1494. A treaty is a formal agreement between two nations or states. Let's write our own treaty.
Do you have something you argue about with someone in your family? Do you and your siblings have to share toys, the TV, or something else? Do you try and avoid doing chores for your mother? Write a treaty on how you can agree on this issue. Make a name for your treaty and make sure everyone signs your treaty.
1. Read pages 14-15 in Magellan.
2. Magellan found a narrow path leading from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean. What is the seaway called today? Can you find the Magellan strait on a map?
3. Discuss the following. What was the name of Magellan's ship that was wrecked in a violent storm? Which ship headed back to Spain?
4. Magellan and his crew saw many kinds of sea creatures on their journey. Many of Magellan's crew thought they were sea monsters. Some of the sea animals they saw were manta rays, flying fish, whales, seals, porpoises, and squid. Can you think of any other sea creatures they might have saw?
5. Pick one sea animal to write a short report about. Use a book, encyclopedia, magazine, or the internet to find information about your animal. Include a drawing of your sea creature in your report.
1. Read pages 16-17 in Magellan
2. Magellan and his crew were running out of food and water. What did the hungry sailors sell as food?
3. On March 6, 1521, they reached the island of Guam. Can you find Guam on a map? Why did they leave the island of Guam?
4. The sailors finally reached a safe land on the island of Cebu. They renamed Cebu the Philippines. Can you find the Philippines on a map? Who were the Philippine Islands named after?
5. The sailors became sick with a disease called scurvy. Survey is caused from lack of vitamin C. Do you know what foods you find vitamin C in? Vitamin C is found in fruits and vegetables. If you were traveling out to se what foods would you pack to prevent scurvy?
Let's make a vitamin C lunch (or snack). Choose 3 of the foods listed below to include in your lunch.
Foods that contain vitamin C:
Vegetables: green peppers, red peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, turnip greens, mustard greens, winter squash, cabbage, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and brussel sprouts
Fruits: citrus fruits, citrus juices, strawberries, cantaloupe, papaya, mango, watermelon, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapples
6. Eating fruits and vegetables is very important to keep your body healthy. Write a silly story titled "The Boy Who Wouldn't Eat Vegetables".
1. Read pages 18-19 in Magellan.
2. Discuss the following. Magellan and the King of Cebu became friends. Magellan converted the king and many of the islanders to Christianity. How did Magellan decide to help the king in exchange for his kindness? How did Magellan die? Where was Magellan buried?
3. What happened to the ship the Concepcion? How many ships were left from the original five ships?