View Single Post
August 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
kruff79 kruff79 is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,649
I started contracting again on Sunday and by late evening I was thinking that it was finally it. We walked the neighborhood a couple times and tried to go to bed at 10 pm. By 11:30 I had a 3-5 minute pattern and we decided to get everything and the kids ready to go. We got to the hospital about 2 am on Monday and they put us on a monitor for a bit and then had us walk around for a while. They were almost ready to send us home but between 7 am and 8 am I went from 2 cm to 4 cm and they decided to keep us. I labored at 4 cm untill about noon and in the next hour I jumped to 6 cm. They decided to break my water, and then started pitocin an hour later. I got stuck at 6 for a while and finally jumped to 8cm at about 10 pm. By now Gabe was getting stressed out and I was having 3 contractions on top of each other and then would get a 2 or 3 minute break. Gabe was having a hard time bringing his heart rate back up during the breaks. We struggled with the decision of whether to get an epidural or not. We were stuck with a chance that by getting in bed I would stall, or do we continue and hope that I could try to relax enough for Gabe to be alright. We ended up getting the epi, hoping that I would relax enough to let Gabe recover a little and hoping I would dialate too. For the next 2 hours the nurses rolled and repositioned me to try to get Gabe in a spot where he wasn't stressing. One side of my cervix was gone, but I was still only 8 cm, the other side wouldn't go away. And no matter how I was positioned it wouldn't change and Gabe was getting less happy really quickly now. We made the decision to go with a c/s at about midnight and he was born at 12:44 am. His head had a lot of molding, and when it came to pulling him out they had to unstick his shoulder from my pelvis and hip. Turns out that the way he was wedged in he was coming down just a little off center and it could have been hours before we could have gotten him to move, if we could have gotten him to move at all. Over all I am really happy with my birth, I never felt like we were being pressured into the OR and I felt like the nurses and the L&D staff really tried everything to make my vbac happen. And I walked away feeling like I am Superwoman anyway, not only did I labor for that long, I could not be more thrilled with the fact that I made it as long as I did on pit without the epi. I really feel like we tried everything we could have. So I am happy with my birth.
Mom to 3 (1998, 2000, and 2009), step-mom to 1 (1995), two four-legged babies who bark, wife and full time student.
My days are busy, my house is messy, and my heart is full!
Reply With Quote