JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   2007 Birth Stories (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f426-2007-birth-stories/)
-   -   Drake Curtis (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f426-2007-birth-stories/600135-drake-curtis.html)

zoey June 6th, 2007 02:46 PM

We have a new bundle of joy! Hes amazing. Labor started at about 2am on Monday morning the 21st. I was due on the 27th. At 2am we had contractions coming in every 6-10 minutes that were about 60-75 seconds long. They were strong enough that I couldn't sleep through them, so we played Playstation in bed while we recorded the contractions. Later we packed our bags while waiting for the contractions to come closer together. We figured it wouldn't be long, so at about 6am we took the dogs out and gave them breakfast. We came in showered and got ready for the big day. Little did we know, the big day would be a long one. The contractions continued all day long, at 6-10 minutes apart. We tried various things to get the contractions to progress to the next phase, took the dogs for a long walk, took a bath, etc. But we'd go through phases of 6-8 minutes, and then 10-12 minutes, instead of reaching the next phase. My water hadn't broken, but I was having "bloody show" all day. By about 9pm I decided I wanted to go into Labor and Delivery to see if I was progressing. I called and talked to one of the nurses and she listened to what was going on and said that when I went into active labor (the next phase) that Id be breathing heavy between contractions and having contractions a lot closer together, and that I just wasn't there yet. She said sometimes the contractions can fizzle if you try to go to sleep and to stay home where I was comfortable and try to rest, watch a movie/sleep etc. All day I hadn't been able to sleep, the contractions were too strong when I would lay down. So I tried to prop pillows all around me so I could sleep sitting up. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. Each contraction came strong and long and the only relief was to get out of bed and walk it off, or bend over something to try to get the pressure off my back. I was reading our What to Expect When Your Expecting book to see if it said anything about the first phase being overly long. Everything I had read that day said at most 14 hours, and we were getting closer to 19 hours. Reading the book it sounded like we could be having trouble getting to the next phase because his head wasn't in the spot just right. I was having increased pain and back labor so I started to wonder if maybe his head was facing up instead of down.
Jeremy was able to fall asleep at about 11pm and I continued to track my contractions and walk them off. They became more intense and I was having a hard time catching my breath between. Jeremy woke up from my pacing and increased breathing and started recording them for me because I was having a harder time. Finally, we were 3-5 minutes apart. We had everything packed earlier so all we needed to do was clean up, change and hop in the van. Off we went to the hospital. The contractions in the van on the way were very tough, because I had to stay sitting. Finally we got to Labor and Delivery at about 1:30am on May 22nd, got checked in and one of the nurses came with a wheel chair to bring us to our room. The nurses hooked up the monitors and the contractions were coming very close and very intense. Jeremy and I worried that we were only 2 or 3 centimeters after all that work. We were delighted to find we were 5-6 centimeters. Contractions were coming along fast. The nurse said I needed to decide now If I was going to do pain medication otherwise it would be too late. At that point I was having such bad back labor and because we’d had contractions for 24 hours now I was getting more exhausted and worried if Id be able to push if I didn’t get some relief, so I decided to get paid medication.
I had a nice 3 hour span of relief on the medication and it wore off just in time to start pushing through contractions. I pushed for about an hour and a half. The doctor and nurse commented about how much hair he had as we got closer to him crowing. I ended up with 3 tears. One 2nd degree with stitches, the other two didn’t need stitches.
What a hansome man we have. Drake was born at 9:22am 7 lbs 6oz.
Drake has been very active and alert. He has the best head of dark hair. Hes one good looking boy! Will post pictures later.
The nurses here are wonderful. We couldn’t be happier. It was well worth every pain. Id do it all over again in a heart beat.

mamabirrd June 8th, 2007 02:54 AM

Congratulations zoey!!! Our boys have the same birthday. I loved your story and i'm so happy it all went so well!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.