View Single Post
April 25th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Courtney_79's Avatar
Courtney_79 Courtney_79 is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,070
Send a message via Yahoo to Courtney_79
I went for my 36 week ultrasound on Weds, October 7 and all was well with the u/s. They estimated my peanut at 6 lbs, 12 ozs and guesstimated him to be an upper 8 pouner if we went full term. After that my doc came in to see me and after assessing my urine and BP...I was sent down to L&D for a NST and find out I have mild preeclapsia and was put on modified bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy. At that time I was told that they wanted to 'try' and get me to 37 weeks and they wanted me in every other day for NST. On Saturday the 10th, after my test, the docotr on call came in and decided it would be best to induce me that night. I was beyond shocked! I had so much to do yet and was just not ready for this!!! After frantically calling my mom, DH and going home for my bags and to eat something...I was admitted at 3pm and was gived cervadil and a magnesium drip at 5:30pm.

The next morning, they took out the cervadil and I was 50% effaced and 2 cm dialted, so they started my pitocin at 11am on a very small dose. By 3pm I had not made any more progress, so they up'd the pitocin and inserted some balloon type mechanism (LOL...I dont remember what it was called. The magnesium made me completely out of it!) to help me dilate more. At around 7pm I went into the bathroom and the balloon had fallen out and I was 4cm and 70% effaced. I forgot to mention that I was on only 20 cc's of water due to the magnesium drip. I think that was the worst part of the entire experience. Lord knows when you start breathing through contractions you get cotton mouth!
AT that time the were upping the pitocin every 15 minutes and by 11pm I was on the highest dose allowed, and to be honest, I am much stronger than I thought. The contractions were not as bad as I had been imagining for so long!! At about midnight I finally gave in and got the epidural, just so I could hopefully get a few hours of sleep. I was still only 4cm and 70% effaced, so the doc wanted to give me a couple of hours and see where I was then we would proceed from there. I woke at 2am, and was still not progressing. I was tired, thirsty and DONE. I told the nurse to page the doctor because I wanted a c-section. Now I am the person who was scared out of my mind of a c-secion and swore I would do everything in my power to not have one. The thing that really made me decide on it was that Owen's heart rate was dipping everytime I had a contraction and it scared the nurse told me we could still be looking at about up to 12 hours if I wanted to deliver vaginally. I just could not do it.

Finally at about 2:45am on Monday, October 12th (36 hours after I was admitted) I was wheeled into the delivery room and Owen was born at 3:10am. They gave me something that made me pretty tranquil though the whole thing because I was panicked and shaky. I don't remember much, but I heard him cry for the first time and heard DH talking to him although it felt like they were a million miles away from me. He weighed 6 pounds even and was 20 inches long.

They knew right away that he was having some lung issues so they monitored him closely. AT 7:30am they came in to inform us that they were transporting him to Akron Children's Hospital because he has a bit of fluid in his lungs and he was working a little too hard to breath. I have never cried so hard in my life as when the transport team wheeled my baby in and I had to say goodbye. I didnt even get to hold him, because it took awhile for me to become conscious again after the surgery. He was so tiny in that huge transport unit Thankfully the nurses in my hospital were a God send and were wonderful in comforting me and reassuring me that it was the right thing to do in sending him there. Akron is a level 4 NICU and my hospital just doesnt compare to that. That night I was lying in bed and could feel my breasts getting fuller and I started feeling guilty that I wasnt doing everything in MY power to get him better. I had every intention of bottle feeding until that point, so I called in the nuse and she got me set up with a breast pump. My DH has been so wonderful this week. He went and spent time with Owen in the NICU and transported my brest milk to and from Akron twice a day for 2 days until I was released from the hospital. I couldnt stand the thought of my baby being all alone in that NICU, so DH stayed 4-5 hours at a time. I think it was a nice bonding experience for him and Owen.

Wednesday I was released at around noon and we went right up to the hospital to see him. He was getting stronger each day, and was using less and less oxygen. As soon as I saw him I knew everything would be ok...and all of the pain I had from that surgery went away as soon as I was able to touch him. It was surreal for me because I had this huge belly one minute, and the next I am back to normal size and I still hadnt held my baby so he didnt even seem real to me until that moment. On Thurseday I was FINALLY able to get him out and hold him and they let me nurse him. He took to it rather well for the first time, and on Friday he was an old pro at it. Deciding to breast feed was the best decision I have ever made. I am still pumping a lot because he still isnt eating a whole lot, but I am glad I did what I did.

I called up to check on hium Sunday morning and they told me he was getting his first vaccine, getting tranferred to an open air bed and to bring my car seat so they could do a carseat challenge on him. They planned on sending him home Monday evening. I cried...again...because finally our little family could be together. This was the hardest, most stressful and emotionally challenged week of my life. I got to know a couple of other NICU mothers and I realized how truly blessed we are that he was only in for a week. What little fighter I have!
Reply With Quote