View Single Post
July 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
nvr.4.gtn nvr.4.gtn is offline
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 41,401
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
On the 10th I had my 39 week midwife appointment. My parents would be her eon the 11th, I kept praying that Avery would make their appearance before they had to leave to go back to Indiana!.

I was measuring 35 weeks (up one week) Baby was measuring between 6 1/2 and 7 pounds. I asked my midwife for an internal to see if their was any progress and asked if she could do a sweep I was more then willing to let her. haha, I was measuring just under 2cm and 80% effaced. She said I was very stretchy though and that she could stretch me to about a 3 to 3 1/2. The sweep was not bad at all, uncomfortable but not painful. She told us that if it was going to work, most likely it would be withing 24 hours. So we went to McDonalds with Nichole and then came home.

That night I had braxton hicks all night but no stronger then normal just more often. By morning I was having menstral like cramping and just hoping that something was happening down there. I did some cleaning around the house, sweeping and organizing. The cramps kept up through the day but nothing was getting stronger. By lunch time, I called DH at work to let him know just to keep his phone handy, just in case.

By around 4pm, still having menstral like cramping but I was losing hope that the sweep worked. DH went to the store on the way home from work to get me some pineapple (and stuff for dinner), he came home around 5:30. I had 1 piece of pineapple (must have worked lol) and started to feel stronger contractions. They didn't hurt but I felt the urge to keep moving through them. Started pacing the house just looking for something to do, felt like I drank a pot of coffee. By 6:30 I was starting to get uncomfortable. I decided to take a bath to see if they would slow things down, or progress the further. The bath did nothing. When I got out at 7, I put Nichole to bed and had 2 fairly strong contractions. Told DH he might want to call into work and let them know I might be in labor. I was still in denial that anything was really happening. I was so scared they would fizzle out. Called my friend Emily (who would be picking Nichole up at the birthing center if I was in labor) I talked to her and she asked me how far aprt they were. I didn't know as I was not keeping track of them. So she did for me. She informed me they were 3 minutes apart so it was time to call the midwife. By the time I called her it was 10 pm. She said she would meet up at the center.

We got there at 10:50pm and the contractions were strong enough that I had to get on all fours and rock back and forth. I was having bad back labor. DH was awesome and standing behind me and puttin his fists into my lower back to try to even out the pain. She checked me then and I was only dilated to a 4.

She told me to try to walk around for about an hour (haha like that would happen), my friend got there around 11:30 to get Nichole. The contractions were strong and very painful but I was breathing through them and just concentratind hard. In between contractions I went to the car and told Nichole that she would be spending the night at her friends house and i would see her in the morning, I also told her she would have a baby sister coming moring. She was so tired, but still managaed ti smile and say "YAY!"

While outside I had 2 big contractions that forced me to get on all fours on the sidewalk!! lol Bet that was a great site!

Went back inside and had a few more contractions before getting in the tub. I still was not sure if I wanted a water birth but I decided to try the tub out. The midwife used lavender aromatherapy that smelled so nice!! I got in the tub at midnight.

The contractions were very intense for lack of a better word. I had to keep telling myseld to "breath just breath" over and over. I also kept telling myself "One more contraction closer to being done" It seemed to help as I never lost control, never eflt like I couldn't do it. And some point I told the midwife I felt like I needed to push though it wasn't strong, jsut light pushes, she told me to hold off as long as I could, but if I felt the urge to jsut listen to my body. She monitored baby 3 times. Twice after a contraction and once during with the doppler.

I told her again I had to push some, she went to check me, and just before she did my water broke. She then checked me. She said I had jsut a bit of a lip left. I asked her how far I was. She said about an 8. I was so glad I was so close. As soon as she finished checkign though, the urge to push was INTENSE!! I could help it any more, I had to push and I couldn't stop. As soon as that urge hit though the back labor was gone. After about 3 pushes (which the midwife NEVER told me to do anything) I started to feel the glorious ring of fire! lol Yep it feels just like they it sounds. I pushed just a few times and I could feel her head pop out. It really wasn't as bad as I imagined, but the shoulders hit. WOW did her shoulders hurt coming out. The midwife kept telling me to try to slow down the pushing some and do small controlled pushing, didn't work, my body wanted her out! Pushed a few more times and I could feel her just come out. What an amzaing feeling. As soon as she was out the pain was just gone. There was no pain what so ever.
her cord was very short so it was a maneuver to get turned around in order to hold her. I couldn't bring her to my chest, just hold her out on my legs. The cord stopped pulsating after about 5 minutes and daddy cut it. I then was able to hold her up to my chest. She was just so perfect, her colring was so good she was given a 10/10 apgar score.
They drained the water, and I delivered the placenta while holding my baby in my arms. I was then rinsed off with Avery and we layed down on the bed. We were given as much time as we wanted to bond with her. Curiosity got the best of me and we asked for her to be weighed and measured.

Avery Rose was born on July 1thh 2009 (lucky 7/11) at 12:30am. Just over an hour and half after getting to the birthing center. Only about 45 minutes of hard laboring.
We left at 3:30 and were home by 4:30. Just 4 hours after birth!

What an amazing experience to have a natural childbirth.

I did tear pretty good though, (about an inch long) but only a 1st degree so over all not so bad. Probably because I had to push at only an 8.

(sorry this is so long I wanted to have it all there as this is what I will use for her baby book as well)

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Reply With Quote