My baby boy is 4!!

Where did the last 4 years go?! It seems like such a blur at points now, and it makes me kind of sad. Seamus is such a silly, goofy, helping (at times, lol), wild and crazy boy. I love him so much and want him to stay little forever. It makes me sad thinking that he only has 14 years (which I’m sure will go fast) left at home.

Here’s his birth story that I wrote back in 2006:

Seamus Patrick Allen was born on Tuesday July 18th @ 10:12pm. He weighed 7lbs 9oz!!!!!! So much smaller then they thought! He was 21inches long.

July 18th, 2006

We went into the hospital on Monday night, and they put something called cyododell(sp) on my cervix to help to dilate. They inserted it at around 10pm Monday night. The nurse told me that most people just dilate with the pill in place and nothing else. Well, I had been having contractions that I couldn’t tell, and the pill made them worse. I called my mom to come at 3am, and the nurse put in the IV and Group B Strep medication, at 6am she came back and started the pitocin at 2ml per hour. In an hour, they upped it to 4 and a half an hour, then later upped it to 6, and about every half hour after that she upped it 2 more ml. At 8am, the doctor checked me. I was 70% effaced, at 2 cm and station -3, so he broke my water. At around noon, I was at 4 cm and about 90% dilated. At 9am, they put in the epidural, and I didn’t have any pains from contractions at all!

At around 8:30 pm, I was in and out of sleep because of a horrible headache I had, and they had given me something for it. I started saying my bum was going to explode, and my mom laughed until I said it a lot, and they got the nurse. I was 10cm, fully effaced, and at +1 station, so pushing began at about 9pm Tuesday. I was very sick feeling from the headache and thought I was going to faint, but I never did. I swear I was going to rip every muscle down there. I felt the stinging and pulling and stretching and pushed for an hour, shockingly only screaming a few times. The doctor used the vacuum, because I was getting weaker. Then, with 4 pushes and vacuum help, he popped out!

They placed him on my chest, and I just grabbed him, and so did my fiance. I cried and said that my fiance needed to cut the cord, and the doc let him. Then I delivered the placenta, which felt a little strange. They fixed my epsiomity – I believe it was a 2, so they have 4 stitches on the second layer and 4 on the top. Seamus’ Apgars were 8 and 9. He laid on my chest for an hour bare skin on bare skin, and we tried to breast feed but he would take to it then. The nurse took him, washed him, and gave him his eye drops, vitamin K, and Hep B shots. They did his blood sugars, which needed to be above 40, and it was 58 so he was good. They took his picture and gave him to my fiance.

I had to wait for the epidural to wear off so they could move me to the postpartum room, but it was too strong. At 2:30, the nurse came in and said it was time to move because my left leg was starting to have feeling again, but when they stood me up I fell to the floor because my legs were too week, which was shocking considering my right leg never went numb from the epidural but my left leg was dead from it. So my fiance had to lift me to a wheelchair, and when we got to the room, they took Seamus to the NICU because his breathing wasn’t good. My fiance then lifted me to the bed, and the nurse sat ice under me. I said I needed to pee, and she said wait an hour or two. I said no, I’m going to pee now, and they got a commode and lifted me to it. I filled the bucket with a ton of pee, which was good since I didn’t fill the catheter that was in place earlier very well.

At around 6am they brought Seamus back, and he was good. Later that day, the pediatrician came in and said that we would have to stay, because Seamus was throwing up pretty badly. Then the lactation specialist came in and we found out that Seamus would try to take my nipples, but because they weren’t big enough for him to take, I got a nipple guard plastic thing that I put over it for him to get milk from. He got severe jaundice and had to be under lights from Thursday afternoon to Friday morning, but is ok now!

(This is how I wrote it in 2006 – though I did go and correct some spellings. I believe it was the day after we got out of the hospital, so it’s not very fluid, lol.)

Leave a Reply