JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2007 Birth Stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f426-2007-birth-stories/)
-   -   Kellan Martin's Birth Story (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f426-2007-birth-stories/593334-kellan-martin-s-birth-story.html)

meanboys May 31st, 2007 09:35 PM

On Monday the 7th of May I had my routine OB appt. The doctor confirmed that the baby was extremely high and that everything was tight and closed. We discussed my scheduled C-section date of June 6th (my birthday and my dad's birthday).

Later that week I completed all of my pre-registration info with the hospital and got the information from them on what time to show up on June 6th for my c-section. My mom was spending the week with me because we wanted to have a garage sale the following week so we spent most of our time cleaning, moving, sorting, etc. I commented on Wednesday that I had a pinching sensation in my groin and we decided that perhaps I was overdoing it so I tried resting as often as I could. I came to Justmommies and posted a question about the pinching and what it might be. Only a couple of people responded and no one could give me a confirmation on what I was feeling so I thought it was just more of the routine pains of pregnancy. Being that it was my 4th pregnancy and my age (38) I thought that my body was just more sensitive. I was also going to the bathroom to pee constantly and I thought maybe it was just the baby putting pressure on my bladder that was causing the cramps.

Thursday and Friday I kept noticing the pinching pain and also noticed that my belly was starting to harden each time I had the pain. I assumed they were BH contractions and continued to ignore them.

Saturday morning we had to get up early as my 2 boys had soccer games. I had to lug chairs and bags, etc. across the field and as I sat watching the games I again said to my mom that I didn't feel well and the pinching pain was getting worse. It was to the point where I was becoming distracted by them. I went home and rested and then reluctantly got up to go to my waitressing job. I felt exhausted and in pain but I figured maybe going to work would help.
As the night went on, I found myself actually stopping and bracing myself each time the pinch came. I asked my girlfriend if she thought I was in labor and she freaked and then got excited telling me, "You are SO having that baby tomorrow!" I kind of kept quiet about how much discomfort I was experiencing. I snuck away and called my doctor because I started to worry. He told me they were just BH and that because of the way everything had looked on Monday he was confident the baby wasn't coming this soon. But, he cautioned me that if the contractions got worse and/or 5 minutes apart he wanted me to head to the hospital.

I went home that night totally worn out. I tried to sleep but the contractions kept waking me up. Finally at 4 in the morning I got online and started looking up information on BH vs. real labor. I got in the shower, drank a big bottle of water and walked around a bit. I sat back down at the computer and realized that the contractions were not going away. I started timing them and then got nervous when I realized they were getting longer in length and closer together. It didn't take long to realize they were coming 5 minutes apart. I went upstairs and woke up my parents and told my dad that I thought we should go to the hospital. We packed quickly and took off. I called my doctor in the meantime. It was 6:30 in the morning.

The ride there takes about 45 minutes and every time I had a contraction I was gripping the dashboard and breathing. I would have to stop talking to my dad every time one came. It was the longest ride of my life!

When we got to the hospital there were NO other L&D patients there so all the nurses were excited to see me come in so they had something to do. They expressed concern at the fact that I was only 35 weeks and said that we'd figure out what was going on and that likely I'd end up going home. They had me change into a gown and leave a urine sample then they hooked me up to the fetal monitor. It took a really long time for the nurse to find the heartbeat and for those few minutes I was paralyzed with fear thinking that something was wrong with the baby. She finally found the heartbeat and I breathed a sigh of relief. The other nurse checked my urine sample and immediately said, "Oh honey, you are SOOOO dehydrated, AND you have a raging bladder infection." I had NO idea! They brought me pitchers of water and told me to start drinking. They also told me that the infection was likely causing the cramps and that after they got me hydrated and the doc on call came to check me, they'd give an antibiotic and send me home. My dad and I called my mom and told her we'd be home in a little while.

