View Single Post
August 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Twhylite21 Twhylite21 is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
On Sunday, 8/3/08, my best friend Diane came over to hang out. She has been attending Bradley method childbirth classes with me and along with my husband was to be my labor coach. I was joking during dinner that it'd be hilarious if after she left for home I went into labor and she had to drive back (about 30-45 minutes) that night.

So, Diane left around 10pm and I was hanging out with DH. I was eating some watermelon and got up to do the dishes when I felt like I peed my pants. So I went up to the bathroom and out came a bunch of fluid and bloody show. I still wasn't positive my water broke though. So, I just relaxed a bit and called Diane, who had just gotten back home!! She turned around and came back. She got here around 1130pm and we went for a walk around the neighborhood to see if we could get things going.

I started having contractions around 1230. They started out at every 7 minutes and progressed to every 4 minutes within an hour. I got into the shower just to help me relax and was really focused on abdominal breathing and staying calm. It wasn't painful...just felt like tons of pressure to me. By 330am they were coming every 2-3 minutes and lasting over 60 seconds. At that point I was getting nauseated and shaky so I thought maybe I was hitting transition.

We decided to head to the hospital at that point. The car ride was horrible!!! The freeway is undergoing construction and was full of bumps/pot holes!! We got to the hospital a little after 4am and got put into triage in L&D. They didn't check me until about 445 because they had so many people in. When they checked me I was 100% effaced, -2 station, but only 4cm dilated!!! I was just like "I have to be more than that!!".

I was still having contractions every 2 minutes roughly and they were lasting for over a minute at a time, so they admitted me into a room. They came back to check my progress at 630 and I was 9.5cm dilated! I remember saying "Thank God!". The nurse was like "Good thing you didn't want an epidural because it's too late now!"

I started to want to push around 7am but had a tiny bit of cervix left. So I laid on my side for a bit, which seemed to intensify the contractions but it made the lip of cervix disappear. At 7:15 I started to push when I felt the urge, which seemed really often. The pushing felt great for me, I was happy to be working with the contractions finally. Lily Claire was born at 7:51am! She started pooping the second she came out which was kind of funny.

She weighed 7lbs, 6oz. 19 3/4 inches long. Dark gray/slate colored eyes, dimples on both cheeks too! It was amazing! I was so happy I did it the way I wanted without an epidural or anything. I never even asked for meds at all, which I thought I might do. I just kept saying "I can't believe I did it!" afterwards.

I did have a minor tear that needed stitches, but that was it.

I'm so enthralled with my new baby girl!! DH is over the moon too!


Reply With Quote