In the meantime, I was watching the monitor and seeing that each contraction was getting harder and stronger. I became increasingly uncomfortable and as I laid there I commented to my dad several times that I wish they'd hurry up with an antibiotic so I could stop the pain. There was lots of discussion about me from the nurses as they debated whether or not I was in labor. A couple of times they'd come in and ask, "Are you feeling those contractions?" and of course I was barely able to say "YES!!! Very much so!" After what seemed like ages, the doctor on call came in. The nurses told him what was going on with my bladder and dehydration and he seemed confident that he'd check me out quickly and then discharge me. He did an internal which was horribly uncomfortable and it didn't take long for him to say, "She's dialated to 4 and the bag of waters is bulging. Call her doctor back and tell him we're delivering."

After that, everyone flipped into "delivery" mode and everything was a blur. Before I knew it they were paging anesthesia, I was having blood drawn, a catheter inserted, an IV line inserted and signing all the necessary papers. We called my mom and told her, "Change of plans, we're having the baby today!" As they started prepping, the nurse asked, "Are you okay with all this?" and at that point, I was like, "Do I have a choice??" I was scared but excited that just like *that* I was going to be meeting my new son.

The on-call doctor had checked me at 9:15 a.m and by 9:45 we were in the OR and I was being prepped for surgery. My dad suited up and got ready to go with me for the birth. The anesthesiologist was the best guy ever. I can't imagine a nicer man or a more "easy" spinal. Once I laid down, nurses were buzzing around the room prepping me and my doctor and dad came in. I thought I felt my legs still tingling but then my doc was asking, "Can you feel me pinching you?" and I was shocked that I had absolutely no feeling so quickly. Right before they started it occurred to me to ask if they thought the baby would be okay. They said if anything he might need help breathing and the neonatal staff was standing by. I had not even thought about the fact that the baby would be born a "preemie". My dad held my hand and we got started.

They called the first incision at 10:01 a.m. There was some tugging and pulling and the next thing I knew, the doctor was holding up my son and he was gorgeous. He was born at 10:04. Three minutes. That's all it took. It was quiet for a minute and then I heard the baby crying and the nurses calling out his Apgars of 9-9-9. That's when I breathed a sigh of relief. I could tell that my dad was amazed and touched by the experience of being there and that was a special moment for me. He got up and went to the baby and started telling me all about him. They bundled up the baby and brought him to nuzzle with me for a couple of minutes before they took him to do his post partum work up. After stitching me up, I was wheeled into the recovery room where my son was and I got to lie there and watch as the nurses cleaned him up and took his stats. I never got to do that with my other kids so it was really amazing. As soon as they were done with him, I got to nurse him right away!

Kellan Martin was 6lbs, 15 oz, 19 inches and in perfect health. It was my favorite birth of all 4 of my kids - I felt nothing but pure joy from start to finish and it was the easiest and most pain-free delivery.

It was the best Mother's Day gift ever!

SusieQ2 May 31st, 2007 09:43 PM

I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am that things went so well for you. I know you had had a rough time so you totally deserved a wonderful birth experience. That is great that your dad was there and that you were able to share that moment together! Kellan is so handsome! You sure make some beautiful babies! You're right that is a great Mother's Day gift!

*Angel* May 31st, 2007 11:08 PM

That is a beautiful story Lee. I am so glad that it was so great for you! I hope Im as lucky for my 4th birth!! And for him to be so healthy for being early, your little Kellan is trully a miracle!! Congrats on a beautiful experience!!

yammie June 1st, 2007 10:10 PM

it's stories like this that make me love how the universe works.. you've had some rough times lately and had been feeling down for so long.. and then god and universe say OKAY enough is enough lets give this woman a break! and she gets the best birth and a beautiful healthy son. He is GORGEOUS you really need to get some more pics up! I hope everything is still going smoothly for you :) congrats

MDS0307 June 2nd, 2007 11:53 AM

Good story! :smile: Glad everything went well!!

Denise66 June 2nd, 2007 03:25 PM

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I cried reading it. I am so glad things went well. I agree with what someone said. You have been through some tough times and deserve a real blessing and you got it.

scorpioqueen June 5th, 2007 10:46 AM

What a beautiful story!

mrsroseblack June 5th, 2007 10:47 AM

What a great story! I'm so glad your dad could be there with you. :inlove:

Hart_N_Sole June 6th, 2007 04:28 PM

What a wonderful Momma's Day gift... Congrats!

SageLove September 11th, 2007 09:54 PM

Congratulations on your little one! :inlove:

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.